Hello. I have a bold9900 from at&t and I am currently on OS 7.1.0.428 (1424)... I checked the software update from about device and it says there is no update, but I saw three different update for 9900 on the blackberry website probably for unlocked 9900 or the international version, I want to know if there is no harm in upgrading to those ones?? Morever I won't like to upgrade to any at&t version because the only reason I want to update is to be able to select 2G alone or 3G alone in network settings as at&t OS versions don't enable this option but instead got me stuck with battery draining 4G!! Am not in the US and there is no at&t in my country.. Thanks..
    04-20-14 06:31 AM
    Any OS available for your device should be good to run. The family 9900s pretty much always have the latest OS installed no matter what is official. Install away. Be sure to back up in advance.

Via CB10. Bits, C000C6078 for links to science and technology posts and world news.
    04-20-14 07:23 AM
    How about the 4G/3G/2G issue??
    04-20-14 09:59 AM
    How about the 4G/3G/2G issue??
    That is a carrier issue. The OS may allow a choice the carrier limits. Check the forum discussion for the OS you wish to use to be sure.

Via CB10. Bits, C000C6078 for links to science and technology posts and world news.
    04-20-14 10:29 AM
    This is driving me crazy, I don't understand how a carrier could have control over an OS settings option? And am not even using an at&t sim, just the phone.. Other people using 9900 with same local network as me have the option on their phone to select either only 2G or 3G as they wish.. But their phones are not originally from at&t like mine.. So how could at&t a thousand mile away in another continent have control over a fresh install OS on a phone?
    Last edited by jazzdglass; 04-20-14 at 03:02 PM.
    04-20-14 01:19 PM
    Must be a hardware issue. News to me. I always thought the option was software in origin.

04-20-14 03:18 PM
    Picking 2G/3G is software related. Just load someone elses OS and the option should return for you. I can't remember what AT&T version killed this feature because it was fully functional at one point.
    jazzdglass likes this.
    04-21-14 08:10 AM
    Picking 2G/3G is software related. Just load someone elses OS and the option should return for you. I can't remember what AT&T version killed this feature because it was fully functional at one point.
    Thanks! Finally someone talking well..... I intend to load a new OS from latest OS page of blackberry official site... Is there anything I should be weary of
    04-22-14 03:18 AM
    Thanks! Finally someone talking well..... I intend to load a new OS from latest OS page of blackberry official site... Is there anything I should be weary of
    Process is easy. Backup before all else. Follow the instructions and all should be well.

04-22-14 05:07 AM
    I have AT&T Z10 that I got unlocked and was running OS from other carriers until AT&T released the update. I am in Asia and have non AT&T sim in and can change settings for 2G,etc

Posted via CB10
    04-22-14 06:24 AM
    It doesn't work that way. As soon as you log into the AT&T network, all their service books gets loaded onto the phone and everything gets locked down again. Just loading another carrier's OS won't change that because it's not OS related. It's SIM card related. That's why even after deleting AT&T bloatwear apps, they return after the next reboot.

I've had a Torch 9800 running OS 6 and no OS I loaded changed that option. And I had a bunch of non-AT&T OSs loaded on it for the near 3 years I had it. I could never switch it to 3G only. The only options were 2G only, or 2G/3G.

There are ways to get a 3G only option by setting an option in the engineering screen. But even that only lasts until the next reboot. If only the BBOS didn't need regular reboots or battery pulls.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-14 09:27 PM
    That's weird. But we are talking OS7 here. I just loaded an O2 OS from UK and it doesn't bring the 2G or 3G option, there's no way to switch even between any of them. Its annoying.. But am not in US nor am I using an AT&T sim... I hate to have to open escreen each time to do this
    06-24-14 03:31 AM
    It doesn't work that way. As soon as you log into the AT&T network, all their service books gets loaded onto the phone and everything gets locked down again. Just loading another carrier's OS won't change that because it's not OS related. It's SIM card related. That's why even after deleting AT&T bloatwear apps, they return after the next reboot.

I've had a Torch 9800 running OS 6 and no OS I loaded changed that option. And I had a bunch of non-AT&T OSs loaded on it for the near 3 years I had it. I could never switch it to 3G only. The only options were 2G only, or 2G/3G.

There are ways to get a 3G only option by setting an option in the engineering screen. But even that only lasts until the next reboot. If only the BBOS didn't need regular reboots or battery pulls.

Posted via CB10
    That's weird. But we are talking OS7 here. I just loaded an O2 OS from UK and it doesn't bring the 2G or 3G option, there's no way to switch even between any of them. Its annoying.. But am not in US nor am I using an AT&T sim... I hate to have to open escreen each time to do this
    06-24-14 03:33 AM