Is the result the same?

Proudly posted by an Essex Lad with Z10
    04-18-14 09:48 PM
    No, the results are not the same. Holding down the power button down until the screen goes black results in a restart/soft reset. Notice as you are holding the button down the phone goes through a normal shut down and then restarts.

Holding down the (+) and (-) buttons together until the screen goes black results in a hard reset, like a battery pull. The difference is the phone does not go through a normal shutdown, it is just powers off. Unlike a soft resets/restart, unsaved data and settings are not retained. The hard reset is better for clearing bugs and glitches because corrupt files or issues are rarely saved.
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-18-14 11:03 PM
    Thankyou.

04-18-14 11:04 PM
    Not with Z10 - STL 100-1.

Z10 STL 100-1 ON 10.2.1.2758 -10.3 BROWSER AND SETTINGS.
    04-18-14 11:04 PM
    No, the results are not the same. Holding down the power button down until the screen goes black results in a restart/soft reset. Notice as you are holding the button down the phone goes through a normal shut down and then restarts.

Holding down the (+) and (-) buttons together until the screen goes black results in a hard reset, like a battery pull. The difference is the phone does not go through a normal shutdown, it is just powers off. Unlike a soft resets/restart, unsaved data and settings are not retained. The hard reset is better for clearing bugs and glitches because corrupt files or issues are rarely saved.
    then how bout z10 stl1 they can't use side button?

Posted via CB10
    04-18-14 11:05 PM
    ?????

04-18-14 11:05 PM
    IMHO, for the STL 100-1, when you press the Power button for three secs, it powers off, and if not for three secs, there is an option to cancel, lock or restart.

04-18-14 11:23 PM
    IMHO, for the STL 100-1, when you press the Power button for three secs, it powers off, and if not for three secs, there is an option to cancel, lock or restart.

I was referring to resetting, not turning off or on. Yes, if you just push and release, you lock the screen. If you press and hold for 1 to 2 seconds you get a notification to hold the power button down to turn off and also have the option for a restart. If you hold for longer the phone starts a countdown and proceeds to do a normal shutdown. If you hold past the white splashscreen until the screen goes black and release you've initiated a restart and the phone will reboot.

I apologize. The procedures I initially posted was in regard to a Z30. I would think it would be the same on the Z10 but I haven't tried it. On the Z30 the simultaneous holding of the (+) and (-) volume buttons is the only way to perform a true hard reset.
    04-19-14 01:23 AM
    On my Z10 pressing both volume buttons takes a screenshot

UK EE Z10/2. 2947/2235 w. Porsche Clock + 10.3 Browser
    04-19-14 03:31 AM
    You have to keep holding both buttons, ignore the screenshot message

BlackBerry Z10 via Verizon Wireless BBM 334AFCFA
    04-19-14 05:42 AM
    If you press both Volumn buttons (not the model 1), the screen will go dark and a Black/White Logo appears. But if you KEEP HOLDING (more seconds than seems comfortable), eventually a Colored Logo appears and the outside of it rotates as it reboots. Now, I have read that you should keep holding till you get the Colored logo. But I'm not sure if it makes any difference or if some of this is Urban BB Legend!!!

Can anyone actually point to a document, knowledge base article or other from official channels that distinguishes between some of these methods?
    04-19-14 12:56 PM
    You have to keep holding both buttons, ignore the screenshot message

BlackBerry Z10 via Verizon Wireless BBM 334AFCFA
    Like F2 said, just keep holding past the "screenshot" message, until the screen goes dark, then release, the phone will restart. On the Z30 the screen goes black (immediate power off) and you release at that point. It should be the same on the Z10.

The appearance of the blue BB logo with the progress ring around it is part of the power up process, no need to hold past the black screen.

The main difference between the hard reset and soft, and is apparent in the results, is that with the volume button method, there is an immediate power off without a normal shutdown, no notification of shutting down nor a countdown to power off, the same result as a battery pull. At least with the Z10 you can do an actual battery pull
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 04-19-14 at 07:18 PM.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-19-14 07:00 PM
    Can't do hard rest on Z10-1
    04-19-14 11:50 PM
    Can anyone actually point to a document, knowledge base article or other from official channels that distinguishes between some of these methods?
    Hard reset (reboot) vs. soft reset according to BlackBerry Knowledge Base:

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/b...ListHelperImpl

This document clarifies that rebooting/restarting/resetting a BlackBerry phone using the Power/Lock button or the volume rockers (not applicable to Z10STL100-1) is still a "soft reset".

