Right from the start I acknowledge this thread will be an outlier in the sea of "Salespeople hate BlackBerry" nonsense that has been posted but I am sharing this just to show there are salespeople who do listen to the customer.

For, a while now I have been using as primary devices a Windows device for work (that won't change and I don't want it too) and a really underwhelming Android device for personal use.

I went to the local BestBuy today to look at new phones and after a short talk the salesperson asked me what were my priorities. I answered proven reliability, dead solid security and more than anything else, email that is second to none (I get hundreds of theses thins a day and 75% of them are actionable.)

After pondering a bit he asked if I was a touch screen or physical keyboard person (fancy that) and I answered keyboard.

Long and short, the guy recommended based purely on my stated needs the BlackBerry Q10.

I told him I had one for work until they made the switch and he proceeded to point out ALL the improvements we have been discussing from thr initial release up til now.

I am not sure I will go back to the Q10 (very tempted though) but I wanted to relay to all of you that there are salespeople out there who are versed in what they are selling, listen to their customers needs and try to sell them the appropriate device.

That young man knew his ish and was on point when it came to BlackBerry.
    05-04-14 08:53 PM
    Great story AG
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    05-04-14 09:00 PM
    Some people know how to do their job, they are rare nowadays.

Most of the salesmen try to hook you up with most expensive piece on the shelf, without paying attention to your needs.
    Last edited by puneet7073; 05-05-14 at 09:57 AM.
    bunky1971 likes this.
    05-04-14 09:01 PM
    Matt, that kid was great. He didn't try selling me anything except what I needed. Now, in all fairness, I am probably going to go legacy (9780) but I really appreciated that he was able to discern what was best for his customer as an individual.
    05-04-14 09:03 PM
    Roger that. That is why I posted this. This was an example of a salesperson looking at the person before them and not quotas, commissions, or any other metric. Kudos to this guy. I wish I could post his store (probably) and name (probably not)
    05-04-14 09:06 PM

Most of the salesmen try to hook you up with most expensive piece on the shelf, without paying attention to your needs.

On the contrary, I find sales people will try to move items that are not selling to clear them off the shelves before the new ones come in. Profit margin on cheaper brands also tend to be higher so they'll tend to push that over higher priced items with less profit % wise.. It depends on the company and shop. In some parts of Asia I've visited, there's always a bait & switch tactic where they hook you on a high priced item (with lower margin) and in the last minute tell you it's out of stock then they recommend a lower priced unit (with higher profit margin). Works like a charm especially on unsuspecting tourists.

05-04-14 09:17 PM
    Great to hear!! Hi AG!
    05-04-14 09:21 PM
    ah come on AG come to Qten club

Posted via CB10
    05-04-14 09:25 PM
    a legacy device eh. Be prepared to feel the wrath of some members here that think its crazy to like legacy still lol
    05-04-14 09:25 PM
    a legacy device eh. Be prepared to feel the wrath of some members here that think its crazy to like legacy still lol
    Belfast won't

Posted via CB10
    05-04-14 09:26 PM
    wow that guys is awesome we need more people like him.
    05-04-14 09:27 PM
    Great to hear!! Hi AG!
    Hey my arctic, sartorially deficient, flightless friend
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    05-04-14 09:28 PM
    ah come on AG come to Qten club
    Been there, done that, got a t-shirt to prove it

Yeah, I know, but my best option is MY best option.
    Uzi likes this.
    05-04-14 09:30 PM
    wow that guys is awesome we need more people like him.
    Word!! I talked to that guy for about 45 minutes and we went the gamut regarding platforms. I enjoyed every minute of it. It was like debating (discussing) you fine folk. Kid was on his "A-game"
    05-04-14 09:34 PM
    And that's why online shopping is better.
    Check products in the shop, then purchase online. Cheap as well. No 'sorry sir.we don't carry it, check this one instead' issues

05-04-14 09:38 PM
    When you said 'keyboard', for sure salesperson will recommend Q10.

I wonder what would he recommend if you prefer all touch screen.

? BBM channeling at C003910CB
    05-04-14 09:40 PM
    Good to hear. I wish there were more shop assistants like him.
    05-04-14 09:56 PM
    When you said 'keyboard', for sure salesperson will recommend Q10.

I wonder what would he recommend if you prefer all touch screen.
    I can actually answer that. If full touch were my option and all other things being equal his recommendations were the Note 3 and one of the Z series, all of which I dismissed out of hand. Many of you are but I am completely unproductive using a touch screen phone. My email volume alone makes a physical keyboard a total necessity. It just does.
    05-04-14 10:16 PM
    Great story AG. We need more salespersons that give recommendations based on customers needs. I am glad that he was attentive and listened to you. Just out of interest though, in what region was that Best Buy store located?

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy Note Tablet
    05-04-14 11:02 PM
    Perhaps you should get his details and advise his manager of the fine work he's doing. Might be nice to get positive feedback.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-14 11:32 PM
    I agree! Employees like that need to be publicly commended. I hope you not only posted your experience here but informed the management team of his excellent service!

Posted via CB10
    05-04-14 11:48 PM
    That's exactly how it's supposed to go. Nice to hear.

BBM CHANNEL-BB POWERED -C001C1D66
    05-05-14 12:05 AM
    Great to hear, but from reading these forums, not the norm.
    05-05-14 04:48 AM
    There are a few of us salespeople out there. Most of us care about technology in general and aren't bias. We choose what's best for our customers the way we choose for ourselves. This is through powering ourselves with facts, knowing the strengths and weaknesses, and being able to recall that information when it is needed.

I'm rocking a Z10 and 5c as daily drivers on my two accounts. My Note 3 is my tablet. I've got a 925 on the way to me for experimentation.

I'm glad you got a good experience. I've never had one at Best Buy myself but I wish I would. =)

�Sent from a larger than life device. Using Tapatalk�
    NinjaB likes this.
    05-05-14 06:01 AM
    Matt, that kid was great. He didn't try selling me anything except what I needed. Now, in all fairness, I am probably going to go legacy (9780) but I really appreciated that he was able to discern what was best for his customer as an individual.
    Check with Norriscell - he has a 9780 listed in the MarketPlace - you can get a legacy device for a good price!!!
    just for the record - I went from a Z30 to a 9630.....
    05-05-14 06:09 AM
44 12