I'm about to send my second Q10 back to Rogers because of double typing on the keyboard. My colleague with a Q10 has the same issue, and of course there's a forum topic on the issue where many have reported the same thing. I love the form factor of the Q10 but the evidence appears to point to this model being a lemon. Should I go with something else or is there a long-term fix in the works?

Posted via CB10
    05-01-14 11:11 PM
    Sorry guys, just realized I'm in the Q20 forum.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-14 11:12 PM
    The Q10 is actually an awesome device, I've got one as well as a Z10 and it's fine. I don't know what causes the double type issue but I think it's software not hardware related. Most users don't have this problem but a few do so it's not an inherent flaw in the model but rather, a bad batch or a dodgy regional update. Many users reported issues with the Z10 but any problems I've had have been OS related and have been cured by an update.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.2141 O2 UK
    05-01-14 11:34 PM
    Are you going to listen if I tell you to stay with the q10 or to get something else I doubt it. Honesty it's up to you buddy, you have to live with it. I have had mine for 4 month's and have no problems with the keyboard. they sold over a million last quarter. Are there that many complaints on here let's say even 10,000 people on cb with the problem? You only hearing the people that have problems with it have a ongoing conversation about it. Its a small drop in the small bucket with problems. Every single phone made has problems. This one has physical buttons that's going to most likely be the problem area. Point is we can't fix it it's your choice what to do. I like the phone so I would keep it

Posted via CB10
    guygardner73 likes this.
    05-01-14 11:55 PM
    Neither here, have had keyboarded BlackBerry for all my life. And in the 2 weeks with this one used unit bought on local ebay, not experiencing what others are seeing.

One needs to really have learned to master the BlackBerry keyboard to enjoy it though.

Can you type with your eyes closed? I can lol.

Sent from pin:2AD743B7 via Tapatalk
    05-02-14 12:18 AM
    A lemon? not likely. Possibly there are some issues with a small percentage of phones but the q10 can usually be fixed with a software upgrade of some kind. In most cases its not a hardware issue. I knew someone that had all kinds of problems when they first came out but once the software upgrade came pretty well every problem was fixed. So cant say the q10 is a lemon. A lime a banana or an orange maybe but definitely not a lemon.
    05-02-14 12:42 AM
    As a Q10 user on a second keyboard that is beginning to show signs of double type, it is my opinion that the issue is 100%, without a doubt, hardware related. Simply due to the fact that the issue starts out small with one or two letters and gradually worsens over time regardless of the OS version.

When I got my phone back in January, the keyboard was crisp and not faulty. Now the 'a' and 't' key are starting which is precisely how my first keyboard started to fail.

It is possible others may be experiencing software related issues, however it begs the question, if it isn't hardware related, why have those who have sent there phones in for warranty had their keyboard replaced?

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-02-14 01:25 AM
    I have had a few different Q10's since release, and I have yet to experience the double typing issue. Seems like there used to be a issue similar to this on the 9780.
    Last edited by dlrogers81; 05-02-14 at 08:04 AM. Reason: typo
    05-02-14 06:48 AM
    I have had a few different Q10's since release, and I have yet to experience the double typing issue. Seems like their used to be an issue similar to this on the 9780.
    Yes, there was a similar problem, and I suffered through it. The problem was eventually solved, however, and traced to a problem at a particular manufacturing facility in Mexico. At this point, we don't really know anything about what's going on with the Q10. I think it's premature to call the device a lemon.
    05-02-14 07:46 AM
    Yeah, had this problem as well, it is my third Q10 (brand new replacement) so works well.
    I love my Q10 and will never give up it for any other phone.
    Do not believe if someone trying to tell you it is software related problem, it is definitely hardware, poor quality keyboard batch, affected keys have different feel/response when you push them.
    Claim replacement and keep your fingers crossed to get right one.
    Good luck with your Q10. I love mine to bits.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-02-14 08:19 AM
    Yeah, had this problem as well, it is my third Q10 (brand new replacement) so works well.
    I love my Q10 and will never give up it for any other phone.
    Do not believe if someone trying to tell you it is software related problem, it is definitely hardware, poor quality keyboard batch, affected keys have different feel/response when you push them.
    Claim replacement and keep your fingers crossed to get right one.
    Good luck with your Q10. I love mine to bits.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. If it was software everyone on that OS would have it.
    05-02-14 08:26 AM
    Currently, I have fourth Q10. Two had double typing issue and one had non working sym key. My device is holstered in flip case and I am treating in well.

Guess whole keyboard design is defective.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-14 08:26 AM
    Currently, I have fourth Q10. Two had double typing issue and one had non working sym key. My device is holstered in flip case and I am treating in well.

