Yo Crackberry,

For the past 7 months I've been the proud owner of the BlackBerry Z10, as my desire to own a qwerty BB10 device increases I've decided to look into purchasing the Q5.

My question is overall will I be disappointed with the Q5 after the switch?

The two crucial bits for me in a phone are:

Build Quality: my z10 has withstood some real knocks and several screen first hits on floors that iPhone would fear and therefore it's crucial I have a phone that will withstand everything I have to throw at it.

And

Battery: the non removable back to me is attractive as a spend most my time playing with the back of my z10 and therefore wearing the clips on the back. I'd love a phone that gives me at least a days worth of battery, with modest 3g use and a lot of music. My z10 does struggle with this.

One last question what is the keyboard quality like?

Hopefully in the upcoming month I'll become an active member of this sub forum. Woo!

Posted via CB10
    GooberNS likes this.
    04-20-14 03:12 PM
    I'm also considering getting a red one. I've been wanting a red BlackBerry since my little Curve.
    04-20-14 03:33 PM
    I have both Q10 and Q5. Q5 looks like cheap chinese fake compared to Q10 in build quality.

Keys are hard to press and for me there are to big spaces between them. I don't like overall design of Q5 generally.

I you have option look at ebay. Yesterday I found one brand new unlocked Q10 for 5900 czech crowns (guess about 250 dollars (?)) inc VAT and shipping.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-14 03:38 PM
    I have the q5. It's pretty nice, a bit slower than the z10 but a great phone. Battery is much better too.
    You might miss the big screen but since you said "3g" I can assume you don't watch too much media on the phone

It's a great phone, build quality is nice too although it's obviously just plastic.
    The z10 had terrible build quality, and I only noticed after I got a z30
    04-20-14 03:43 PM
    The Q5 has a fantastic battery, it has never ever died on me and I use it with H+, wifi, watching videos, twitter, iGrann and for reading news daily. The keyboard is slightly noisy but it has great feedback, it's clicky. Personally the white looks the best, but because of its plastic shell, it will show oil marks etc but this is less visible on the white version
    I'm considering the Q5, would I be disappointed?-img_20140420_214525.png

Posted via CB10 on the White BBQ5
    04-20-14 03:45 PM
    I got the Q5 for one of the kids recently. I really love it to be honest. It performs great. No speed issues and a great battery. I even played minion rush on it and it played as well on the Q5 as it does on my Z10. I got it new and unlocked off Amazon for $226. I'm thinking of getting one for myself.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-14 03:51 PM
    You won't be disappointed. I have a Z10 and bought a Q5 off contract for a very good price. I use the Q5 much more on account of it's longer battery life, accurate keyboard, and general everyday usability. Build quality is good, and in the flip case should withstand a fair amount of abuse. Things I miss from the Z10 ... screen real estate for browsing, and HDMI out.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-14 07:13 PM
    I own a q5, which I love as much as I can love a cell phone. However it's in the shop getting re-flashed or whatever they have to do after that last firmware update. So I have a loaner z10.

I miss the keyboard, and that is the only thing I miss about it. So I can't wait to get it back.
    However I love the screen on the z10, enough where I am planning on buying this if they'll sell it to me affordably enough.
    For 2 reasons.
    I always want a reliable backup phone since I work in harsh remote areas.
    Those pre-release firmware updates sound interesting. Although they are not recommended for a daily phone I still want to play around with them from time to time.

Just a quick edit, i actually get around the same battery life between the 2 phones. However I am using a power saving holster, which appears to work better with the z10. Which may explain why.
    Last edited by spruceartist; 04-21-14 at 12:08 AM.
    04-20-14 11:32 PM
    I bought a BlackBerry Z10 in February 2013 and a BlackBerry Q5 in September. The BlackBerry Q5 is great for communications in its various modes. To alleviate the slippery back of this smartphone a BlackBerry Soft Case is essential and adds less than 2mm thickness and literally no noticeable weight.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Q5
    04-21-14 08:32 PM
    To alleviate the slippery back of this smartphone a BlackBerry Soft Case is essential and adds less than 2mm thickness and literally no noticeable weight.

I still have my soft case but use a z10 holster more now. I don't personally find the black one as slippery, and I like the screen protection.

However I would love to find a translucent white soft case just because I would think it would look amazing.
    04-22-14 01:47 AM
    Wow the Q5 doesn't have hdmi out? That would be a killer for me! Get a Q10

Q10 with Telus on 10.2.1.2141
    04-22-14 02:14 AM
    I bought a BlackBerry Z10 in February 2013 and a BlackBerry Q5 in September. The BlackBerry Q5 is great for communications in its various modes. To alleviate the slippery back of this smartphone a BlackBerry Soft Case is essential and adds less than 2mm thickness and literally no noticeable weight.

Thanks for the suggestion, the official soft shell has been purchased for a bargain price of �4 and after many positive comments surrounding the Q5 I've decided next week I'll go out and purchase it! Excited!

Posted via CB10
    04-22-14 04:16 AM
    I also have Q5 but the screen difference will be a loss for sure battery is great and I agree the look and feel is cheaper than the Q10 but the sound of the Q5 is better than Z10.the keyboard is okay not as good as the Bold 9900. I'm sure you'd get use to it though,if you can get it for the Koodo price of $150.00 like I did you can't go wrong.

