I didnt' see any evidence that anyone's posted about this article from "Cult of Android" from back in February 2014.

Entertaining to see, for once, other platform partisans admitting they pine after certain BB10 features.

Cult of Android - Five Features Android Should Steal From BlackBerry 10 | Cult of Android
    Elite1 and CDM76 like this.
    04-17-14 01:45 AM
    Cool article.

I hadn't even heard of Cult Of Android, let alone read this story. But I'm already a fan of this writer now. Good, fair review of BB10 and its top features.
    04-17-14 02:35 AM
    Personally I think BB10 is a much superior OS over Android or iOS!

The problem is most people don't buy their phone based solely on the OS. Marketing and positive Brand recognition seem to be the driving forces.

Marketing is easy, it just takes a lot of money.

POSITIVE Brand recognition...that take a complete package. Great hardware, stable OS, easy to use ECOSYSTEM, and TIME. It would also help if you had product in the locations that people normally buy your type of product.

Posted via CB10
    ibpluto, kbz1960, NinjaB and 2 others like this.
    04-17-14 06:03 AM
    Cool article.

I hadn't even heard of Cult Of Android, let alone read this story. But I'm already a fan of this writer now. Good, fair review of BB10 and its top features.
    Well written indeed!

Sent using my ? Z30
    04-17-14 06:19 AM
    His comment about apps is not accurate. We have igrann, we have whine. Also apps are not side loaded they are downloaded OTA, and installed. Putting amazon app store and getting all the apps he mentioned on the device is no more challenging then finding an app on BlackBerry World and downloading. An extra button tap is not complicated especially when it's as intuitive as breathing.

I find the article weirdly written, almost backhanded to be honest.....at least his review of the features he likes was well done.

CB10'n it via da Z...30
    04-17-14 06:42 AM
    His comment about apps is not accurate. We have igrann, we have whine. Also apps are not side loaded they are downloaded OTA, and installed. Putting amazon app store and getting all the apps he mentioned on the device is no more challenging then finding an app on BlackBerry World and downloading. An extra button tap is not complicated especially when it's as intuitive as breathing.

I find the article weirdly written, almost backhanded to be honest.....at least his review of the features he likes was well done.

CB10'n it via da Z...30
    No to install snap you first have to get it somewhere there than bbworld and then you have to turn on developer mode and then you have to download a chrome extension or whatever other way to get it n your phone then you have to enable install apps from other sources. How os that as easy as downloading an app and installing it from anywhere else? Yes after you have sideloaded snap then it's as easy.

Edit: not sure about the amazon store but it probably has to be sideloaded also and I've also read a lot apps there don't work.
    04-17-14 06:55 AM
    As ibpluto mentioned, you don't have to sideload Snap in order to download Android apps. There are sites like Amazon app store or 1mobile where you can download the app directly on your BB10's Web browser and install; from there you can download and install Android apps - everything can be done by only using the phone. Snap acts as a portal that gives you a more native experience to Google Play store that some prefer.

No to install snap you first have to get it somewhere there than bbworld and then you have to turn on developer mode and then you have to download a chrome extension or whatever other way to get it n your phone then you have to enable install apps from other sources. How os that as easy as downloading an app and installing it from anywhere else? Yes after you have sideloaded snap then it's as easy.

Edit: not sure about the amazon store but it probably has to be sideloaded also and I've also read a lot apps there don't work.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-17-14 07:01 AM
    Nice to know what features the Android OS is missing and the other OS's like iOS and Windows phone.

Curious what the responses would be in the comments of Android Central if they were to post this as an article, hehe.

? Posted via CB10 on my ? Z30
    04-17-14 07:23 AM
    The problem is how do you tell people about using Android Apps....

Technically it is a DEVELOPER ONLY TOOL that has been left unlock - it is not an official feature of BB10. And last fall BlackBerry for whatever reason did play around with locking the runtime - who's to say that won't happen again?

Never mind there are plenty of apps that don't work. Either because they require Goggle Services for validation, or because they use a database and need to download information each time they are ran. Some of those database apps can be made to work - with some technical skills.

