Guys,
    I know i can get a USB hub for my Z30 and connect keyboard, mouse, etc... BUT.. can i connect a USB to LAN adapter, and plug the LAN into a LAN jack, and hook up to the internet that way?

something like this:
    White Micro USB to Ethernet LAN Network RJ45 Card Adapter for Android OS Tablet | eBay
    05-01-14 05:46 PM
    Uhh, good question though I suspect no one will have an answer lol. I'm struggling to even think of why I'd want to do that. Likely better off spending the $6 and finding out for yourself really.
    05-01-14 09:09 PM
    No, there won't be a driver for it.

Also, where you say "Lan", you mean "ethernet".

See if anyone has it on android without root to see if there is chance.

Posted via CB10
    byransays likes this.
    05-01-14 09:19 PM
    No, there won't be a driver for it.

Also, where you say "Lan", you mean "ethernet".

See if anyone has it on android without root to see if there is chance.

Posted via CB10
    Reading fail. You linked to an android thing. My bad.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-14 09:21 PM
    Oh, but the listing only lists windows for supported operating system. Seems like more ebay seller bull$hit.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-14 09:23 PM
    Yea, that's the thing.. where do we get drivers for usb keyboard, mouse, etc.. ?

Posted with my awesome Z30
    05-01-14 10:04 PM
    There is web works documentation that references ethernet as a connection type for BlackBerry 10.

Not sure if it is implemented via USB OTG but someone should try it out.

https://developer.blackberry.com/htm...onnection.html

Kb/mouse, etc work because there is driver installed.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-14 10:12 PM
    What would be the purpose? Just asking out of curiosity?

Posted with my BlackBerry Q10 on VZW from Philly
    05-01-14 10:21 PM
    Whenever I travel to places where I know I may not be able to access wifi (mostly bc people don't remember their passwords--- like my in laws), I travel with a portable access point. I have the old version of this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003Q9...UvbUpU10307235

Just connect to their router via an ethernet port, and fire up my own little wifi network for which I do know the password...

Posted via CB10
    05-01-14 10:39 PM

Umm, a hardwired Ethernet connection is going to outperform Wifi every time. Also, wifi might not be available where Ethernet is.
    05-01-14 10:41 PM

Also handy if in your line of work you are often configuring routers (cable/internet installer for instance).. lots of routers require ethernet connectivity for initial setup.. so rather than lugging around a laptop for this, u can just use your phone to access the router.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-14 10:47 PM
    What you can do is that you connect that lan to a laptop, then share laptop's internet via its wifi. Then connect your phone normally to that virtual wifi. You can install "virtual router manager" on your windows laptop to easily create a virtual router.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-14 02:03 AM
    Whenever I travel to places where I know I may not be able to access wifi (mostly bc people don't remember their passwords--- like my in laws)
    Why don't you / they simply look up the password in their connected computers.
    05-02-14 02:44 AM
    At work, our wifi is very weak where I sit. I do have an ethernet jack handy.. I could just plug in, and go

05-02-14 05:35 AM
    I think I will simply give this a go. I will order and report to you all...

05-02-14 05:35 AM
    I know the QNX team internally had USB to etherner adaptors running on PB 2 years ago. So the idea is not new but I doubt the drivers are present in BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-14 09:35 AM
    Why don't you / they simply look up the password in their connected computers.
    "Simply"... lol

Posted via CB10
    05-02-14 09:59 AM
    That would be awesome, plug in with Ethernet and log in to my domain via LAN in my office and browse through file manager the network, would be great since at least in my office the wifi network is separated from the domain network and only provides internet for the mobile devices, all domain PC's are connected through Ethernet, it seems possible anyway if only BB10 has the drivers for an USB Ethernet card.
    05-02-14 10:09 AM
    That would be awesome, plug in with Ethernet and log in to my domain via LAN in my office and browse through file manager the network, would be great since at least in my office the wifi network is separated from the domain network and only provides internet for the mobile devices, all domain PC's are connected through Ethernet, it seems possible anyway if only BB10 has the drivers for an USB Ethernet card.
    You could setup link and share the folders you want access to. Or Your other option is setting up a rogue wireless network like it was previously mentioned as a portable AP, however most IT departments have ways to detect and shut them down, and you might get fired. But where there's a will there's a way.