The only way to hard reset (according to the kb) is to physically remove/install the battery.
    Uzi and FF22 like this.
    04-20-14 01:12 AM
    Hard reset (reboot) vs. soft reset according to BlackBerry Knowledge Base:

KB02141-Reset a BlackBerry smartphone

This document clarifies that rebooting/restarting/resetting a BlackBerry phone using the Power/Lock button or the volume rockers (not applicable to Z10STL100-1) is still a "soft reset".

The only way to hard reset (according to the kb) is to physically remove/install the battery.
    Well, that clarifies or debunks several of the "urban legends" about how to Hard/Soft reset the bb10 devices and how they are different from one another. (also debunks the entire "never pull the battery" on bb10 devices)
    04-20-14 09:40 AM

Not really.
    If you continue to hold down the power button until the screen lights up and the led lights up and the word BlackBerry up on screen again, the device has done a hard reboot. Just holding the power button down for the amount of the timer just switches the device off
    Volume rockers and holding down the power button have the same effect.
    Rebooting via the volume rockers doesn't work on the Z10 STL100-1, so the power button is the only option.

A soft reboot is achieved by holding down the power button and then tapping restart in the bottom right corner.

Hope this clears things up OP

Posted via CB10 from my Z30
    04-20-14 10:39 AM
    then how bout z10 stl1 they can't use side button?
    Power it off and then power it up again. Same result, takes a bit longer. The STL100-1 is unique amongst ALL BB10 devices because it is the only one that uses a TI CPU. (And probably the last one, too. TI is getting out of that market.)

I apologize. The procedures I initially posted was in regard to a Z30. I would think it would be the same on the Z10 but I haven't tried it. On the Z30 the simultaneous holding of the (+) and (-) volume buttons is the only way to perform a true hard reset.
    You can do a power cycle as described above for the Z30 as well. Same as hard reset.

Well, that clarifies or debunks several of the "urban legends" about how to Hard/Soft reset the bb10 devices and how they are different from one another. (also debunks the entire "never pull the battery" on bb10 devices)
    Not really. See below.

The problem is that BlackBerry's documents don't even agree with each other. As I keep repeatedly pointing-out, BlackBerry documentation stinks.

For example, here's a BlackBerry document that conflicts with that KB article:

How to restart a BlackBerry Z10 smartphone | Inside BlackBerry Help Blog

In that article, they try to draw a distinction between what they call a "reset" versus a "restart".

Their documentation is a mess.

Here is my take on it:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...device-927512/
    04-29-14 03:09 PM
    Oh, well, like who killed Kennedy and how many shots were fired - there will never be a final answer that satisfies everyone!
    04-29-14 04:22 PM
    You should never pull the battery when the device is powered on. Its like pulling the plug on your PC without shutting down, you run the risk of corrupting the data bases and never having the device power up properly again until you reload the OS.
    04-29-14 05:09 PM
    Oh, well, like who killed Kennedy and how many shots were fired - there will never be a final answer that satisfies everyone!
    And the sad thing is, it would be so easy if someone from BlackBerry with actual technical knowledge would take 3 minutes to clarify things like this.

Instead, we spend month after month here speculating and passing around old wives-tales about this or that technical aspect of the platform because no one in the company can be bothered to clarify things like this in detail.

It frustrates the bejeezus out of me.

Here's some other ones:

What is "Other Data" comprised of on the device?

What exactly is included in "Settings" and "Application data" in a Link backup/restore?

What is the maximum size of file attachment supported by BlackBerry 10 email?

Why are so many people getting "Limited connectivity" problems with WiFi unless they turn off cellular data these days, and if it's because 10.2.1 instituted some dumb single-point-of-failure method of determining link state that requires every single device to "phone home" whenever it goes online, fix that damn thing.

Man, I could spend an hour writing more of these.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-29-14 10:35 PM