Guess whole keyboard design is defective.

Posted via CB10
    Keyboards in general are more prone to defects. Murphy's law applies nicely here. The last mass double typing issue was with the 9780, although people have had this same issue with other BlackBerry devices such as the 9900 as well.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-02-14 09:44 AM
    Thanks for the input, guys! I'm going to stick it out and try another Q10. If this issue crops up again, I'll just send it back.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-14 01:16 PM
    Do you think I posted the question because my mind was made up and I just like wasting my time? The fact that they sold 1 million Q10 devices last quarter means little to me given that this issue typically takes a few months to manifest itself. I guess we won't know the true extent of the issue until a critical mass of users have been on the device for over a year, but the early signs aren't great.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-14 01:19 PM
    The Q10 is actually an awesome device, I've got one as well as a Z10 and it's fine. I don't know what causes the double type issue but I think it's software not hardware related. Most users don't have this problem but a few do so it's not an inherent flaw in the model but rather, a bad batch or a dodgy regional update. Many users reported issues with the Z10 but any problems I've had have been OS related and have been cured by an update.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.2141 O2 UK
    It is a hardware problem that occurs over a period of time.

Posted with my BlackBerry Q10.
    05-03-14 12:55 PM

It's poor quality...

I still have HTC Desire Z which has more complicated construction than Q10 and never had issue with it.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-14 12:57 PM

AGREE. First symptoms are the double typing. Give it some time until it becomes unresponsive. Had my keyboard replaced already. Then bought a Z30 (my daily driver now).

But still kept the Q

Q10 SQN100-3 | Z30 STA100-2 |10.2.1.2141 iPhone 4s IOS 7.xx
    05-03-14 01:08 PM
    Having worked at blackberry a couple of years ago, we used to get a lot calls about this issue in BBOS devices and software updates never resolved the issue. As others have said, it's definitely a hardware issue and I could imagine that there's no vast manufacturing differences between the keyboards on the older devices and these new BB10 devices. Weird that you'd be having the same issue with multiple devices that are brand new supposedly, though.

Never had any issues with my Q10 personally for the 8-10 months or so that I've had it and I don't have it in a case or anything. Sorry to hear that so much people have had issues with such a great device.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-14 01:24 PM
    It's just a double typing issue comes and goes for me!

Posted via CB10
    05-03-14 02:10 PM
    It's just a double typing issue comes and goes for me!

Posted via CB10
    Same with me. Totally sporadic and random...Annpying. unfortunately all the people I know with Q10 are experiencing it, and I'm talking peeople across Europe - from UK through Spain, Germany and Bulgaria.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-14 02:25 PM
    Yeah its a BlackBerry Q10 thing gets on my nerve but then I just touch the word and fix it I'm not gonna loose any sleep over it. The funny thing is that I read about it once in a post and put my 2 cents talking bout I never experienced it and the next thing you know it started -_- off topic I'm thinking of getting a Z30 just to have it with running with wifi!

Posted via CB10
    05-03-14 02:56 PM
    The problem was solved for me. Had my keyboard replaced through the BlackBerry Expert Center. Cross fingers, I hope it will not recur again.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-14 05:37 PM
    I have the "i" and "o" problem where you just barely touch the "o" when typing "i" and both the i and o show up. This is my THIRD phone with this problem (original and 2 replacements) so when I receive another replacement I will be on my fourth Q10 since October 2013. Obviously a bunch of defective keyboards on this model. I suspect Verizon is sending out refurb Q10s as replacements,but still this can be easily described as a ridiculous situation. If I could easily replace the keyboard I would,but that would void the warranty.
    05-03-14 06:48 PM
    Are you going to listen if I tell you to stay with the q10 or to get something else I doubt it. Honesty it's up to you buddy, you have to live with it. I have had mine for 4 month's and have no problems with the keyboard. they sold over a million last quarter. Are there that many complaints on here let's say even 10,000 people on cb with the problem? You only hearing the people that have problems with it have a ongoing conversation about it. Its a small drop in the small bucket with problems. Every single phone made has problems. This one has physical buttons that's going to most likely be the problem area. Point is we can't fix it it's your choice what to do. I like the phone so I would keep it

Posted via CB10
    Interestingly if you follow that forum, you will see the same people have the problem multiple times!
    It would seem the the keyboard membrane fails in certain climates. To date, dusty environments have been identified as a trigger as have extremely humid ones. If you use your BlackBerry in such areas beware. Otherwise, you may have nothing to worry about.

Posted via CBQ10
    05-04-14 07:43 AM
28 12