I'll start with saying first that I am STILL a Blackberry User even if reluctantly so. I bought my BB 9360 in November 2011 and still have it. The Battery life became terrible even after replacing the battery and the Os never really received proper support. Since then on I've read Blackberry's major news.

When Blackberry was at the height of its power and android, ios came along they had a choice either develop their own ecosystem or go with android. We know they chose to go big and tried to develop something without investing considerable resources in it. Then they blamed this failure on lack of resources and stated that they couldn't afford to switch to android as it was not financially feasible. A leading handset maker making that kind of statement seems to indicate to me that their has been gross mismanagement of resources on their part. They seemed to have made losses on ventures not revealed to the public at large because HTC & Samsung were able to switch and look where they are now. Granted HTC isn't doing very well but they are miles ahead of Blackberry.

Personally they should have adopted the one phone model and used a forked out version of android which could have been more secure and the app store approval requiring a high standard of experience from the app itself. Lets face it, most apps on Blackberry World and even many apps on Android turn out to be Garbage. We don't want to keep reading TOP 50 APP articles every day just to keep up. Any loans for such huge investments would have been put paid by now.

Not Convinced ? Now imagine a 3.5" display+ qwerty Blackberry phone fighting the iphone3g or a 4" display + qwerty Blackberry with a forked out secure android vs iPhone 5/5s. All premium materials similar to Q10. I think it could have done pretty well. Maybe a Google Play Edition phone as well! Possibilities were endless and Samsung seems to be reveling in it.

The Biggest problem probably was failure to Innovate. It happened to Nokia and Blackberry seemed to have gone the same way. I am just waiting to get things in order and finally migrate to a better experience. I only hope I don't miss the physical keyboard!
    05-02-14 02:25 PM
    Think Innovation is overrated. Take something someone else has created, copy it and make it better. It worked for Microsoft pretty well for years.

Before iPhone hit the market, BlackBerry should have been considering the future of smartphone and if their OS could become a full blown operation system or not. The idea of a computer in your pocket was not new after all...Just by looking at what the iPod was doing should have been enough to get them to consider what might be possible. To wait four years after the iPhone and later Android was release, to figure out if your souped up dumb-phone OS could compete.....was fatal error.
    05-02-14 03:02 PM
    Should have. Could have. Would have..... Didn't.
    We can't rewrite history. Blackberry can only move forward and not make the same mistakes...
    app_Developer and JeepBB like this.
    05-02-14 04:18 PM
    HTC is miles ahead of BlackBerry? Hmm...
    05-02-14 04:21 PM
    Please catch up with the rest of us. This topic has been discussed ad nauseam.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    05-02-14 04:24 PM
    OP, hindsight is 20/20. I agree with some of your points regarding what BlackBerry should have done almost 7 years ago in 2007, when IOS came along. But that moment is long gone, never to return, so it is pointless to dwell on it.

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy Note Tablet
    05-02-14 07:56 PM
    OP, hindsight is 20/20.
    While it's true that "hindsight is 20/20", it doesn't take away from the fact that many individuals were screaming at Blackberry to shift to Android for years. This wasn't some super difficult cloudy decision that it is made out to be. Many technophiles, investors, and businessmen knew Blackberry was going to fail.

Certainly, it is not without precedent. It is precedented that hardware companies usually do not successfully transition into software companies. It is precedented that breaking into an established OS market with a new OS is extremely difficult. It is precedented that the single hardware + software company combo doesn't work (as software becomes more sophisticated).

Aside from the conventional wisdoms, real world examples illustrated that Blackberry was unlikely to succeed as well. WebOS took the Blackberry route and did not make a dent. Nokia had the established Symbian OS that, while not super advanced, was much more competitive with iOS + Android than BB OS and that failed miserably.

Pretty much every sign was pointing to BB10 not working and Blackberry took the route anyway. Not only did Blackberry take the route, Blackberry shot itself in the foot further by completely botching the BB10 launch in every way. The roll out was stretched out and uncoordinated. The product was priced too high and spec'ed too low. The launch devices had severe OS bugs.

So, certainly, Blackberry deserves some criticism for its failures. Blackberry put itself in the position it is today. It could have happily lived on as an Android OEM; but, it didn't.
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-02-14 08:18 PM
    Get a Z30...yawn...next!

I say K cuz I can't spell K.
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    05-02-14 08:20 PM
    Yes, HTC use Android, and they have spent heaps of $$$ making Sense UI. If BlackBerry went Android,they would have had to spend a LOT more to make their own forked version.

I also wouldn't really say that HTC is doing much better than BlackBerry. HTC are still losing money, and their forecast for this year will rely on that single phone.

The four pillars, BES, BBM, BlackBerry 10 and QNX. These all have a chance to be something great. BES is already making strides. QNX, while not a massive money maker, is definitely making strides, and helping to introduce QNX to many different fields, which will hopefully and eventually bring a more BlackBerry connected World.

What I would like BlackBerry to do is to bring back BIS, but obviously a more advanced version. Unlimited BBM and Email would be a good start. For iOS, Android and Windows Phone, with more benefits for BlackBerry 10. Then I think BlackBerry could bring back their name, as well as benefit off iOS, Android and Windows users more than just BBM.

Thoughts?

Posted via my Z30.
    05-02-14 11:48 PM
    Why do threads that begins with>..."I am a BlackBerry user" or "I love BlackBerry" or "I have been a BlackBerry user since *insert time* always has a but stated or implied?
    05-02-14 11:54 PM
    I'm guessing they just want to let us know that they aren't bashers or haters or trolls, lest they be considered as such?
    05-03-14 12:12 AM
    So BlackBerry was seriously considering going Android?

