Do any folks have regular experience with roaming on BlackBerry 10 in the U.S.? I traveled to New York on business and noted that it seemed to take a tremendously long time for the device to find a cell network compared to at home in Toronto. Not sure if it's all the buildings, BlackBerry 10's radio stack, or the roaming transfer or US networks, but it felt like it took 5 minutes to find a network and every time it did, it inhaled 5 mb of my precious data.

Yoinks.

Interestingly ... for all of the "I've never seen a BlackBerry 10 device in New York", I saw two Q10s, two Z10s and one PlayBook at La Guardia! :-)
    05-02-14 11:59 AM
    Just got back from Nevada. No issues on roaming. Well, I connected to T-Mobile once and that gave me hell. AT&T no issues at all

Btw, I am from the Netherlands

Posted via CB10
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    05-02-14 12:27 PM
    Just got back from Nevada. No issues on roaming. Well, I connected to T-Mobile once and that gave me hell. AT&T no issues at all

Btw, I am from the Netherlands

Posted via CB10
    Thanks - I found it took me about five minutes to connect to AT&T in New York and about the same to connect to Verizon in California and Florida

Mind you, this is the first device I've deliberately tried to conserve data on, so I'm putting it in airplane mode all the time.
    05-02-14 04:46 PM
    As I have Verizon.... it's hard to find an area they don't have coverage.

Had no problems connecting to a network in the Bahamas.... Took phone out of Airplane mode and made a call in less than a minute.

Posted via Android Powered CrackBerry App via SNAP
    05-02-14 05:14 PM
    Thanks - I found it took me about five minutes to connect to AT&T in New York and about the same to connect to Verizon in California and Florida

Mind you, this is the first device I've deliberately tried to conserve data on, so I'm putting it in airplane mode all the time.
    No need to use airplane mode to conserve data, in that way you will not be able to receive calls.
    It's easier to just select in setting --> network --> mobili network the option data service when roaming off

Posted via CB10
    05-02-14 05:16 PM
    Yes. I travel to the US a few times a month. There is a lengthy delay getting connected to a network (both arriving in the US and returning).

Posted via CB10
    05-02-14 08:42 PM
    Travelled from UK to Germany recently.. no issues at all connected as my flight landed (although I am on EE, and T-mobile is big in Germany so that probably helped)

TechCraze C0008DDD1

Oops, didn't see the 'in the US' bit
    Last edited by tinochiko; 05-03-14 at 02:55 AM.
    05-03-14 02:33 AM
    Ya, sometimes it takes a while to connect but I've had the same issue on all devices. I just blame crappy, oversaturated US networks. Plus, in most cases I'm coming off a flight and turning my phone while still taxiing so I'm sure that has some part to play in it, not like airport runways are known for their great coverage.
    05-03-14 02:36 AM
    I travel to the US regularly, usually everyday in fact for work.

I have used a Z10, Q10, and Z30... I work with others with iPhone and Android devices, and i have noticed by far i have the most issues with connecting and keeping a steady connection... it has been made worse now that i have switched from rogers to wind

I also have a Z30 STA-100-5

Posted via CB10
    05-03-14 04:29 AM
    Ya, sometimes it takes a while to connect but I've had the same issue on all devices. I just blame crappy, oversaturated US networks. Plus, in most cases I'm coming off a flight and turning my phone while still taxiing so I'm sure that has some part to play in it, not like airport runways are known for their great coverage.
    Yeah - seems to be a combination of thereof as I've definitely seen a substantially longer connect time on US runways than Canadian runways.

I'm assuming it's a combo of the poor signals there + the radio turning on + the primary network having to handshake with a secondary network.

But wow - wait for five minutes and use a bunch of data
    05-03-14 07:16 AM
    I had the same problem traveling to US, it took forever to find a network. The worst part was when crossing the border back I couldn't find the home network for 1/2 hour. So frustrating. I've tried manually, it would find the network but couldn't connect. I had to reset the phone by pressing the volume buttons.
    Z10 on Bell.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-14 07:46 AM
    I travel to the US regularly, usually everyday in fact for work.

I have used a Z10, Q10, and Z30... I work with others with iPhone and Android devices, and i have noticed by far i have the most issues with connecting and keeping a steady connection... it has been made worse now that i have switched from rogers to wind

I also have a Z30 STA-100-5

Posted via CB10
    Wind? I thought they have 15 extra per month for USA plan that uses att network. I thought it would be better in US, not worse. (have to check if it limited to 2g, 3g or lte? ).

Posted via CB10
    05-03-14 08:04 AM
    Wind? I thought they have 15 extra per month for USA plan that uses att network. I thought it would be better in US, not worse. (have to check if it limited to 2g, 3g or lte? ).

