Ok...so not totally by choice. He's a wanderer when it comes to phones, and lately has been on the iP5. College chilled his habits for spending and his phone gave it up the other day. He's now on my extra Z30 (too big for my taste). Lots of praise yesterday for it.
    I'm very interested to see if my 19yr old will adopt it, and if it will gain traction with his friends. To me...a great case study for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-14 08:08 AM
    Certainly is a nice thing to have an extra Z30 sitting around the house not being used. Lucky kid.
    kbz1960 and southlander like this.
    04-20-14 08:10 AM
    Certainly is a nice thing to have an extra Z30 sitting around the house not being used. Lucky kid.
    Indeed!
    04-20-14 08:57 AM
    I'm glad to see it being used. Used an upgrade when Verizon was stalling to get the updates out, ordered it online, and Alas it was just too big for my hands. With 15 people on my business plan it made sense to keep it as a backup for someone.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-20-14 08:58 AM
    I am 14 and I love this BlackBerry 10 device

Posted via CB10
    Gatmyer, nick13b, redsaph and 4 others like this.
    04-20-14 09:00 AM
    Please keep us updated ! thx!!

White Z30 ROCKS!!
    04-20-14 04:49 PM
    Update : so far he loves the Z30.

Two complaints so far ...No SnapChat (apk file stalls out...needs Google Play) and the dreaded iMessage conundrum when someone leaves the iPhone world. Getting your text number released from iMessage is beyond challenging. I know, many will say "Use BBM. Its better!" Look at it from his chair, not yours. He's not out to convert everyone to BlackBerry. He's looking to stay connected to his peers in the same way they are connected.

Loves: display, speakers, nfc for music transfer, picture password, browser...

I'm curious to see how the Z30 impacts his academic/ homework connection.

Posted via CB10
    redsaph and kbz1960 like this.
    04-21-14 09:31 AM
    Side load Snap2chat for him and call your service provider

Posted via CB10
    Made in flanders likes this.
    04-21-14 10:40 AM

Two complaints so far ...No SnapChat (apk file stalls out...needs Google Play) and the dreaded iMessage conundrum when someone leaves the iPhone world. Getting your text number released from iMessage is beyond challenging. I know, many will say "Use BBM. Its better!" Look at it from his chair, not yours. He's not out to convert everyone to BlackBerry. He's looking to stay connected to his peers in the same way they are connected.

Posted via CB10
    He just needs to log in to the iCloud website and he can change it there, or in his Apple ID account settings. It's not hard. He can also turn off iMessage on his iPhone if it still functions enough to do that.

Posted via CB10
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    04-21-14 11:09 AM
    Get Native SnapChat in BlackBerry World. Never worry sideloading snapchat again and experience a better and faster snapchat. http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...tent/47649895/

Posted via BlackBerry 10.3
    04-24-14 01:36 PM
    Get Native SnapChat in BlackBerry World. Never worry sideloading snapchat again and experience a better and faster snapchat. Snap2Chat - BlackBerry World

Posted via BlackBerry 10.3
    C'mon man, it's called Snap2Chat. Get it right! lol (oh, the irony)
    04-24-14 03:03 PM

Posted via CB10
    Great, 2 problems with easy solutions! Snap2chat just got released today, and the imessage thing is an easy fix, see posts above mine. Glad he's liking the phone!

Posted via CB10
    PatrickMJS and bungaboy like this.
    04-24-14 03:09 PM
    Update: the Z30 officially failed to capture him. After living with it for several weeks his contract renewal came due and he left BlackBerry.
    Positives :
    1. He loved Picture Password
    2. The hub
    3. Swiping gestures
    4. Speakers
    5. Screen
    6. fit and finish.

Negatives :
    1. App world was a fail. Free versions leave a lot on the table, and paying for what's free in other platforms is not going to happen. 2. As a social device, it's close, but with choices, close doesn't count. Particularly if it's BlackBerry, which zero of his friends have.
    3. He also said it was a little slower on screen rotation, if it rotated at all.
    4. He really wanted to like it enough to stay, but again, with choices, why?

In the end it shows where the gap is. It wasn't the hardware or the features. Its the social use.

For me, it's the best mixed-use device made. For him, mixed use doesn't count yet.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-14 10:40 AM
    This phone has the best typing experience I've ever had. The hub is also a neat feature. I don't think I could live without it now. Screen rotation is a wash to me. I had the same problem with my iPhone before I switched and currently with my ipad now.

