Hi gang,

BRON 2.0 is out. It's now fully headless!

BRON - BlackBerry World

more background here: http://forums.crackberry.com/app-ann...y-10-a-881522/

web site: BlackBerry 10 Apps | by Odd Element

Thanks!

J
    04-10-14 02:49 PM
    Hey, thanks for this! As someone who likes and uses chron, I am looking forward to installing and having some nerdy fun .
    04-10-14 03:09 PM
    Interesting app!!

Posted via Black ZeD on 10.2.1.1925
    04-10-14 04:43 PM
    Hi,

It would be nice if we could schedule profile switching (eg: simulate do not disturb, select normal profile from: 9-23 and from 23-9 silent profile)

Thanks and good luck!

Posted via CB10
    04-10-14 04:56 PM
    actually, you CAN chance the profile. there's a directive (aka script) called "set-profile". just set up a schedule like this:

# set to Normal profile at 08:00 AM, and set to Phone Only at 18:00 (6:00 PM)
    0 8 * *:set-profile normal:Set Profile Normal
    0 18 * *:set-profile phoneonly:Set Profile Phone Only
    04-11-14 09:16 AM
    Oh, I missed it. Thank you oddboy!

Posted via CB10
    04-11-14 12:44 PM
    It doesn't work. Also in the upcoming tasks I get undesired tasks from past.

Here's my scheduling text:
    Code:
    # min hour day month : <command> : <label>
    # to enable a task, remove the #
    # to disable a task, add a # at the beginning of thez line
    #0 3 */2 *:check-flash-usage:Check Flash 
    #15 4 */2 *:backup-documents:Backup Documents
    #30 4 */2 *:backup-downloads:Backup Downloads
    #45 4 */2 *:backup-photos:Backup Photos
    #0 8-23 * *:playsound ding-dong.mp3:Hourly Chime
    #15 8-20 * *:playsound one-ding.mp3:15 Minute Mark
    #30 8-20 * *:playsound two-dings.mp3:30 Minute Mark
    #45 8-20 * *:playsound three-dings.mp3:45 Minute Mark
    #0 0 * *:bluetooth off:turn bluetooth off
    #0 8 * *:bluetooth on:turn bluetooth 
    0 9 * *:set-profile normal:set profile to normal
    0 23 * *:set-profile silent:set profile to silent

BRON 2.0 is out!  (BRON: a cron-like scheduler for Blackberry 10)-img_20140411_232447.png

Posted via CB10
    04-11-14 03:25 PM
    well that is weird! i've never seen that before.

can you close the main app, and also kill the headless app? swipe down from the top of the screen, Settings, App Manager, Device Manager, go to the CPU tab and find BRON. tap on it and then press the Close button at the bottom.

then launch it again. see what happens.
    Sergiu1337 and justdotdotdot like this.
    04-11-14 05:20 PM
    I've closed the process and relaunched and all works perfectly.

Thank you, very handy app!

Posted via CB10
    04-12-14 01:19 AM
    For those who are writing scripts to use with Bron, a kindly developer on the BlackBerry dev support forums compiled a command line version of wget that runs on BlackBerry 10/QNX.

It can be used in scripts. Pretty handy.

https://gist.github.com/Paxa/8916618

BRON: a cron-like scheduler for BlackBerry 10. http://apps.oddelement.com
    04-13-14 09:10 AM
    Awesome. I'm going to try it out. Thanks.

? CB10 ?
    04-13-14 09:54 AM
    Here's another tip.. if you're logged into box, Dropbox or one drive, or even a personal computer via link, you can copy files off your device to your cloud service from a shell script. Those cloud services get mounted into the file system and can be accessed from the command line just as easily as the flash storage or media card.

Sergiu1337 and justdotdotdot like this.
    04-13-14 10:05 AM
    Oddboy, you should make a frontend for regular users. It seems most of users omit this app because of the UI and lack of documentation (regarding cron).

Eg, you can implement a dialog where you can initially select the script (named action), set the date with a date picker, put a check box for recurrence and so on. For the next command you can use a big, visible, '+' button.
    By clicking the overflow menu you can jump to Advanced mode which is the actual Scheduling section.

I really enjoy your app and see the potential, using it for days and it is reliable. But you need to improve UX (user experience).

Cheers!

Posted via CB10
    04-19-14 02:57 AM
    Sergui1337, thanks for the tip. I have considered it, but haven't implemented it yet. I may look at doing that soon. UIs for this type of scheduling are not easy to do well. They get complicated whereas the simple cron-like syntax is very flexible.

But, message heard, I'll take another look... after I get the documentation up to date.
    04-19-14 07:59 AM
    For those who are writing scripts to use with Bron, a kindly developer on the BlackBerry dev support forums compiled a command line version of wget that runs on BlackBerry 10/QNX.

It can be used in scripts. Pretty handy.

https://gist.github.com/Paxa/8916618

I spent hours looking thru the /bin folder for something that would work like wget. How do I install this?

Posted via CB10
    04-19-14 08:44 AM
    oddboy no problem.
    They get complicated whereas the simple cron-like syntax is very flexible.
    That's why Advanced mode will be available! Make it simple basic (eg: on specific date or a recurred task) for regular users and give more options for others.
    04-19-14 08:53 AM
    From bbssh I cannot chmod to rwx... so I seem to be unable to setup wget. maybe I'm lacking some basic Unix knowhow here.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-14 09:00 AM
    To install and use wget, I used momentics ide, which means all these steps are done as the dev user.

