The message read " emergency need help now"

This message cut into me to the core, as it was from my brother....

I grew up with 2 older brothers in a family of wrestlers who were tough on each other. We've had the full gambit of events life throws your way... and I'm 38 years old. this is the first time i've heard my brother say emergency.

I immediately grabbed my keys and headed to the car. I received another message that a mutual friend had fallen, and hit his head really hard. This was immediately followed by a glimpse. I raced to their location, that was 15 miles away.

My brother and his friend were out fishing by the river, and were a long trek through the woods after the railroad tracks from where the streets end. Although he called 911 and they could see his location... how do you convey that to an ems worker? a fireman?

Today was different... my truck was there with hazards, parked directly in line where they were, in the middle of the woods. our friend, completely out of it... and a big guy at 6'4" 260+ lbs.

A stretcher and several men were needed to get him out over rough wooded terrain. He's being observed in the hospital now... and hopefully beginning his recovery.

Thank you BlackBerry. Thank you bbm. Thank you Glympse. Thank you crackberry community for keeping me up to date with the latest...

Glympse simply worked amazingly well in a time of great need.

FYI - this was a Glympse from an S4 to a Z30, made easy through BBM.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-14 08:27 PM
    Great to hear it all went well!!!!!
    04-26-14 08:30 PM
    +1 for technology

+1000 for humans using it for a good cause

Hope your brother's friend will be ok!

Posted via CB10
    04-26-14 08:31 PM
    Thank you. Still unsettled by the whole event... but it wasn't until it was after the fact we realized how easy we used it, and remarkably useful it was. everyone I know will have bbm now.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-14 08:40 PM
    I hope everyone is better now. There's nothing more scary in life than a loved one in dire trouble.

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.2228, Z30, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    04-29-14 05:01 AM
    It's a breather to hear amazing stories like this, away from all the criticisms of BlackBerry. Thank you, OP. I hope everything's fine now.

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    04-29-14 05:39 AM
    Thank you for sharing and i hope the friend, of your brother in hospital, recovers soon.
    04-29-14 06:51 AM
    Hope he recovers soon. I'm glad to see technology helping to save lives. We hear so much of texting and driving causing deaths, it's nice to read something like this for a change.

Sent from the Berry using Tapatalk.
    04-29-14 08:11 AM
    Update:

My friend is on the road to recovery. I've seen a lot in my life between wrestling all my life through college, playing ice hockey, car accidents... i've never seen someone that hurt before. It was truly scary. Anyway he's talking and home now, so it really does have a happy ending. Thank you for the kind wishes.

Seriously... get your friends and family on bbm and use Glympse... you never know when you'll need help, and its so darn easy to use.

Posted via CB10
    ronfc and Ragbert like this.
    04-29-14 09:38 AM
    BlackBerry need to blog this.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-14 11:52 PM
    I know you mean well, but it would probably be in bad taste if BlackBerry used this as a means to promote the brand. I am sure there are countless stories about BlackBerries being used during 9/11 (http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/20/te...ts/20BERR.html) and hurricane Katrina (http://www.nytimes.com/packages/pdf/...1022_FEMA2.pdf)

Let's face it, BlackBerry has a long legacy as a robust communications tool even when others have failed.

OP - thank you for sharing your story with us and I hope you friend has a speedy recovery.
    Last edited by terminatorx; 05-02-14 at 01:33 AM.
    05-02-14 12:56 AM
    Hope your friend had a speedy recovery. Posting your story on CB is one way of educating other of this life saving techniques. Maybe spread your words to a wider audience by contacting your local paper or tv station and tell them this true story. Then maybe more people are aware of this life savings techniques to non-bbm users. Another way of thinking BlackBerry/bbm. Just a thought.

posted via CB10 using my awesome Z10 keyboard
    05-04-14 02:19 PM
    Wow! Thanks OP!!
    05-04-14 02:24 PM
    I've started with my friends and family. My future children will Def have bbm and Glympse.

My friend is soo much better now. It was an eye opener to see someone so greatly affected for so long by a head injury just from slipping.

I want to develop an app that creates an icon for an emergency Glympse to a specific contact(s). Any developers willing to write some code with me?

Posted via CB10
    05-04-14 02:42 PM
    Blackberrryyyyy! Either get BlackBerry maps working in lebanon oor allow bbm Glympse to use other maaaps plzzz!

Stories like this gets us needing more than wanting!

Send from my Q10 in Duracell Mode
    05-04-14 03:21 PM