Z30STA100-3/10.2.1.2947
    05-02-14 10:49 AM
    Without reading your post I can say it's not possible.

BB10 does not have the hardware for this, and even if you could get an ethernet to usb converter the phone would not have drivers for it.

Don't see why this is ever needed. It would also waste more battery than wifi.

I could see bridging your network through a PC Via USB as more plausible though.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-14 06:48 PM

BB10 does not have the hardware for this, and even if you could get an ethernet to usb converter the phone would not have drivers for it.

I could see bridging your network through a PC Via USB as more plausible though.

Posted via CB10
    1. BB10 is an OS, not hardware.
    2. "the phone would not have drivers for it" -> "the phone may not have drivers for it"
    3. There are multiple reasons mentioned above why this would be useful
    4. It would NOT waste more battery than wifi. I'd like to hear your logic on this one. Unless you meant wifi+usb/ethernet vs usb/ethernet or vs wifi.
    kthhrrsn likes this.
    05-02-14 07:14 PM

... I should not reply.

Posted via CB10
    DocDRM and kthhrrsn like this.
    05-05-14 03:55 PM
    1. BB10 is an OS, not hardware.
    2. "the phone would not have drivers for it" -> "the phone may not have drivers for it"
    3. There are multiple reasons mentioned above why this would be useful
    4. It would NOT waste more battery than wifi. I'd like to hear your logic on this one. Unless you meant wifi+usb/ethernet vs usb/ethernet or vs wifi.
    Would waste more battery under same concept as usb2go. We would need to power the port, the BlackBerry would not support PoE and would not carry a charge. Wifi chipset has been optimised and the radio uses less energy than ever before.

BlackBerry does not have drivers guaranteed because this is not an option at this time. QNX does not have drivers for usb2 ethernet because there is no application for it at this time that is deployed.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 05:44 PM
    Would waste more battery under same concept as usb2go. We would need to power the port, the BlackBerry would not support PoE and would not carry a charge. Wifi chipset has been optimised and the radio uses less energy than ever before.

BlackBerry does not have drivers guaranteed because this is not an option at this time. QNX does not have drivers for usb2 ethernet because there is no application for it at this time that is deployed.

Posted via CB10
    Please tell us how you can guarantee the drivers are not there. Unless you can provide the output of lsmod to prove this?

In wifi products that I am familiar with that do not have USB parts laid out on the PCB, there are still USB drivers installed in the kernel. Also, Android has the driver in Android 4, so its not unreasonable to think it could have came in from Android support. Its a compile option.

And before something can be done by end users, R&D have to test these and get them working first. They very well could have usb2ethernet drivers for testing in there today, right now. We don't know unless you're a developer or a tester. When they are prototyping new models, do you think they'll have a working LTE radio functional out of the box on a brand new chipset? What about Wifi? Sure would be nice to have an Ethernet connection available as a developer on a prototype device... What devices were cops using on their USB ports on the Playbooks? Serial or Ethernet?

As for the power consumption, regardless of sleep functions, you should be aware its constantly waking up and going back to sleep even when there isn't data to send so it doesn't get kicked from the AP. In Ethernet, if there isn't data to send, its not wasting energy on management packets to keep it linked to the AP. When receiving data from AP, you are still consuming energy to demodulate it and ACK the packets back.

You can optimize sleep at the expense of performance. But a full duplex ethernet (at reasonable cable length) is going to outperform wifi in power and performance in both idle states and getting X amount of data in/out of the device over time.

So my main problem is your guarantee. Its faulty logic. To even say QNX does not have drivers for usb2ethernet is silly and I probably shouldn't have bothered to reply. Overview. 5 second Google.
    05-08-14 09:08 PM

Posted via CB10
    I thought the conversation was over. Wait, it WAS over.
    05-08-14 09:22 PM
27 12