Posted via CB10
    I do have that exact plan, but it doesn't use ATT, they use tmobile... i usually get 3G and the odd 4G signal but I've never seen 4G for more than a couple of minutes...

When i do a manual scan i can see ATT, but it won't connect and always defaults to TMOBILE

Experience when roaming?-img_20140505_093028.png current

Experience when roaming?-img_20140505_093155.png manual scan

Experience when roaming?-img_20140505_093208.png trying to connect to ATT

Posted via CB10
    05-05-14 08:33 AM
    Do any folks have regular experience with roaming on BlackBerry 10 in the U.S.? I traveled to New York on business and noted that it seemed to take a tremendously long time for the device to find a cell network compared to at home in Toronto. Not sure if it's all the buildings, BlackBerry 10's radio stack, or the roaming transfer or US networks, but it felt like it took 5 minutes to find a network and every time it did, it inhaled 5 mb of my precious data.

Yoinks.

Interestingly ... for all of the "I've never seen a BlackBerry 10 device in New York", I saw two Q10s, two Z10s and one PlayBook at La Guardia! :-)
    I've been meaning to post a similar question; you've beaten me to it. I am a very frequent traveller (mostly around Europe but with a few visits a year to the Americas and Asia). I carry a Z10 and an 9300. On average I am on 3 flights a week, which means that both phones are turned back on together regularly.

I tend to power down the 9930 using the power button (so just a "sleep-mode") and leave the Z10 on flight mode but turned on.

I traditionally turn the Z10 flight-mode off at the same time that I power up the 9930. This effectively means that both phones are in a position to start searching for a network together (I've been monitoring this for months). The time it takes for each phone to locate a network, register and lock on data service is infuriatingly different.

Without fail the 9930 beats the Z10 to the punch by a lot - often connecting a full minute before (this also happens when I get back to my home network). Might I add that both phones are on the same home network.

Furthermore, I match the signal strength on both phones wherever I am. It is usually comparable, however case in point today - I am sitting in a location with seemingly low coverage. The 9930 has been happily showing 3/5 bars all day, whilst the Z10 hasn't been able to connect to a network since I got here 6 hours ago, no matter how many windows around the room I position it against. Once in a while it progresses from an "X" to "Emergency calls only".
    05-06-14 06:40 AM
    I've been meaning to post a similar question; you've beaten me to it. I am a very frequent traveller (mostly around Europe but with a few visits a year to the Americas and Asia). I carry a Z10 and an 9300. On average I am on 3 flights a week, which means that both phones are turned back on together regularly.

I tend to power down the 9930 using the power button (so just a "sleep-mode") and leave the Z10 on flight mode but turned on.

I traditionally turn the Z10 flight-mode off at the same time that I power up the 9930. This effectively means that both phones are in a position to start searching for a network together (I've been monitoring this for months). The time it takes for each phone to locate a network, register and lock on data service is infuriatingly different.

Without fail the 9930 beats the Z10 to the punch by a lot - often connecting a full minute before (this also happens when I get back to my home network). Might I add that both phones are on the same home network.

Furthermore, I match the signal strength on both phones wherever I am. It is usually comparable, however case in point today - I am sitting in a location with seemingly low coverage. The 9930 has been happily showing 3/5 bars all day, whilst the Z10 hasn't been able to connect to a network since I got here 6 hours ago, no matter how many windows around the room I position it against. Once in a while it progresses from an "X" to "Emergency calls only".
    I would agree with that experience. All BBOS devices were exceedingly fast. Both my Q10 and Z10 from Bell and my wife's Z10 from Rogers takes many minutes.

Recently I arrived back from the UK to Canada with a Vodafone SIM in and it also experienced the same thing. I mentioned this to Michael Clewley at one point. I'm not sure if it went anywhere, though.

Why does it bother me? Often when I land, I need to call a co-worker who's meeting. I want to forewarn them that I've landed. In the end, I have to tell them that I've reached the gate - that's how long it can take.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-14 01:00 PM
    I should have mentioned this: after I've arrived in a country and connected to a carrier - let's say AT&T. If I have another flight within the US, the connection when I land is virtually instantaneous. Roaming to home or home to roaming appears to be issue.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-14 01:02 PM
    Look like once you get on to the network, no delay. The delay could be the overhead that required to validate your account. I can understand that. (like 1st time you log on to your hotel room wifi, it took some time to get connection. If you repeat stay, say 2 times a week, it log on to it without delay. Until they purge the guest list).

Posted via CB10
    05-10-14 03:51 PM