Hi CB Members

I got tired of the double type issue that my Q10 was having as it was getting to the point of having
    to deal with it with every message. Anyways, it was still under warranty so I sent it in today and
    was given a choice of a Z10 and a Q5. It was a no brainer since I am a keyboard guy. After about
    an hour, these are the things that I have found so far. BTW, I know an hour is in no way a proper
    assessment but since I pretty much know my Q10 inside and out, I think I can sum up the differences
    so far that jump out at me. Even if it is a few...

1) the Q5 is a wee bit slimmer than my Q5 as it fits in my Q10 holster and has a little wiggle room
    2) The Q5 is lighter
    3) Downloaded the CB10 App right away and the background is in WHITE not black like my Q10
    4) The vibrate mode only has a slightly different vibe...maybe cause it vibrates a bit more and does
    it twice
    5) The keys make a clicking sound.
    6) Cant remove the battery
    7) No HDMI but has Miracast
    8) Takes longer to boot up than the Q10 and I will assume its the processor
    9) Half the storage space
    10) The Screen appears much brighter and its actually easier to view in the sunlight

Overall, I wouldnt mind having the Q5 as a daily driver if my Q10 didnt exist. I feel for the $150 from
    Koodo (in Canada), you cant go wrong with this Blackberry.

To be honest though, I would trade them both in for the New Classic as it sounds like it will
    blow the existing Blackberry with Keyboards away
    04-23-14 08:53 PM
    Never tried the Q10, but the $150 koodo price for the Q5 made it an easy decision for me to buy even with the slower processor and smaller storage space.
    04-23-14 10:42 PM
    You're right, that BlackBerry Classic is gonna be the turning point I think, absolutely can't wait for its release. It won't convert other people, but I think it's the device us long term BlackBerry users have been waiting for.

from an australian Z10...
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    04-23-14 11:06 PM
    Update: hate when I set the notification setting to vibrate and then retrieve the Q5 from my holster, I am always touching the volume key and because of this, it changes the notification to normal every single time. Wish there was a way to disconnect this annoying feature. Two more (hopefully) weeks to go

Q10 & Loaner Q5 for two Weeks
    04-24-14 11:12 AM
    Update: hate when I set the notification setting to vibrate and then retrieve the Q5 from my holster, I am always touching the volume key and because of this, it changes the notification to normal every single time. Wish there was a way to disconnect this annoying feature. Two more (hopefully) weeks to go

Go into main volume and turn always adjust media volume on. That will solve problem.

Straight Talk Z10, .2179
    04-26-14 08:23 PM
    Thanks will give it a shot but I think I already tried that! Driving me nuts! Miss my Q10! 4 more days to go! Battery life is much better on the 10 as well

04-26-14 08:36 PM
    Nope the volume being turned up to max doesn't fix the problem. Just made me jump when I received a text message but thanks anyways! Almost 3 days to go!

04-26-14 10:37 PM
    I've been in your shoes, and sure missed my Q5 when it was in getting serviced. Koodo was nice enough to give me a Z10 loaner, which I did like but it wasn't the same. I will look at the classic when it comes out, and if I prefer it I might just buy it.

Posted via CB10
    04-27-14 12:05 AM
    Nope the volume being turned up to max doesn't fix the problem. Just made me jump when I received a text message but thanks anyways! Almost 3 days to go!

Q5 vs Q10-img_20140427_123958.png

Even with that bottom switch on? Weird!

Straight Talk Z10, .2179
    04-27-14 11:41 AM
    My shoes? I am waiting for my Q10! I really dont like the Q5 after having it for one week. I really miss my Q10! Tried a Z10 for about a week and I am and always will be a keyboard guy!

I've been in your shoes, and sure missed my Q5 when it was in getting serviced. Koodo was nice enough to give me a Z10 loaner, which I did like but it wasn't the same. I will look at the classic when it comes out, and if I prefer it I might just buy it.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-14 11:24 PM
    Yup! Driving me nuts. Hopefully my Q10 is back later today

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140427_123958.png 
Views:	2413 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	266139

Even with that bottom switch on? Weird!

Straight Talk Z10, .2179
    04-29-14 11:25 PM
    Yup! Driving me nuts. Hopefully my Q10 is back later today
    Hopefully the Q10 will be fixed and typing ok!

Straight Talk Z10, .2179
    04-30-14 09:58 AM
    I really like the Q5 personally. I got one for one of the kids off Amazon unlocked for $225. It's a nice little phone. I prefer my Z10 but I liked the Q5.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-14 10:47 AM
    I'm curious about the Q5, given the Q10 double-typing problem, which I haven't experienced, but it could show up. I bought my Q10 on eBay and could still return it and possible use the Q5 until we see what the Classic is going to look like. I'm not worried about the 8 GB of storage. I have most of the apps I'll ever want loaded on my Q10, and I still have 9.4 GB free.

