My PB is 18 months old and since the weekend I can't charge it? The plug just won't go in, can't see that the pins are bent or anything, I'm gutted as it's dead now! Even tried a different charger? Both chargers work with the z10 ok.
    Any ideas, I miss my PB.
    Thanks

Posted via my splendid Z10
    04-08-14 02:57 PM
    Try doing what we call a stack charge, keep the end the goes in the the electricity plugged in, but take the other end, and when you plug it in to the USB slot does the charge light come on briefly? If so it's getting a very small charge, wait for the light to go out as it quickly does, then unplug the cord from the USB slot and then plug it back in, the light comes on again, and again its getting a small charge. Do this about 100 times, and this should get you up to enough juice to charge normally again.
    04-08-14 03:23 PM
    Didn't get a light will try again tomorrow

04-08-14 04:10 PM
    Ok maybe the USB port is broken? Next thing to try is the fast charging port which is going to involve buying a fast charge dock or cable, but it's unlikely both ports are broken. Of course it could be something else also.
    04-08-14 04:41 PM
    Ok maybe the USB port is broken? Next thing to try is the fast charging port which is going to involve buying a fast charge dock or cable, but it's unlikely both ports are broken. Of course it could be something else also.
    I thought that too.

Spaceman, try connecting to your PC if it won't detect it then the playbooks usb is broken. Only way to charge it would be to use a plabook dock or the magnetic rapid charger.
    04-08-14 05:13 PM
    OK cheers will try the laptop later if not will hit e bay for a dock!

04-09-14 01:16 AM
    USB port must be dead, have bid on a rapid charger and dock. Can't wait to get my PlayBook back

04-11-14 03:49 PM
    I had a similar problem last night. I plugged in a rapid charger with the magnetic connector plugged with about 60% charge. It kept going down during the night to 54% by morning. All programs not running. The indication on the battery showed a lightning bolt thru the battery which I thought was a charging symbol. This morning, I plugged in an old Motorola Charger that I used to charge a Blackberry phone using the USB port. It started charging showing an electrical plug in the battery icon. Later I switched to the car Moto charger cord(lightning bolt) and it continued to charge to almost charge up the PlayBook. I have a doc charger which uses the magnetic connection too and it shows the lightning bolt and charges fine. I'm suspecting that the rapid charger with the magnetic connection is defective even though I get the lightning bolt when connected. All other chargers seem to work using either the USB or magnetic connection.

Anyone else had a problem with the Magnetic connection and a rapid charger?
    04-12-14 08:33 PM
    I had a similar problem last night. I plugged in a rapid charger with the magnetic connector plugged with about 60% charge. It kept going down during the night to 54% by morning. All programs not running. The indication on the battery showed a lightning bolt thru the battery which I thought was a charging symbol. This morning, I plugged in an old Motorola Charger that I used to charge a Blackberry phone using the USB port. It started charging showing an electrical plug in the battery icon. Later I switched to the car Moto charger cord(lightning bolt) and it continued to charge to almost charge up the PlayBook. I have a doc charger which uses the magnetic connection too and it shows the lightning bolt and charges fine. I'm suspecting that the rapid charger with the magnetic connection is defective even though I get the lightning bolt when connected. All other chargers seem to work using either the USB or magnetic connection. <br />
    <br />
    Several threads on problems with the magnetic travel and dock chargers and the showing of false charging symbol. They generally have to do with not all three pins making contact Sometimes dirt but often because one of the pins is too low to make contact. Solution is generally cleaning and adjustment of pin height using a toothpick. With Battery Guru you can check and see if actual charging is occuring.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    04-12-14 08:58 PM
    I've experienced something similar with the rapid charger not charging, but I discovered the three pins on mine were damaged form having flinging the cord away after a charge. The end with pins would hit the ground lightly. it wasn't hard, but it was enough to push a pin in deeper than it should be.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-14 09:42 PM
    My problems is opposite the USB port not charging or showing a lightning bolt or light.
    Hopefully the rapid dock will do it.

04-13-14 03:58 AM
    My problems is opposite the USB port not charging or showing a lightning bolt or light.
    Hopefully the rapid dock will do it.

I bought a rapid charger a few days ago just because i don't always want to wait all night to charge the battery. The store told me most people buy them because the usb plug stops working.

I would have saved $10 buying on line not including s&h charges, but I decided i wanted the charger now, not next week. Plus i like supporting local businesses.
    04-13-14 07:54 AM
    Yep. In addition to what has been suggested about cleaning the connecting poles of oxides, and making sure the length of all the charger pins are right, so that all three make contact; the magnet can attract iron-rich dust, which may short-circuit the poles. Such dust can be cleaned out using sticky tape (you won't get it all in one go - just keep poking in clean stretches of tape, until it comes out again clean).
    04-13-14 08:13 AM
    Let us know if and when you get it sorted out!
    04-13-14 09:37 AM
    My PB is 18 months old and since the weekend I can't charge it? The plug just won't go in, can't see that the pins are bent or anything, I'm gutted as it's dead now! Even tried a different charger? Both chargers work with the z10 ok.
    Any ideas, I miss my PB.
    Thanks

You say the plug just won't go in? Could the plastic tab with the contacts be bent up?
    It's a common problem when the USB plug is inserted upside down. That plastic tab should be closer to the bottom or backside of the PlayBook. The plug should be inserted with the BlackBerry logo facing screen side.PB Not Charging? What Can I Do?-images.jpg
    04-13-14 08:08 PM
    Got myself the rapid, sick charging via the non yellow usb as it took forever and a day - even with a 1amp HTC usb plug was slower charging and my multimedia usage was burning oil.

in all honesty it was bad design to not ship with such rapid charger as standard instead of trying to make more money out a $500 tablet...all in it would have cost $800 dollars to get everything...and Blackberry tried to do that at a time the world was in a complete financial meltdown and prosumers let alone consumers were tighter than a virgin, more Blackberry management nonsense...to its own demise.

Let us know how it goes folks
    04-13-14 08:50 PM
    Got the rapid charger, working a treat!

04-16-14 03:35 PM