In one short word, no. I was whisking through the comments and quite a few people raised the issue with price. That os7 continues to outsell BlackBerry 10 because its so much damm cheaper. And you know what? I think they are right, but not for the reasons they think.

The counter argument to my claim would be that Samsung and iPhones cost from anywhere from 500 upwards to a thousand. They seem to be doing just fine for themselves. The steep price doesnt seem to have any effect on their sales.

Here comes the fancy economic term: it's all about the elasticity of demand. In other words, how will price effect the quantity demanded for the product. The demand for iPhones are virtually inelastic (meaning price does not affect the demand). Hence, they can charge premium prices. Do u see the iPhone 5c outselling the iPhone 5?

So what about BlackBerry? The fact that os7 continues to outsell BlackBerry 10 is good indicator that the demand is quite elastic. Consumers respond to the lower prices. Theres nothing wrong with elastic demand but it becomes a problem when BlackBerry doesnt recognize this. The worries me because the new phone the "classic" will be wait for it....another premium device that noone is going to buy because itts going to be expensive.

With all that said, ofc not all of it has to do with price but its quite frustrating to see that BlackBerry is moving backwards. Its quite stupid if you ask me.

/end rant

Posted via CB10
    04-14-14 06:49 AM
    It's not so much the price of the device at all. It's the cheap data plans that you can get with a legacy device, which is one reason why they are so popular in emerging markets.
    04-14-14 07:04 AM
    You are forgetting the part where the legacy devices are sold in emerging markets. Not in the U.S. because you are even hard pressed to find a BB0S7 phone somewhere.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    04-14-14 07:19 AM
    You are forgetting the part where the legacy devices are sold in emerging markets. Not in the U.S. because you are even hard pressed to find a BB0S7 phone somewhere.

EXACTLY!!!!! The emerging markets are where the REAL numbers are and why the OS7 devices are outselling BB10 products. And don't forget, in the less developed parts of the world a smartphone still is a luxury item to them just as it is to us. It's just that their buying power is much much less than ours hence a $1000 smartphone sitting on shelves here and $99 promo phones flying off the shelves. Its all what the specific market can support...Here or in Indonesia, $1000 is still $1000!!!
    04-14-14 07:33 AM
    It's not all about the price. Even a lot of BlackBerry users aren't aware that BB10 even exist...

Posted via CB10
    04-14-14 11:41 AM
    It's not all about the price. Even a lot of BlackBerry users aren't aware that BB10 even exist...

Posted via CB10
    A lot of smartphone users period don't know about it.

04-14-14 11:47 AM