Which model would work on T-Mobile US network, including LTE?
    Edit: I found another thread that indicates the SQR100-1 is the right one for T-Mo, but the Koodo page doesn't indicate which model they're selling.
    Last edited by ubizmo; 05-02-14 at 12:16 PM.
    05-02-14 11:58 AM
    I'm curious about the Q5, given the Q10 double-typing problem, which I haven't experienced, but it could show up. I bought my Q10 on eBay and could still return it and possible use the Q5 until we see what the Classic is going to look like. I'm not worried about the 8 GB of storage. I have most of the apps I'll ever want loaded on my Q10, and I still have 9.4 GB free.

Which model would work on T-Mobile US network, including LTE?
    Edit: I found another thread that indicates the SQR100-1 is the right one for T-Mo, but the Koodo page doesn't indicate which model they're selling.
    The koodo model is the SQR100-1. I just got it delivered today after ordering it Wednesday night. Talk about fast service!!

Loving this phone. I wasn't sure if I could go back to the physical keyboard but it feels great. Its just like my Curve 9360, the device that made love blackberry, except it has an amazing operating system and features. Very pleased with the Q5

Posted via CB10
    05-02-14 09:04 PM
    Got my brand new Q10 from Telus as they didn't bother repairing the old one! I will mention that the Q5 wouldn't see both wifi networks on my dual 2.4/5 router. Only the 2.4, also the battery on the Q5 isn't removable and only lasted me about 1/2 a day as compared to a full day on the Q10. I am not saying that this is all Q5's it's just what happened to me with my loaner Q5 while it was in my possession for 8 days. I am like a pig in doodoo with my Q10 back and no double type issues at all (for now)!

Q10 with Telus on 10.2.1.2141
    05-02-14 09:19 PM
    For 3) it's because of Q10 display is AMOLED and black background saves energy, Q5 is standard LCD - color does not matter.

Comparing Q10 and Q5 price I'd say Q5 is clear winner. When I decided for Q10, that time price difference was much more smaller.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-14 03:45 AM
    I just swapped a Q10 for a Q5. My Q10 wasn't very old and had already developed a slightly loose battery door, keyboard is already failing and giving me the double type issue as well. So I swapped for a Q5 (brand new) and wow, I gotta say I prefer the Q5 all the way. Never thought I would like this style keyboard but its great, I'm already as fast as I was on the Q10 (before the damn keyboard started going nuts) and I can see theres more speed to come. Start up a little slower but after that I can't tell the speed difference. Camera isn't as good but I own a nice point n shoot as well as a dslr so who cares. The slight curve to the back edges make it sit in my hand way better and I have to say imo that without the steel ring around the side of the phone it has a more modern look to it as well. Some people list the lack of an hdmi out port as a big loss but in my world I've never been tempted to bother with it, I have all my media streaming needs covered and I just don't use my phones in that way. My phone is a tool not a toy, I have lots of cool toys for that kind of stuff and son't need to bother tying up my phone for that stuff.

All in, only one thing wrong with a Q5, back of phone is too smooth. Going to mod it tonight to give it more of the Z10 feel.
    05-16-14 12:08 PM
    How are you planning on modding the back??

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    05-16-14 04:54 PM
    How are you planning on modding the back??

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    Leather of some kind?

We have barramundi fish skin here in North Queensland, which is easy to stretch and adapt plus very smooth. Can get it in various colours.

"No Q10?" -> "Buy from Chen... "
    05-16-14 11:03 PM
    Had my Q5 a few months now and have no regrets about buying it. The non-removable battery is not an issue for me I've had phones in the past where the back has come off in my pocket so it's reassuring to know this can't happen and the battery life has been good.

The camera is great takes good pictures although the Q10 has a higher quality camera that doesn't mean the Q5 can't take decent photos. I think the front facing camera is exactly the same on both.

The build quality on the Q10 is better but that's to be expected the Q10 and Q5 are at very different price points. Despite the higher build quality of the Q10 I prefer the general look of the Q5 and love the keyboard I find it much better than the Q10 keyboard.
    05-17-14 08:24 AM
    I am almost positive that the Q10 double-typing problem is caused by dust getting between the keyboard and the little click-bubble bit, getting stuck in the adhesive. It's not a software issue, because replacing the keyboard on my Q10 fixed it right away (and was pretty easy).

The Q5 doesn't have any adhesive between the keyboard and the click-bubbles (thus the clickiness of the keyboard), so even if dust got in there, it wouldn't stay, and I've had my Q5 for longer than the Q10 and haven't had a single problem (with the keyboard).
    mas_quemex likes this.
    05-19-14 06:57 AM
    I agree almost 100%. I've fixed a few so far and I must say its hard to see what was wrong, aside from dirt.

after some more usage and comparisons, the only thing i would like to have is a holster that fits better. I am using a q10 holster and while it still works for lock and unlock as well as for protection, its just a tiny bit loose.
    05-19-14 01:14 PM
    I'm stuck in long weekend shut down right now but I'm heading to fabric store tuesday. Leather maybe but these days theres lots to choose from for an application like this. I'll post again and do a before, during and after pic set.
    05-19-14 01:17 PM
    "We have barramundi fish skin here in North Queensland, which is easy to stretch and adapt plus very smooth. Can get it in various colours. "

that sounds cool. Quick, to google.
    05-19-14 01:17 PM
28 12