BlackBerry and NatHealth to Jointly Develop New Smartphone - N4BB

That certainly came out of left field. I'm wondering why this is apparently necessary.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 01:44 PM
    When you have nothing to lose you just start swing at anything.....
    04-15-14 01:55 PM
    Nope, when you accurately identify internal strengths and weaknesses against environmental opportunities and threats you start only swinging at pitches you can hit

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 02:35 PM
    Actually is an old field of customers that BlackBerry left when the PB flopped. Remember the med programs they demo'd but never arrived?

BlackBerry needs to regain that area of the market.

This may not be the only business BlackBerry invests in.

Posted via Verizon Z10 - OS v10.1.2.2174
    04-15-14 02:48 PM
    This may be cause for a new tablet. Also for med people, some new apps may come if this takes off soon. The medical industry is rapidly growing, now we see if this company does well.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 02:52 PM
    When you have nothing to lose you just start swing at anything.....
    or... when the current direction isnt working you try something else

why does everything BB does have to be negative?

if they try to save money by going to foxconn ppl ream them, but if they lose money by making devices themselves... people ream them.

they are losing customers, and revenue, so people ream them... they get into one of the biggest industries in the world, they get reamed.

grover5 likes this.
    04-15-14 02:53 PM
    I am wondering what THIS mean

"The two companies are now working together to develop a new smartphone tailored to the needs of the healthcare sector. The device is likely to get launched late in 2014 or early in 2015, said Jim Mackey, BlackBerry's head of corporate development and strategic planning, in an interview.

"We do plan to make the device available for all, but it will be optimized for viewing 3D images and CT scans," said Mackey, adding that the device will also be usable as a regular smartphone, allowing users to view movies, play games or access consumer applications.

He said the deal with NantHealth exemplifies BlackBerry's focus on the regulated industries such as healthcare."

The quote is from Reuters UK
    High definition screen? Some other 3D capabilities? Mr. Mackey talks about a launch late 2013 or early 2015. Is he referring to the Classic? Or Q30? or a not yet announced but rumored Zsomething?

I am pretty excited to see all this movement. They are surely playing ALL the cards that they have.. and hopefully BlackBerry will be again relevant not only as phone producer but also as mostly secure services provider!
    04-15-14 02:53 PM
    The real question is where will the apps come from?

The are a number of companies building apps for the iPad (and most likely the iPhone too) that are designed for the needs of physicians and meet the requirements of HIPAA. They are in place now and are being used now. But these are specialized apps that are pretty expensive to license, will these developer suddenly look at BlackBerry and decide that while they have snubbed Android that BlackBerry is a more lucrative platform?

I think it is a great Industry for BlackBerry, especially with all of the security and privacy issues involved. It's just that a device alone is not going to make much of a difference.
    richardat likes this.
    04-15-14 03:12 PM

The are a number of companies building apps for the iPad (and most likely the iPhone too) that are designed for the needs of physicians and meet the requirements of HIPAA. They are in place now and are being used now. But these are specialized apps that are pretty expensive to license, will these developer suddenly look at BlackBerry and decide that while they have snubbed Android that BlackBerry is a more lucrative platform?

I think it is a great Industry for BlackBerry, especially with all of the security and privacy issues involved. It's just that a device alone is not going to make much of a difference.
    That is a really interesting question...

I see in the forum several MDs complaining about the lack of apps on BB10, apps that they are running all the time on iOS or Android.

Secure hardware without app would not make a great success.. I do agree

But what if BlackBerry together with other companies is able to develop those innovative apps? What if BlackBerry partnerships with an already existing healthcare company that begins to rely immediately on BlackBerry hardware and QNX/BB10 software? Well Nanthealth, even if it is a relative small player, does exactly that: they create new software and algorithms for sharing medically relevant info...

BlackBerry failed when they tried to introduce the PlayBook in the medical field because they were alone and without a real support. They did not have the focus and the budget to target that sector. Now they may have a better chance.. the key word here is COLLABORATION.
    HUNTZODIAC likes this.
    04-15-14 03:30 PM
    This kind of reminds me about how, when the HP TouchPad was floundering, there was some press about how the Touchpad was perfect for medical uses because it didn't have a metal case and could be used near an MRI. It was a nice story and got lots of press but ultimately went nowhere because 99.5% of health care users never go near an MRI machine.