Until BlackBerry make something official, I'd be very careful in trying to promote something that BlackBerry is being quite about. In two months we might magically be apart of the Android Alliance and have full Android/Google access. Or in two months BlackBerry gets a cease and dissed order and are forced to lock the runtime down for developer use only again. And we will all be back to installing certificates and converting our on BAR files every 30 Days again.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-17-14 07:24 AM

Technically it is a DEVELOPER ONLY TOOL that has been left unlock - it is not an official feature of BB10. And last fall BlackBerry for whatever reason did play around with locking the runtime - who's to say that won't happen again?
    Actually, it seemed to me like it was the other way around. The android runtime started out locked - except for early builds of new OS branches. People here just knew how to extract the unlocked runtimes and load them on OSs that still had locked runtimes.

Somewhere early in the development of 10.2.1, BlackBerry decided to leave the runtime unlocked. And that's where we've been ever since.

The reason is simple.

When BB10 started, BB thought that a lot more developers would at first port their apps and then develop native ones once BB10 hits it big. That never happened. BB now has to rely on Android app compatibility just to think of themselves as competitive at all.

It may not be optimal, but it's the hand they are left with.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 10:25 AM
    Boy imagine if phil was respectful to the other platforms like this guy and rene ritchie , and not the ignorant hater he always comes off as.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 11:27 AM

And there is the proof of all these people who insult but never use. Snap is sideload, which is not as convoluted as you have described, and amazon store is a Web link download, in and done. No sideload.

You just lost all credibility in posting on here with your lack of knowledge. Hopefully if you post the same way again people will be aware you have no idea and go to the next post. Sorry but ignorance like this is what hurts these forums.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 11:36 AM

Never mind there are plenty of apps that don't work. Either because they require Goggle Services for validation, or because they use a database and need to download information each time they are ran. Some of those database apps can be made to work - with some technical skills.

Until BlackBerry make something official, I'd be very careful in trying to promote something that BlackBerry is being quite about. In two months we might magically be apart of the Android Alliance and have full Android/Google access. Or in two months BlackBerry gets a cease and dissed order and are forced to lock the runtime down for developer use only again. And we will all be back to installing certificates and converting our on BAR files every 30 Days again.
    Can't cease and desist on an open source code. Android is built off of this.

Posted via CB10
    Nharzhool likes this.
    04-17-14 11:38 AM
    Actually, it seemed to me like it was the other way around. The android runtime started out locked - except for early builds of new OS branches. People here just knew how to extract the unlocked runtimes and load them on OSs that still had locked runtimes.

Somewhere early in the development of 10.2.1, BlackBerry decided to leave the runtime unlocked. And that's where we've been ever since.

The reason is simple.

When BB10 started, BB thought that a lot more developers would at first port their apps and then develop native ones once BB10 hits it big. That never happened. BB now has to rely on Android app compatibility just to think of themselves as competitive at all.

It may not be optimal, but it's the hand they are left with.

Posted via CB10
    On my Verizon phone, there never was an official version of the OS that had a locked Android Runtime - from launch to today. Wasn't until late summer/ early fall that we got some leaks that were locked.

There was "talk" that BlackBerry was planning to lock down the developer tool that allowed sideloading to cut-down on the complaints from developers who where taking the time to port their Android apps... only to find that most users had already download a version from the web and loaded it. I think BlackBerry decided that they could do without those few minor Android Developers and changed direction and went full Android Support (or as much as they legally could).

I don't expect BlackBerry to want to lock it again.... I'm just not sure of the legality of what they have allowed to be done or what they might be working towards.
    04-17-14 11:39 AM
    And there is the proof of all these people who insult but never use. Snap is sideload, which is not as convoluted as you have described, and amazon store is a Web link download, in and done. No sideload.

You just lost all credibility in posting on here with your lack of knowledge. Hopefully if you post the same way again people will be aware you have no idea and go to the next post. Sorry but ignorance like this is what hurts these forums.