I think the social feel to him isn't right as he stated. You know the youngsters have to have the best and up to date apps. BlackBerry isn't there yet.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-14 11:10 AM
    Update: the Z30 officially failed to capture him. After living with it for several weeks his contract renewal came due and he left BlackBerry.
    Positives :
    2. The hub
    3. Swiping gestures
    4. Speakers
    5. Screen
    6. fit and finish.

Negatives :
    1. App world was a fail. Free versions leave a lot on the table, and paying for what's free in other platforms is not going to happen. 2. As a social device, it's close, but with choices, close doesn't count. Particularly if it's BlackBerry, which zero of his friends have.
    3. He also said it was a little slower on screen rotation, if it rotated at all.

In the end it shows where the gap is. It wasn't the hardware or the features. Its the social use.

For me, it's the best mixed-use device made. For him, mixed use doesn't count yet.

Posted via CB10
    Tell him to enjoy his iOS keyboard or whatever keyboard he buys for android.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-14 01:12 PM
    So, he really just wants games on it.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-14 01:12 PM
    I can understand how that would become frustrating for him. I don't use social network much so it doesn't affect me but anyone who is socially active will want to be on the latest... like vine, snapchat ect... and no third party app

Posted via CB10
    05-11-14 01:19 PM
    I can understand how that would become frustrating for him. I don't use social network much so it doesn't affect me but anyone who is socially active will want to be on the latest... like vine, snapchat ect... and no third party app

Posted via CB10
    Yup frustrates me about BB10 - third party apps are good but it's just the real deal.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-14 02:13 PM
    Positives :
    2. The hub
    3. Swiping gestures
    4. Speakers
    5. Screen
    6. fit and finish.

Negatives :

Posted via CB10
    So basically friends said " BlackBerry sucks"and then feels he needs to get back on iPhone do to peer pressure. Because I'm seeing more positives then negatives.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    kfh227 likes this.
    05-11-14 05:56 PM
    I wish I had an extra Z30 lying around.

:-)

Posted via CB10
    05-11-14 07:04 PM
    SO you're going to start gang-banging on a kid due to peer pressure?!

Peer Pressure ... let's look at it.
    - We ALL face in from Grade School/Jnr High all the way until end of College/University
    - We still have it in professional work space (going to lunch or making critical decisions as a team; yup your peer group); except here it's called Politics

So .... if anyone here - a Forum (yes another Peer group and there is LOT's of pressure when considering your own needs looking for advice - the pressure is here - to switch) - says there they don't succumb to peer presssure .... I call bull. If you REALLY don't then I point to your significant other - especially if she's your wife and the mother of your kids.

Done & Done...
    - Glad your kid gave it a try host!
    05-11-14 07:39 PM
    My son is 9 and hasn't developed brand loyalty yet. He would love a Bbry tablet.

Posted via CB10
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    05-11-14 07:49 PM
    Yeah. The social aspect of the black berry really sucks. I have unlimited internet and I have yet to video chat with anyone on BBM. I convinced someone to get BBM for their iPhone but without video chat it kind of sucks.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-14 09:09 PM
    Yeah. The social aspect of the black berry really sucks. I have unlimited internet and I have yet to video chat with anyone on BBM. I convinced someone to get BBM for their iPhone but without video chat it kind of sucks.

Posted via CB10
    I've used video chat a couple times then that person ditched the z10 (at 10.0 OS) due to the glitches, and lack of social apps.

I hate not being able to use video chat - cross platform needs to come asap. It will make BBM a big time player in instant messaging.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-14 09:51 PM
    So basically friends said " BlackBerry sucks"and then feels he needs to get back on iPhone do to peer pressure. Because I'm seeing more positives then negatives.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Not an accurate assessment at all. As I stated, it's not that the BlackBerry is a bad device. By counting, I've listed more device positives than negatives. But, the problem lies in that the positives are not in the right order of importance for him. Social connection is the name of the game.
    Almost all his friends are iPhone users, but he didn't go back to the iPhone. After loving the size of the Z30 he went to the Samsung S5.

What I'm saying is BlackBerry missed big in the social connection department, which carves a huge young market segment out of its potential sales/adoption. This case study doesn't pronounce him an iMan, or a DROIDman. It shows he buys what fits his user profile, and BlackBerry couldn't keep him, even with their best device , not even when it was free.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-14 10:15 PM
34 12