Dear All

I am an android user and I am looking to buy a Z10 as it looks extremely refreshing as an interface and I am pretty much impressed about the whole package as a whole - added to the fact that android apks are also available with the latest update.

Here are my following questions :

- I have heard complaints about the OS lagging at times . Is it true or are they only isolated cases ?
    - Also , in my country (India) only the STL100-1 variant of the Z10 is available . Is there any drawbacks of that model ?
    - I have used patched versions of many android apps and have had no issues running them on android . Can they be used on the blackberry Z10 ?
    - After an update , I have seen complains on the web that people have lost their contacts/data : Is it true ?
    - I understand the system is new - so what sort of glitches can I expect as of now ?
    - Where do I get updates from ? and in order to tune with the PC do I need anything ?
    - I often use the wifi hotspot on my android - is it available on the Z10?
    - Is their any issues with call quality ?
    - Are their lags while playing games ?

My primary uses :

Checking my gmail account , taking about 5-6 photos , checking a few social media apps like fb , whatsapp , checking about 5-6 pdfs , listening to about 2 hours of music ( Presently I use the jet audio pro [patched] on android - will that work ?) , about an hour of calls and web browsing for about 2 hours .

The phone that I use now has a battery of 3450 mah and it lasts almost 2 days easily , what sort of battery life do i get on the Z10 ?
    Also is it difficult to get acces to google services - which any android user will be accustomed with ?

Present device - Xolo B 700
    Last edited by Ravenrage; 05-03-14 at 01:25 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
    05-03-14 12:52 PM
    Although I probably can't help you on most of the questions you have j do however want to commend you on your English. You say you are from India yet your English and the use of words are very exceptional...
    And dare I say even better than some folks from here in the US. I was reading a thread earlier this morning where someone was being ridiculed because he wrote something inproper in English, we need to keep in mind that this site is like the United nations of Crackberry and everybody, from all over the world has problems or issues they'd like to address....

Posted via CB10 with z10
    Ravenrage likes this.
    05-03-14 01:00 PM
    Yes it does have hotspot capability and although you never mentioned anything about the camera, I think it's quite acceptable for your day to day picture taking.

Posted via CB10 with z10
    Ravenrage likes this.
    05-03-14 01:02 PM
    The leaks don't come out as often with the 1 variant

Q10 with Telus on 10.2.1.2141
    Ravenrage likes this.
    05-03-14 01:04 PM
    The leaks don't come out as often with the 1 variant

Q10 with Telus on 10.2.1.2141
    Oh no!!!!....not more leaks!!!!

Posted via CB10 with z10
    Ravenrage likes this.
    05-03-14 01:10 PM
    1. Yes it is laggy at times, can be frustrating.
    2. I'm not sure, if you search around the forum you'll probably get an answer.
    3. Yeah you just have to side load the apps.
    4. Nope no data lost for me, it usually happens when people restore from a backup as sometimes data can be corrupted while backing it up.
    5. As far as I've used my device, I haven't encountered any glitches.
    6. It's OTA updates now, so when updates are available you'll be notified in your hub and can download it on your phone and so on.
    7. Wifi hot spot is available on the z10, call quality for me is perfect and usually no lag while playing games other then the device getting hot which is normal.

Posted via CB10
    Ravenrage likes this.
    05-03-14 01:11 PM
    Go for it and you will not be disappointed for sure in comparison to any smartphone available in India.

Posted via CB10
    Ravenrage likes this.
    05-03-14 01:13 PM
    Do take charger bundle which gives an additional battery also.

Posted via CB10
    Ravenrage likes this.
    05-03-14 01:14 PM
    Thank you MB64 , also from the reviews it seemed that the Z10 has quite a good camera .

Thank you all for all those replies .
    05-03-14 01:30 PM
    Coming back from a note 2, the battery life is subpar. I would definitely recommend the 4500mAh battery and or the charging pack. Regardless if the battery life I do not miss my note 2.

Posted via CB10
    vgorous and Ravenrage like this.
    05-03-14 01:32 PM
    Coming back from a note 2, the battery life is subpar. I would definitely recommend the 4500mAh battery and or the charging pack. Regardless if the battery life I do not miss my note 2.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed, if u use ur phone alot get a spare

Posted via CB10 with z10
    05-03-14 01:34 PM
    My answer is simple. Never buy stl100-1 variant. This variant use old texan instruments chipset which is an old chip using old technology and also didn't support 4G(LTE . Always buy st100-2, st100-3 or st100-4 but do your own research on whether it support your network.

For me BlackBerry is suitable for email and social network users. All your notification is in one place. I myself have four email and Facebook, Twitter, Wechat, candid, all in one place to view and easy to manage.

As for browser, it also beat my desktop in term of speed. Definitely the best for me

Symbian is still and always my favourite Os. Nokia 808
    05-03-14 01:36 PM
    Double post
    05-03-14 01:39 PM
    Been using my z10 STL100-1 here in the UAE for over a year now with nothing to complain about but the battery life and the contacts app.

But with a charger bundle and charger cable on my laptop and in the car its not much of a problem now.

With the contacts app is sorted soon.

STL100-1 / 10.2.1.2273
    Ravenrage likes this.
    05-03-14 01:56 PM
    Okay , now I am confused ! I am getting an imported STL 100-3 (without manufacturer warranty) from ebay . Is STL 100-1 all that bad ?
    Imported products (without warranty) are available for around 222 dollars and the ones with warranty for about 280 $ .
    Any users from India on this forum ? If somebody from India is reading this , please reply .
    Also , about the lagging part of the OS , is there some way to customise it out ?
    05-03-14 03:48 PM
    No way to customise the OS - unlike Android, you cannot compile custom kernels or design your own interface. Apart from leaked beta versions from BlackBerry (which seem now to be rare), it's the stock ROM or nothing.

