No more Nokia handsets but Windows Mobile handsets...a big brand bites the dust.

Source: Microsoft reportedly plans to rename Nokia Oyj - CNET

When Microsoft's acquisition of Nokia's devices and services business closes, the software giant plans to rename Nokia Oyj to Microsoft Mobile Oy, according to a letter sent to suppliers.

The new wholly-owned subsidiary will serve as Microsoft's mobile devices division, according to the letter, which informed suppliers that the terms and conditions of their contracts will not change when the deal is completed.

"Please note that upon the close of the transaction between Microsoft and Nokia, the name of Nokia Corporation/Nokia Oyj will change to Microsoft Mobile Oy," a copy of which was obtained by Nokiapoweruser.

CNET has contacted Microsoft for comment and will update this report when we learn more.

When Microsoft announced its plans to acquire Nokia's handset division and license some patents last September, the company said it expected the $7.2 billion deal to close by the first quarter of this year. However, Microsoft announced last month that antitrust reviews of the acquisition in Asia would delay the deal's closure until April.

Nokia said on Monday that it expects the deal to close on April 25.

Nokia became Microsoft's biggest and closest Windows Phone partner in a mutual bid for relevance in a market dominated by Apple's iOS and Google's Android.

Microsoft shares ticked up 7 cents, or 0.2 percent, to $40.08 in trading on Monday.

Updated at 10:16 a.m. PT on April 21: To include Nokia's confirmation of the closing date and Microsoft's recent share price.
    flyingsolid likes this.
    04-23-14 02:12 AM
    Cool bro, thanks for sharing. It was expected I guess.

Sent from a mobile device via Tapatalk
    04-23-14 02:15 AM
    Windows Mobile Lumia 1020 just sounds HORRIBLE.
    04-23-14 04:44 AM
    Windows Mobile Lumia 1020 just sounds HORRIBLE.
    Yes, it does.
    MS also acquired the rights to the "Lumia" name as part of the deal, so I'd guess that future phones will be branded with Lumia in place of Nokia.

JBB
    04-23-14 04:56 AM
    Rest in peace, Nokia.
    Nayalm likes this.
    04-23-14 05:00 AM
    Oh. Great. Kill brand recognition and make it generic. I don't think this is a good idea...

�Sent from a larger than life device. Using Tapatalk�
    04-23-14 06:06 AM
    Oh. Great. Kill brand recognition and make it generic. I don't think this is a good idea...

�Sent from a larger than life device. Using Tapatalk�

I doubt MS had a choice. Nokia still exists, and is still trading under that name (non-phone divisions).
    I don't think it'll do much harm actually - far more people refer to my phone as a Lumia than call it a Nokia... so the Lumia tag retains brand-recognition.

JBB
    04-23-14 07:47 AM
    I doubt MS had a choice. Nokia still exists, and is still trading under that name (non-phone divisions).
    I don't think it'll do much harm actually - far more people refer to my phone as a Lumia than call it a Nokia... so the Lumia tag retains brand-recognition.

JBB
    Good point. I guess I just wonder how consumers see Nokia right now. I think they'll end up just calling it by numbers like BlackBerry does. The WP 1950 (Example). What do you think?

Sent from the Berry using Tapatalk.
    04-23-14 08:19 AM
    Good point. I guess I just wonder how consumers see Nokia right now. I think they'll end up just calling it by numbers like BlackBerry does. The WP 1950 (Example). What do you think?

Lol how about Windows Lumia bla bla

Sent from a mobile device via Tapatalk
    Bor Navas likes this.
    04-23-14 08:30 AM

MS got rights for "Lumia" name. They will call WP devices like Lumia 930 or Lumia Icon. Simple... and not mutch different from now.
    Septembersrain likes this.
    04-23-14 08:43 AM