I read some discussions amongs CrackBerry but I didn't know that BlackBerry was possibly taking that action.
    As a consumer business standpoint that might have been wise but as a serious work tool BlackBerry should always go big or go home. Don't settle just to make some cheddar, keep it real!

? BlackBerry Q10 ? Keep The Faith ?
    05-03-14 12:46 AM
    Please catch up with the rest of us. This topic has been discussed ad nauseam.
    You don't like the topic please find better use of your time then.
    05-03-14 01:45 AM
    You don't like the topic please find better use of your time then.
    No its just there literally was another post today asking if BlackBerry Is going android and for months same topic and the answer is no its not a reasonable plan for them to go android at all as it takes away the 1 advantage they had so even in hindsight android would still not be the best choice.

In hindsight they should have developed bb10 a long time ago instead of forcefully optimizing bbos (java based, and everyone knew java had reached it peak)

Anyone remember when you wanted to download or play a game online on laptop and you had to download java

Zee coolest flicking smartphone evah
    05-03-14 01:53 AM
    Yes, HTC use Android, and they have spent heaps of $$$ making Sense UI. If BlackBerry went Android,they would have had to spend a LOT more to make their own forked version.

The four pillars, BES, BBM, BlackBerry 10 and QNX. These all have a chance to be something great. BES is already making strides. QNX, while not a massive money maker, is definitely making strides, and helping to introduce QNX to many different fields, which will hopefully and eventually bring a more BlackBerry connected World.

What I would like BlackBerry to do is to bring back BIS, but obviously a more advanced version. Unlimited BBM and Email would be a good start. For iOS, Android and Windows Phone, with more benefits for BlackBerry 10. Then I think BlackBerry could bring back their name, as well as benefit off iOS, Android and Windows users more than just BBM.

Thoughts?

Posted via my Z30.
    BIS is old technology. No one is going to pay extra for unlimited chatting and e-mail when they can just pay for one LTE/HSPA+ connection and get everything that they need.

QNX is already having tough competition is getting replaced in several sectors. E.G. Apple introduced car play and you see the support its getting because its linked to the iPhone. So may car companies want it to be part of their infotainment system.

I don't see a way out for blackberry. I don't think they can hold on with BB10 OS and Android Run time player.

What I really meant about investment was just look at samsung. They had their own os in which they must have invested money but they were still able to switch to android and capitalize on it. Now they are making Billions in profit. Wouldn't you and every one agree it was money well spent ???

ALL Blackberry really had to do was to think about the consumers of the world and I don't feel they have done that. Even now if they developed just One phone a year with a qwerty keyboard and forked out secure android. They could have a USP and become a niche company just to be able to stay afloat.
    05-03-14 01:56 AM
    Move on folks. Think of better ideas that can help BlackBerry build better products and recommend it to BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-14 01:56 AM
    No its just there literally was another post today asking if BlackBerry Is going android and for months same topic and the answer is no its not a reasonable plan for them to go android at all as it takes away the 1 advantage they had so even in hindsight android would still not be the best choice.

In hindsight they should have developed bb10 a long time ago instead of forcefully optimizing bbos (java based, and everyone knew java had reached it peak)

Anyone remember when you wanted to download or play a game online on laptop and you had to download java

Zee coolest flicking smartphone evah
    That's what I am saying its just stupid excuses.... I don't think you read my first post clearly.
    05-03-14 01:57 AM
    So BlackBerry was seriously considering going Android?

I read some discussions amongs CrackBerry but I didn't know that BlackBerry was possibly taking that action.
    As a consumer business standpoint that might have been wise but as a serious work tool BlackBerry should always go big or go home. Don't settle just to make some cheddar, keep it real!

? BlackBerry Q10 ? Keep The Faith ?
    I think that was after Thorsten came in and they were in the process of developing BlackBerry 10. He revealed it after BB10 was delayed in 2012 iirc.

Posted via CB10
    MADBRADNYC and JeepBB like this.
    05-03-14 06:17 PM
    I think that was after Thorsten came in and they were in the process of developing BlackBerry 10. He revealed it after BB10 was delayed in 2012 iirc.
    Exactly. It was a quote taken out of context from a Telegraph interview back in August of 2012.
    Many other sites like BGR etc. took it to mean that BlackBerry was considering going in that direction.
    What they fail to mention was his opening sentence in his response to the question...
    Wouldn’t it have been easier to simply adopt Android or Windows Phone, and already have a product on the shelves?
    Actual response...
    We took the conscious decision not to go Android. If you look at other suppliers’ ability to differentiate, there’s very little wiggle room. We looked at it seriouslybut if you understand what the promise of BlackBerry is to its user base it’s all about getting stuff done. Games, media, we have to be good at it but we have to support those guys who are ahead of the game. Very little time to consume and enjoy content – if you stay true to that purpose you have to build on that basis. And if we want to serve that segment we can’t do it on a me-too approach.”
    As if to mean that he looked at the theory of licensing in general... Not going Android!
    'BlackBerry is not in a trough' - RIM CEO Thorsten Heins interview - Telegraph
    Here is BGR's spin on that same article using only that one 5 word sentence out of context...
    RIM CEO says company ‘seriously’ considered switch to Android | BGR
    05-03-14 06:33 PM
    http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...-the-z10-video

http://propakistani.pk/2012/08/06/bl...ook-different/