PS, re lag, I've never experienced lag on my Z10 that would compare to the lag on, say, a droid with a heavily-used OS build which was a year or so old. The OTA updating process is garbage and IMO, seems to cause the majority of OS problems. A wipe and reinstall using the PC suite (BlackBerry Link - takes an hour or so) fixes most problems.
    Posted via CB10
    Ravenrage likes this.
    05-03-14 03:57 PM
    The OTA updating process is garbage and IMO, seems to cause the majority of OS problems. A wipe and reinstall using the PC suite (BlackBerry Link - takes an hour or so) fixes most problems.
    Posted via CB10
    Please explain a little more - the wipe and re-install part .
    05-03-14 04:10 PM
    Okay , now I am confused ! I am getting an imported STL 100-3 (without manufacturer warranty) from ebay . Is STL 100-1 all that bad ?
    Imported products (without warranty) are available for around 222 dollars and the ones with warranty for about 280 $ .
    Any users from India on this forum ? If somebody from India is reading this , please reply .
    Also , about the lagging part of the OS , is there some way to customise it out ?
    Hey, a lot of people harp on the stl100-1 because it's the popular thing to do here on the crackberry forum.

The truth it yes the stl100-1 does have a processor build using an older manufacturing process but it also has a faster gpu. Personally I'd rather have a faster gpu than CPU as the gpu can compensate better.

The only real drawback is leaks are few and far between I love my stl100-1

Sent from the ocean using my waterproof Z10
    05-03-14 04:38 PM
    Don't worry... STL100-1 ain't bad...

Its like they compare it with the other 4G variants... and reality in our country is that 4G is next to none... as telcos are in losses and 4G is pathetic in terms of coverage at 2300MHz band..

I have been using this device since June 2013 and have seen the OS improve and reduction in lags...

The latest OS is really refined and buying an STL100-1 will give you warranty which is important just in case... It has a better GPU than the other variants and a equal speed CPU...

My opinion... Go ahead and buy the STL100-1

I'm from India and I proudly use my Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.2228

Posted via CB10... and my awesome Z10
    Barracuda7772 likes this.
    05-03-14 04:52 PM
    I am using the stl1-100. My only complaint would be that there is no LTE, however, ATT doesn't have LTE coverage in my area anyway, so no big deal. Battery life used to be pretty inconsistent. It had some bad days but now it's seemed to have fixed itself.

I switch between this Z10 and a Nexus 5. I tend to like the Z10 more. The nexus used to have terrible battery life until I rooted and flashed a custom rom. Now I would say it's slightly better battery than the z10....but the Z10 is doing very well for me. I also hate the nexus 5 camera. Z10 camera shutter is so much faster and I've actually taken a couple of really sharp pictures. I was impressed. I enjoy the camera very much. Couple all this with a better music experience and great keyboard and multitasking and it's hard for me to go back to android. The only thing I miss is Google Now.

Posted via CB10
    Ravenrage likes this.
    05-03-14 05:04 PM
    Again,
    I am more than happy with my battery right now. That said I did order a 4500mah to test out.
    Questions for Z10 users-img_20140503_150446.png

Posted via CB10
    Ravenrage likes this.
    05-03-14 05:05 PM
    I think you should know that the battery life will be lower than what you have now ! If you dont have LTE then it might be just a bit longer than the 8-10 hours I usually get per day!

Also with the new OS 10.2.1 you don't HAVE to side-load anything ! You can download android apks directly from websites like apktrain.com through the wonderful browser of your z10! That's the easiest way ! However you will have to look for newer apks once a while to keep your android apps up to date !
    I personally found that all the important apps i need either came with the phone or are in BlackBerry world!

As for the games, I have played modern combat4 for hours no lag at all! Even plugged in the micro Hdmi cable to my tv and got pleasantly surprised with amazing graphics and nooo lag! Also played temple run brave with amazing graphics and no lag! I also played some games from apks downloaded from apktrain.com and they worked smoothly ( temple run1,2, subway surfer) but there are games that might lag a bit at times ! it all depends on how well the game app is build I guess !

As for the photos I think everybody have different preferences, but I know IPhone 4s, 5s users that admitted my z10 takes better photos than their Phone! They always want my phone to take the pics lol...
    My advice is take the time to play with the camera settings ( time shift, HDR, size, etc), learn and customize it to what you prefer!

Enjoy!

Posted via CB10
    Ravenrage likes this.
    05-03-14 06:10 PM
    It's good to hear a lot of users here has come from either ios or android and enjoying their experience with bb10.

I have a Z10 as my personal phone and was recently given a Q10 for work. Z10 is now my media console for playing movies and such. Having a Q10 with the physical keys is a welcoming feeling. In my opinion, since the screen is smaller on the Q10, composing messages is what I'll be using it for the most part. The virtual keyboard is good, but I am honestly glad to have physical keyboard back on my hands. I do however am used to flicking to the left hoping I could delete a full word.

Posted via CB10
    Ravenrage likes this.
    05-03-14 11:39 PM
    Now that I have ordered my Z10 , STL 100-1 , I have a few questions :

Is the 4500 mah battery compatible with the STL 100-1 ?
    I suppose I wont be getting an updated version of the phone - please let me know the more stable versions of 10.2.1.xx that I should install .
    Also , does installing the leaks that come out often - make my warranty void ?
    05-05-14 04:41 PM
    I use to have horrible battery life with my Z10 ,but with the latest update it's a lot better now . Also with the update came an option which lets you track your battery usage , so now I can see that my bright display is eating a lot of battery , so I turned down the brightness just a little and also set it to turn of after 30sec , made a big change to battery life. By the way I love my Z10
    Ravenrage likes this.
    05-06-14 02:50 AM
60 123