HP TouchPad Enables Doctors to Control MRI Scanners

Apps for medical tablet users are currently written for iOS and Android. There would have to be a pretty compelling reason for someone to also port them and maintain them for BB10. We're literally talking about thousands of niche apps. These aren't software companies for the most part. These are medical device and medical provider companies that paid $100K to get their app developed for each platform.
    04-15-14 04:20 PM
    Not to mention that it is an area that Apple at least seems quite serious about. I don't know about any specific Android vendors but you can bet Microsoft is also gearing up for this market. A specialized phone is the least of concerns without BBRY having the support system to actually compete. Same argument would go for any putative tablet (which would make a lot more sense for looking at scans than a phone would)
    Zidentia likes this.
    04-15-14 05:57 PM
    Nope, when you accurately identify internal strengths and weaknesses against environmental opportunities and threats you start only swinging at pitches you can hit

Posted via CB10

Yeah, another blind fan... Look for Kodak case
    04-15-14 06:08 PM
    Yeah, another blind fan... Look for Kodak case
    Basic business theory.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 06:45 PM
    Basic business theory.

Posted via CB10
    When did BlackBerry start following even basic business theory....

For that matter announcing something that is most likely a year from production is not a very smart move. What will Apple do in the next year to lock down their dominance in this field?

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and richardat like this.
    04-15-14 07:56 PM

For that matter announcing something that is most likely a year from production is not a very smart move. What will Apple do in the next year to lock down their dominance in this field?

Posted via CB10
    Since chen...

Posted via CB10
    dusdal likes this.
    04-15-14 08:00 PM

Posted via CB10
    I doubt that JC showed his hand too soon. I believe this has been in the works for awhile, and just recently announced; you just don't pull the Q30/Windermere out of a hat yesterday. There are already cases for the phone; I would expect the phone to be released very soon.
    04-15-14 08:17 PM
    I hope they make it exclusive looking.
    Kind of like Porche design.
    In my experience doctors really care about their look.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-14 06:26 AM
    Not to mention that it is an area that Apple at least seems quite serious about. I don't know about any specific Android vendors but you can bet Microsoft is also gearing up for this market. A specialized phone is the least of concerns without BBRY having the support system to actually compete. Same argument would go for any putative tablet (which would make a lot more sense for looking at scans than a phone would)
    "Putative"? Is this Russian?

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    FSeverino and TGR1 like this.
    04-16-14 07:08 AM
    This is one of the smartest moves they have made. The company develops the apps and provides the infrastructure. BlackBerry provides hardware and a secure cloud along with compressions.

04-16-14 07:10 AM
    Why is this an issue when Blackberry is getting help going into the healthcare space?

Blackberry has the security and productivity that they need. They are missing the apps.

Nanthealth can help get thoses apps on BlackBerry 10

I think this is one of the best plans, it will be hard to beat Apple because of the iPad. But definitely worth a shot to one of the biggest markets.

http://mobihealthnews.com/24267/ten-...n-2013-so-far/
    http://mobihealthnews.com/19973/soon...es-31-million/

Posted via CB10
    04-16-14 10:15 AM
    It must be the windermere. That is so clearly not a consumer phone.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-14 01:12 PM
    Looks like Blackberry and NantHealth owner go way back. A Smartphone For The Healthcare Industry?-thorsten-heins-patrick-soon-shiong-phoenix-ezho6zjxhxhx.jpg
    schmeat and HUNTZODIAC like this.
    04-16-14 02:17 PM
    As someone in the medical tablet business, I clearly see a move away from Windows CE toward Android. Would be nice to have a QNX solution. Note that medical use can mean displaying records, displaying diagnostic data (reading blood pressure), or actually controlling therapy (turning on a defibrilator or laser). The second and third case obviously require higher reliability. I suppose some current uses of tablets could be moved to phones, if the FDA approved. I am aware of one medical therapy product using an iPod. If BB came out with a USB port that would allow phone charging even when in OTG host mode, they would have an immediate advantage.
    Reed Richards likes this.
    04-16-14 03:04 PM

Yes the medical field is pretty saturated with iOS at this point. IPad has been a tool for nurses and physicians since well before bbry launched their "tools not toys" (lol) campaign.

04-20-14 01:34 AM
    or... when the current direction isnt working you try something else

why does everything BB does have to be negative?
    Too bad for you, the jury is in. Those who were "negative" were absolutely 100% correct - their detractors - completely wrong. So instead of complaining about them, if you were being fair and honest, you've give them credit, and call them astute and realistic.
    04-20-14 07:52 AM
33 12