Posted via CB10
    Whatever. I have snap on my Z30 and I had to sideload it and yes it took that many steps! I never bothered with Amazon per reports here very few apps work or maybe I would know it doesn't need to be sideloaded. And I could care less if you or anyone else find me credible.
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    04-17-14 11:42 AM

Until BlackBerry make something official, I'd be very careful in trying to promote something that BlackBerry is being quite about. In two months we might magically be apart of the Android Alliance and have full Android/Google access.
    Being in the Open Handset Alliance and getting Google Play apps are two linked but separate things - There will never be an agreement for Google Play to be on BB10 - never - there is no way they can making the licensing conditions and no reason for google to change them.
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-17-14 11:43 AM
    Being in the Open Handset Alliance and getting Google Play apps are two linked but separate things - There will never be an agreement for Google Play to be on BB10 - never - there is no way they can making the licensing conditions and no reason for google to change them.

I agree about 95%.
    04-17-14 03:19 PM

You have no idea what you are talking about re: installing Snap.

How about:

1. Download Sachesi (one single file)
    2. Download Snap (one single file)
    3. Plug phone into computer USB port
    4. Click on Sachesi (Developer mode NOT required)
    5. Click install tab
    6. Drag Snap file to install window
    7. Done

And if you can't handle that, someone wrote a script that you can download and do it all in a single step. (Assuming you have Java installed)

http://forums.crackberry.com/android...taller-902493/
    mkelley65 likes this.
    04-17-14 03:21 PM
    Article was OK. As a Galaxy S5 user, here are my thoughts on his list:

1) Hub - I found that when I had a universal inbox (on BBOS and BB10), it got too cluttered (somewhat mitigated by pinch to filter). I like Android's notification pull down menu since I can quickly get a relevant overview of relevant notifications (e.g., emails with sender and subject lines, text message content, etc.) and then go into their separate areas depending on what needs a further look.

2) Keyboard - I agree that the BB10 keyboard is one of the best on-screen keyboards around. I use Swiftkey on my S5 which comes close but I'd give a slight edge to BB10 since that KB feels a little more responsive.

3) Universal search - This has been implemented in the S5's "S-Finder" feature and works pretty well.

4) Blackberry balance - The work/home distinction doesn't really matter to me since I'm on call at home anyway. Even if it did, I don't think its hard to set a separate homepage or folder devoted to work apps/calendar widgets etc.

5) Time Shift - This feature has been incorporated already into Android phones.
    04-17-14 05:05 PM
    You have no idea what you are talking about re: installing Snap.

How about:

1. Download Sachesi (one single file)
    2. Download Snap (one single file)
    3. Plug phone into computer USB port
    4. Click on Sachesi (Developer mode NOT required)
    5. Click install tab
    6. Drag Snap file to install window
    7. Done

And if you can't handle that, someone wrote a script that you can download and do it all in a single step. (Assuming you have Java installed)

http://forums.crackberry.com/android...taller-902493/
    Well that is the instructions I found and followed. Can't help it you used another.
    04-17-14 05:22 PM
    I've been running vanilla Android for a long time now, and always use the SwiftKey keyboard. But then too I also paid 99cents for it, and don't know if any OEMs prepackage the keyboard... but the keyboard points aren't entirely accurate. The keyboard word flick is nice, which is a nice addition, but the heatmapping and subsequent learning based on it, is nothing new.

Sent from my T100TA using Tapatalk
    04-17-14 05:45 PM
    That is what Android does
    04-17-14 05:49 PM
    Temper temper control it boys
    04-17-14 05:57 PM
    Using my mother as a case study, she will never, ever, ever do this. It's too much effort. It's too technical if you are't a technical person. And she worries about security. As far as she's concerned, apps come from BlackBerry World. And there are apps that aren't in there that she wants, like Netflix.

Old coworkers with the Z10 had the same comment
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-18-14 06:44 AM
    Well, I'll give the author of the article some credit for highlighting the things that he likes about BB10 instead of totally dismissing the platform as others have done.

There are some places where I disagree. What he said about apps, I feel would be accurate prior to 10.2.1, but with 10.2.1 you now have the ability to directly install Android apps in its native format. As opposed to side-loading.

The other thing is that we have some good third-party alternatives to the big named apps that were missing -
    IGrann/BlackGram for Instagram
    Whine for Vine.

Overall I did like what the author said about the hub, the predictive keyboard, Blackberry balance and timeshift.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    04-18-14 07:05 AM
39 12