My extra extraordinary Z30
    alan510 likes this.
    04-22-14 12:15 PM
    I love the Q5. I bought it a couple of months ago and switched from an iPhone 4S. Yes, it is made of plastic, but it's pretty solid and doesn't wiggle or anything like that. It certainly isn't brushed steel like several highend phones have nowadays. I bought the official hard cover in white (I have the black one), and it looks awesome.

With regards to the keyboard, I must admit I was uncertain about the spacing between the keys, since the spacing looked huge on the pictures I saw (They aren't sold in physical stores in Denmark). Luckily I found the spacing to be just perfect - I don't think I'd have been able to use the Q10 where there's no spacing at all. And no, I don't have huge hands, and I'm not clumsy - the spacing just feels natural and actually makes writing without looking pretty easy.

The battery is also quite good and overall I'm extremely pleased with the Q5. It's one of the best phones I've ever had, and I can't imagine going back to an iPhone

Posted via CB10
    BERRYNOID, Norg and alan510 like this.
    04-22-14 01:45 PM
    I'm trying to get my wife to let go of her 9900 for a Q5 but she's very attached to the Bold keyboard. Does the Q series have the same shortcuts as the legacy devices? That would be an absolute deal breaker with her.
    04-22-14 07:12 PM
    The lack of hdmi is totally a drawback. Other than that the phone is a great deal!

Posted via CB10
    04-22-14 08:17 PM
    Honestly, its a great device. I bought it, 4 months later kept it back inside because i felt i didn't require it, and 2 months later (now) i'm back with it because i just love having that keyboard.
    I'm so sick of all these touchscreen phones out there, having a keyboard just makes me feel so much better. But in general, my Q5 has never lagged up on me, battery life is pretty good compared to my iPhone 5s at least and the camera isn't that bad, obviously if i compare that to a 5s its not great, but it does the job.
    Sideloaded Snapchat, Instagram, and a few other necessary applications for my use, and now i have both my phones with me at all times!
    Get the Q5 if you can, its definitely worth it and its a sturdy phone. You can drop it a few times and know that nothing has happened to it.
    04-23-14 01:11 PM
    The lack of hdmi is totally a drawback. Other than that the phone is a great deal!

Posted via CB10
    Not necessarily... You can use Miracast and a suitable HDMI Miracast dongle.

Posted via CB10
    greenpoise likes this.
    04-23-14 01:31 PM
    Wow the Q5 doesn't have hdmi out? That would be a killer for me! Get a Q10

Q10 with Telus on 10.2.1.2141
    It's supposed to be a cheaper device... but it does have miracast. (I think)

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    04-23-14 01:33 PM
    And media server capability. I can use my PS3 to view what is on my Q5 including movies,pics and music.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-14 07:20 PM

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry should have included HDMI on the BlackBerry Q5. Their claim it would increase the cost of the CAD450.00 smartphone was non-sense.

04-24-14 06:07 AM
    I'm trying to get my wife to let go of her 9900 for a Q5 but she's very attached to the Bold keyboard. Does the Q series have the same shortcuts as the legacy devices? That would be an absolute deal breaker with her.
    If she's anything like my wife, suggest you buy her a Q10... you'll make her feel special and she'll perceive it as an upgrade !! Me I'm running a Q5 these past few weeks and loving it and this after 1 full year with a Z10 !!

Posted via CB10 with my Super Snappy Q5
    Last edited by gliveron; 04-24-14 at 07:33 AM.
    04-24-14 07:09 AM
    BlackBerry should have included HDMI on the BlackBerry Q5. Their claim it would increase the cost of the CAD450.00 smartphone was non-sense.

Really not missing it, besides Miracast works great !!

04-24-14 07:10 AM
    I love the Q5. I bought it a couple of months ago and switched from an iPhone 4S. Yes, it is made of plastic, but it's pretty solid and doesn't wiggle or anything like that. It certainly isn't brushed steel like several high end phones have nowadays. I bought the official hard cover in white (I have the black one), and it looks awesome.

With regards to the keyboard, I must admit I was uncertain about the spacing between the keys, since the spacing looked huge on the pictures I saw (They aren't sold in physical stores in Denmark). Luckily I found the spacing to be just perfect - I don't think I'd have been able to use the Q10 where there's no spacing at all. And no, I don't have huge hands, and I'm not clumsy - the spacing just feels natural and actually makes writing without looking pretty easy.

The battery is also quite good and overall I'm extremely pleased with the Q5. It's one of the best phones I've ever had, and I can't imagine going back to an iPhone

Posted via CB10
    I couldn't agree with you more, however I would add the following :
    - The battery performance is really awesome,
    - The device is small enough to slide into my front pocket so easily,
    - Spec says processor is slower but you really don't notice it if coming from a Z10,
    - $216 bucks on Amazon.com it's the best work phone I've ever had hands down !!

04-24-14 07:28 AM
    Just received the Q5 yesterday and the transition from a Curve was painless. The phone operates just fine and is a pleasant surprise after having a Z10 for over a year and no issues except the battery life. This phone is just perfect for my wife. Very happy. The sad thing is most retail stores do not show or promote the blackberry products and accessories. I think blackberry can do a better job of promoting their products.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-14 02:29 PM
33 12