Copy the wget binary to the device. I put it in misc/bron/scripts.
    Ssh to the device and set permissions.

cd misc/bron/scripts; chmod +x wget

The key is to copy the file and set permissions as the dev user. If you use a different app, you may not be able to change the permissions. Each app is installed as a unique user, so copying the file as one user and changing permissions as another doesn't work.

I may include wget in future releases.

Here's a tutorial on how to ssh to the device.

SSH to the Blackberry Z10 (BB10) Guide � PocketMagic
    04-19-14 09:13 AM
    I'm not all too familiar with Cron Scheduling, but I'm loving the app.

So far just using the built in scripts because, as mentioned, not all too familiar with how to write my own. Wondering quickly:

a) What would the Script look like for turning Location on/off. I'm liking the scheduling for bluetooth, and could see that being handy too.

b) Is it possible to schedule a certain app to run and to exit? IE, if I want my weather app opened first thing in the morning so I can glance at it and then for it to shut down while I get ready for work (30 minutes after opening). If that is possible, what would the scripting entail?

Appreciate any advice on using this cool app.
    04-19-14 10:03 AM
    I'll look into turning location on and off, that sounds interesting. I don't know if there's a way to launch an app. Right now, each app is isolated from others and it's pretty locked down by BlackBerry. I'll see if I can find a way.

The special commands are ones that I've written interfaces to, so by running a script that does a certain thing, I can make things happen on the device, like turning bluetooth on or off... what the script does is echo "on" or "off" to a special file that bron watches. when the file changes, bron reads it and sets the bluetooth on or off depending on what you echo to the file.

The special commands are:

bluetooth on/off
    set-profile normal, silent, phoneonly, vibrate, allalertsoff
    wifi on/off
    playsound <name of sound file>

I also included some rudimentary backup scripts that copy files from one place to another, like from internal storage to Box, to Dropbox to SD card for example. There's also a script there that will check how much free space remains on the internal flash and alert you in the hub at a user configurable threshold.

Open to more ideas and suggestions.

Things I am considering:

-Turn location on/off
    -Use bps events to create state files so a script can determine the state of battery, wifi, bluetooth, storage (is an SD card inserted?). This would allow you to, say, backup your SD card to your PC but only when wifi is on and connected to your home network.
    -Add a Day of Week field to the time spec so you can, say, turn bluetooth on every day at 09:00, but only on monday-friday.
    -add a simpler Ui for less technical users
    -trigger a backup of pim data (Contacts, calendars, messages, etx) so you can dump a backup at a scheduled time to SD or cloud storage.

Open to ideas too!
    Sergiu1337 likes this.
    04-19-14 10:44 AM
    Maybe scheduled restart (also check if idle or not, so it wouldn't trigger a restart if you're using the phone)?
    04-19-14 11:07 AM
    I'll look into turning location on and off, that sounds interesting. I don't know if there's a way to launch an app. Right now, each app is isolated from others and it's pretty locked down by BlackBerry. I'll see if I can find a way.

The special commands are ones that I've written interfaces to, so by running a script that does a certain thing, I can make things happen on the device, like turning bluetooth on or off... what the script does is echo "on" or "off" to a special file that bron watches. when the file changes, bron reads it and sets the bluetooth on or off depending on what you echo to the file.

The special commands are:

bluetooth on/off
    set-profile normal, silent, phoneonly, vibrate, allalertsoff
    wifi on/off
    playsound <name of sound file>

I also included some rudimentary backup scripts that copy files from one place to another, like from internal storage to Box, to Dropbox to SD card for example. There's also a script there that will check how much free space remains on the internal flash and alert you in the hub at a user configurable threshold.

Open to more ideas and suggestions.

Things I am considering:

-Turn location on/off
    -Use bps events to create state files so a script can determine the state of battery, wifi, bluetooth, storage (is an SD card inserted?). This would allow you to, say, backup your SD card to your PC but only when wifi is on and connected to your home network.
    -Add a Day of Week field to the time spec so you can, say, turn bluetooth on every day at 09:00, but only on monday-friday.
    -add a simpler Ui for less technical users
    -trigger a backup of pim data (Contacts, calendars, messages, etx) so you can dump a backup at a scheduled time to SD or cloud storage.

Open to ideas too!
    That's all sounding awesome! I think it would be worthwhile to do the location on/off & the day of the week option. I'd find that beneficial to switch profiles to silent for work hours (where I wouldn't need that scheduled on Saturday/Sunday).

If at all possible, finding a way to start up another app would be cool.

Maybe scheduled restart (also check if idle or not, so it wouldn't trigger a restart if you're using the phone)?
    I'd agree there, that would be a nice option, if possible.
    04-19-14 03:07 PM
    Would XML starlet work for parsing the data returned by wget using xpath? Is there an easy alternative to find certain text within the html from wget?

http://xmlstar.sourceforge.net/

Posted via CB10
    04-19-14 03:10 PM
    I was looking to create an app that would automatically open apps during specific times. Make it happen!

Posted via CB10
    04-28-14 02:47 PM
    I was looking to create an app that would automatically open apps during specific times. Make it happen!

Are you specially commissioned by The Queen to give out the orders here?
    04-29-14 11:54 PM
66 123