Hey Everyone,
    So it's been exactly three years since the PlayBook had launched to consumers officially. While it may have not been the smoothest of launches or support processes, it represented a vision. The vision that BlackBerry could get past their legacy Java based platform and (with the help of Quanta) create a device which had the necessary hardware to run the great Tablet OS.

The operating system was new, it was fresh, and unfortunately unfinished. The only problem was after launch software support. Eventually we got PlayBook OS 2.0 (we even had a slumber party!). It was great, it gave us something new to play with and kept quite a few of us happy. Sadly, the software support lagged behind the hardware. Eventually time caught up. The hardware became outdated and even BlackBerry themselves believed that it wasn't worth providing major updates to the PlayBook OS anymore.

The PlayBook largely became a testbed for BlackBerry 10. Elements from BlackBerry 10 have been taken from the PlayBook and redesigned and re-engineered to fit the mobile form factor. It's not about what the PlayBook could have been anymore, it's about what the PlayBook allowed BlackBerry to do to bring out their latest operating system, BlackBerry 10. PlayBook, you will NEVER be forgotten.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-14 03:10 PM
    I still use my PlayBook daily. It's not the quickest any more, but it still gets the job done when I'm away from my desktop, and I still prefer browsing on it to my Z30 even though it's slower. Matter of fact, there are some aspects of the UI that I like better than BB10 -- specifically multitasking and switching between open apps. And I'll keep using it until it no longer boots up or holds a charge, because it's still the only tablet I care to use.

But aside from all that, I do have to agree -- the PlayBook really did pave the way for BB10, regardless of how successful it was or wasn't on its own.
    04-19-14 04:41 PM
    I still use my PlayBook daily. It's not the quickest any more, but it still gets the job done when I'm away from my desktop, and I still prefer browsing on it to my Z30 even though it's slower. Matter of fact, there are some aspects of the UI that I like better than BB10 -- specifically multitasking and switching between open apps. And I'll keep using it until it no longer boots up or holds a charge, because it's still the only tablet I care to use.

But aside from all that, I do have to agree -- the PlayBook really did pave the way for BB10, regardless of how successful it was or wasn't on its own.
    Same here, even after getting an iPad Mini as a personal device and using other tablets for review, I still like using the PlayBook for a few good reasons. Also the PIM apps are quite good on the PlayBook, no need to use a third party app for those functions because it works well and I think they all make good use of the screen size.
    04-19-14 07:28 PM
    I'm still using my playbook constantly, today I even recharged it 2 times because I really heavily used it all day. I'll continue to use it until the hdmi connection doesn't work or the battery no longer holds a charge. Very patiently waiting for another tablet from blackberry because I need a secure tablet. Could be waiting years for that though sigh.
    04-19-14 07:47 PM