I traveled internationally before with my Torch, but I'll be going to Japan in July for work for at least one year, and I'm not going without my Z10.

I'm sporting a factory unlocked STL100-3 (straight from BlackBerry), 10.2.1.2102 (software), and 10.2.1.2141 (OS & Radio).

I'll have a resident card, but I also have numerous friends there who can help me get anything I need (since Japanese carriers have pretty strict rules about foreign devices and individuals). What's the best option for me? I'm most interested in data for BBM and emails, but voice would be nice, too.

I'd appreciate any help you all can give me!

Posted via CB10
    04-09-14 11:35 PM
    rent wifi portable. that's the cheapest one. but u have to order it before u arrive in japan...scratch that, i thought u're on holiday....so either buy wifi portable or get a SIM card, i think u can get it easily there
    04-10-14 03:16 AM
    Do you have any experience using SIM cards in Japan? I guess Docomo would be my best option.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-14 05:56 PM
    I don't think that Japanese carriers are as strict as you're saying. But when I was there last year I noticed that many people had moved on to androids and iphones. You can buy just a sim card with data, as the new Blackberries don't require BIS to work anymore. I would recommend checking out Big Camera as they have a great huge mobile phone service section.
    04-10-14 09:22 PM
    Thanks, man! I'll contact my friends there and ask them about it.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-14 12:05 AM
    Do you have any experience using SIM cards in Japan? I guess Docomo would be my best option.

Posted via CB10
    Everytime I went to Japan always for 2 weeks trip. Too much hassle to get SIM card. But yeah....if u living there for a year, it so easy to get one. as for docomo I remember u have to have docomo phone because they're not using GSM based. I might be wrong tho
    04-11-14 12:11 AM
    Oh yes, Cloudberry brought up a food point I had forgotten. A lot of Japanese cell phone companies have their own cell network type which is incompatible with networks around the world. I'm not sure what the state of the cell phone networks are now but I would check out any provider with an iPhone as it's a safe bet we can use the network. I think there is another provider called Soft Bank which has 4G but you'll have to find out what frequency.
    04-11-14 07:02 AM
    Who is your normal carrier?

Posted via CB10
    04-11-14 02:01 PM
    Right now I'm with AT&T.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-14 09:23 PM
    I'm running docomo here. I'm actually on a Verizon Z30 and it works great. Only get 3G though because it's a Verizon phone. But your -3 Z10 should be able to pick up LTE if I'm not mistaken.

You can find a list of carriers in Japan here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks and then see what carrier supports your phone frequencies and lte bands.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-14 09:44 PM
    Thanks, man! Is it just a matter of going to a store to get one?

Posted via CB10
    04-12-14 12:28 AM
    Right now I'm with AT&T.

Posted via CB10
    Have you considered switching to T-Mobile? I had great service there and went as far south as Naha, and far North as Okinawa. Plus with the new plans you get unlimited international data and you would keep your phone number. Just a thought and something you might want to consider.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-14 06:10 AM
    Yes thats rights... Im using my bb z10 3g model with my docomo carrier. Voice and data.
    07-29-14 01:11 AM
    Yes thats rights... Im using my bb z10 3g model with my docomo carrier. Voice and data.
    I did the same thing, oli! I came over with a bunch of other English teachers. We were talking phones, and I mentioned how I have an unlocked BlackBerry Z30 for which I'll get a SIM card (a Japanese friend of mine confirmed it would be possible). They were saying it's not possible unless you buy the phone from the carrier, but I stuck to my guns and now I'm probably one of the few people in the country (and definitely the only one in my city) rocking a BlackBerry! =P

Posted via CB10
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    08-02-14 06:23 AM
    I did the same thing, oli! I came over with a bunch of other English teachers. We were talking phones, and I mentioned how I have an unlocked BlackBerry Z30 for which I'll get a SIM card (a Japanese friend of mine confirmed it would be possible). They were saying it's not possible unless you buy the phone from the carrier, but I stuck to my guns and now I'm probably one of the few people in the country (and definitely the only one in my city) rocking a BlackBerry! =P

Posted via CB10
    Glad there is someone who is using a Z30 in Japan!
    I'm going there next week with my Z30 and wanted to get a data sim for 2 weeks holiday.
    Found this firm on the internet that offers sim for rental: Best Rate Rental SIM Card in Japan:: Global Advanced Communications
    Best Rate Rental SIM Card in Japan:: Global Advanced Communications

If you scroll down, you see they say Galaxy S5 doesn't work. Is it because these sims are 3G sims and Galaxy is 4G? And does BB Z30 also require 4G sim?

Appreciate any help from the Japan BB experts!!
    08-31-14 06:37 AM
    Hmm, I can't tell you whether or not it requires a 4G SIM, but the SIM card I got is capable of both. I guess the Z30 doesn't work on the associated frequencies for anything other than 3G, but I'm sure someone with more knowledge about that can clarify for you.

Initially I had trouble getting a data connection, so the Docomo employee who helped me connected me to Mopera. Keep that in mind as you're activating it and you maybe don't get a data connection. If anything else comes to mind, I'll be sure to post it here ASAP.

Also, do yourself a favor and load up the apk of Hyperdia! It's an English-language app for finding the best train routes. Just search departing station to arrival station. My iPhone-using friends claim it's only a free trial, but I don't see any restrictions whatsoever with the Android apk that I loaded.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-14 01:22 AM
    Enjoy your time in Japan! Nihongo dekimasu ka?

" I do not think that word means what you think it means. "
    09-03-14 05:52 PM
    I'm in Japan now already for a few days. Thanks for your tips and tricks! In the end I figured my carrier offers unlimited data roaming on a Japanese network for $10 a day so I went with that, easier than switching numbers in any case...

BBM works perfectly and connection is H+ most of the time.

Google maps has been an incredibly awesome tool for navigating the city and also subway connections.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-14 12:34 AM
    Glad you're enjoying your trip! Japan is an awesome country. Whereabouts are you exactly?

Posted via CB10
    09-15-14 08:41 AM
    Is your z10 a GSM unlocked phone?

Posted via CB10
    12-04-14 11:47 AM
    Recently getting SIM card for short visit in Japan is getting easier if you're just looking for data only.
    If you have unlocked device & don't want to carry 2nd device, I recommend checking below site.
    http://www.so-net.ne.jp/prepaid/en/index.html

Cheaper & more flexible option is renting WiFi device.
    http://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/pocketwifi.html
    http://www.rakuten.ne.jp/gold/mobile-gate/index.html
    (This site is Japanese only unfortunately. )

Actually I haven't tried SIM option yet. But WiFi worked great! I used BBM & Line for call & video. If they didn't have neither apps, I used Fongo for call.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-14 09:21 PM
    Have you considered switching to T-Mobile? I had great service there and went as far south as Naha, and far North as Okinawa. Plus with the new plans you get unlimited international data and you would keep your phone number. Just a thought and something you might want to consider.

Posted via CB10
    Not to mention, if you're using a 100-3 Z10, you can also get wifi-calling. Have not been to Japan since getting my Z10, but everywhere I travel I leave my T-Mo sim in (even though my phone is unlocked, never used another sim) and use their excellent rates, plus wifi-calling.
    12-14-14 03:05 AM
    What is the model number of your Z30? I'm about to buy the STA100-5 to use in Japan on Docomo. I hope it works.
    05-01-15 03:01 PM
    I have an STA 100-5 and it works fine in Japan on Docomo's network.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-15 01:11 AM
    Perfect. Just got mine in a few weeks ago. Can't wait to test it out in August.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-15 12:10 AM
29 12