So ja, my 10mnth old ate my bb and with the copious amount of gumming and drool my side function keys and top unlock button are no longer working. So I trawled the net looking for a keypad shortcut to unlock it but alas no luck. Out of sheer frustration/boredom/morbid fascination I just started randomly mashing the keys 2gether and lo up popped the "make an emergency call" option. Which unlocked my keypad and I just cancelled the call before it connected. Through repeating and refining this less than scientific method I have whittled it down to being the top row of keys (qwertyuiop) that provide the ER call function. I hope some one finds this info useful. I know I would have
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    05-04-14 05:30 AM
    Heh, kids huh?

I recall a TV remote being the victim of my son's drool - it never worked properly ever again LOL

I can't help as I can't recall a keyboard shortcut to unlock the phone. I doubt very much that one exists, as it would risk the phone unlocking as keys are randomly bashed when it's in your pocket wouldn't it?

Hopefully someone else will be able to help.
    05-04-14 06:51 AM
    The keyboard can be locked by a long press of the 'a' button, but can only be unlocked by the top button.

You have to pull the battery...
    05-04-14 06:59 AM
    Long time ago for me, so don't pin me. But I do believe a setting is available to unlock the device with the keyboard. Perhaps someone on a Legacy device could check and confirm?
    05-04-14 07:15 AM
    So ja, my 10mnth old ate my bb and with the copious amount of gumming and drool my side function keys and top unlock button are no longer working. So I trawled the net looking for a keypad shortcut to unlock it but alas no luck. Out of sheer frustration/boredom/morbid fascination I just started randomly mashing the keys 2gether and lo up popped the "make an emergency call" option. Which unlocked my keypad and I just cancelled the call before it connected. Through repeating and refining this less than scientific method I have whittled it down to being the top row of keys (qwertyuiop) that provide the ER call function. I hope some one finds this info useful. I know I would have
    I guess like the others I really should have paid more attention to the post.
    I don't know why I haven't learned my lesson. Thread titles are almost always deceiving.
    I now realize you are letting us know about your find instead of asking how to do it. LoL
    From what you stated it may be that you just hit the emergency 911/112 combination?
    About emergency calls and Emergency Callback Mode - BlackBerry Curve 9310/9315/9320 Smartphones - User Guide - BlackBerry Curve Series - 7.1
    Aside from this feature, the only other way I know is to pull the battery.

BTW. Welcome to CrackBerry!
    My apologies.
    05-04-14 07:30 AM
    Hmm... I'm not sure that mashing keys until the phone starts to dial the emergency services, and quickly cancelling the call before they respond, is what I'd call a robust workaround for drool-kill.

I think you might be buying a new BB soon. One with a working top button.

Keep the kid though... the "everything I hold, goes into my mouth" stage doesn't last long...
    05-04-14 07:56 AM
    When my torch's lock button broke a while ago, I used a password lock on it, then tap any letter and use the trackpad and type the password. And when locking the phone just tap the "a" key

Sent from my BlackBerry Q10 using Tapatalk
    05-04-14 09:10 AM