It means nothing.

I just wanted to post this before someone else does. Apple, Google, M$ does this, so what about BlackBerry?

These threads are crazy. And so is this one so carry on people, nothing to see

Posted via CB10
    cgk and richardat like this.
    04-23-14 04:58 PM
    This means the whole tablet market is gonna be like PC where commodity prices rules. BBRY has no chance to make money in it and has no chance to cash in the rapidly shrinking premium tablet market.
    04-23-14 05:13 PM
    If BlackBerry was in the tablet market it might mean something, but that isn't the case.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-23-14 05:15 PM
    Lmao

? BlackBerry Q10 ? Keep The Faith ?
    04-23-14 05:17 PM
    This means the whole tablet market is gonna be like PC where commodity prices rules. BBRY has no chance to make money in it and has no chance to cash in the rapidly shrinking premium tablet market.
    Or...it could be due to supply issues. Just a thought. If only Tim Cook,said,something about this...
    04-23-14 05:21 PM
    They still sold 16.3 million of them this quarter. Maybe the market isn't as big as some thought for high end tablets but it's still a pretty decent.
    04-23-14 05:41 PM
    It means that Android tablet sales continue to grow and eat into Apple's marketshare. Android moved into the top spot in marketshare (i.e., quarterly sales) a few quarters ago, and just as it happened with phones, Android will continue to grow until it dominates the tablet market.
    04-23-14 05:53 PM
    Or...it could be due to supply issues. Just a thought. If only Tim Cook,said,something about this...
    Cook said real drop was ~3% and not 16% as last quarter was influenced by high channel inventory. Reduced channel inventory this quarter.
    04-23-14 05:54 PM
    tablets are almost never on subsidized plans so price is more of a factor. The American subsidy model for smartphones had a HUGE affect on Apple success at their premium price points, $50 or $100 more up front may not affect your choice for $200-300 will.
    04-23-14 06:33 PM
    tablets are almost never on subsidized plans so price is more of a factor. The American subsidy model for smartphones had a HUGE affect on Apple success at their premium price points, $50 or $100 more up front may not affect your choice for $200-300 will.
    +++

As far as BB is concerned, it further underlines how terrible a decision it was to spend any engineering resources on the PlayBook instead of having gone all out on the BB10 based phones.
    04-24-14 07:30 AM
    +++

As far as BB is concerned, it further underlines how terrible a decision it was to spend any engineering resources on the PlayBook instead of having gone all out on the BB10 based phones.
    BB Playbook was a stepping stone to BB10.
    I don't think it was a waste. If it was priced right it might have taken off. i.e. 300 to begin with and not 500
    They went from BB7 to PBOS to BB10 in 3 yrs.
    Pretty crazy fast to me.
    Much like Apple used OSX as stepping stone to iOS only they had a decade.
    georg4BB likes this.
    04-24-14 07:59 AM
    I think what it means really Is that tablets are not like the phone market at all!

Most people who have tablets that are even a couple years old will not desire an upgrade as much as a couple year old phone. Phone typically gets much more use and wear and tear so more quickly required to upgrade. Tablets could last year's before requiring an upgrade in hardware for the average user. Someone who has an iPad from 2 years ago won't need to rush out to buy one this year. And there was such a boom of sales the first years that most people have a tablet now that wanted or needed one and now they won't rush out to replace it until it breaks.

Posted via CB10
    KingOfQwerty likes this.
    04-24-14 09:45 AM
    Oh to answer your question. Means nothing to BlackBerry.

They aren't selling tablets anymore...if they announce a new one then it may matter

Posted via CB10
    Laura Knotek and bbq10l like this.
    04-24-14 09:48 AM
    We have an IPad at our house that never gets used. My kids use their Z10 and Iphone 5.. my wife uses her Z30 and I use my Z10 doe games, quick searches, reading sites like this when at home. I use a desktop PC for work etc. and I also have a laptop that sits sometimes for days or weeks without being turned on.

Maybe it is because we are busy with school, work, soccer, dance playing outside and visiting with friends but I find it just as easy to get a score or a quick search from my phone and for intense Web I still like my desktop or laptop.

Posted via CB10
    georg4BB and haringfish like this.
    04-24-14 10:05 AM
    I don't think it was a waste. If it was priced right it might have taken off. i.e. 300 to begin with and not 500
    Pretty crazy fast to me.
    OSX is more than a stepping stone, it's a full featured desktop OS that is still in development, iOS is just it's mobile child. And even though iOS makes up most of Apples profits OSX is far from the failure the Playbook was. They're selling 4 million macs a quarter at around 40% revenue.
    richardat likes this.
    04-24-14 11:09 AM
    Heins was so right, bring him back. Heins >> Chen.
    04-24-14 12:04 PM
    It means that Android tablet sales continue to grow and eat into Apple's marketshare. Android moved into the top spot in marketshare (i.e., quarterly sales) a few quarters ago, and just as it happened with phones, Android will continue to grow until it dominates the tablet market.
    The real question for Apple is whether they can navigate a course which maintains industry leadership and profits in that space.
    04-24-14 12:08 PM
    Cause iPads are effin expensive

Posted via CB10
    04-24-14 12:47 PM
    I like my iPhone but no expandable storage on a tablet? Call me old fashioned but it's a no for me.

I'll just keep using my Note 3 as a tablet...

Sent from the one in beautiful blue using Tapatalk.
    haringfish likes this.
    04-24-14 01:23 PM
    Oh dear .....

Samsung caught lying about tablet sales
    04-24-14 04:16 PM
    Pretty crazy fast to me.
    Well, what this actually means is that they deliberately planned and executed over a period of time, so they brought it to market when it was ready.

BB on the other hand reacted to avoid being roadkill.
    04-24-14 04:17 PM
    This means stupid people are waking up to the Apple propaganda of outdated products for a premium price.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-14 04:22 PM
    What Tim Cook said, in the official earnings call, is that "iPad sales came in at the high end of our expectations."

Is that "missing targets"? It might be "missing what analysts guessed they might be", but I'm not sure that is the same thing.

Anyway, if slowing iPad sales growth (which is what is clearly happening) means anything for Blackberry, it could be good news, for this reason: If phones are increasingly seen as doing well enough the job that people have asked tablets to do for the past few years, then Blackberry could have more hope of succeeding in that space, without a(nother) costly (to develop, market, and support) tablet.
    04-24-14 08:41 PM
    "Whereas throughout 2011 Samsung sold just under a million tablets in the U.S"

Makes Playbook look less fail.
    04-24-14 10:22 PM
    The real question for Apple is whether they can navigate a course which maintains industry leadership and profits in that space.
    Difficult imo. Google followed the same pattern of MS in PC market where it provided OS and 3rd party (not necessarily means bad) to develop hardware. Because the consumer electronics market is so fragmented by need, region, regulation that OS + Device makers like Apple and BBRY have to work hard to win the heart as well as balance sheet. That is a difficult proportion where each and every decisions has to thoroughly thought of unlike BB's PB decision.
    At best AAPL will win heart of media creators (yet difficult how they will place iPad as a necessity between Mac and iPhone) and BBRY in enterprise space.
    04-24-14 10:58 PM
36 12