Hello CB, I bought my first BB device 2 weeks ago today. Now before I get into the screen issue let me say I LOVE this phone. Coming from a SG1(****) >Moto Atrix 4g (awesome phone)>Xperia T (awesome screen+camera but dead in 8 hours). I wont go into detail as you all know why this phone is so great.

HOWEVER. . .

Exactly one week after I bought it I was laying in bed reading the news and it seemed like I blinked and a crack had appeared from about half an inch above the HDMI port that goes on a about a 45* run to just right of the front camera lense. I took the phone to wireless wave where I bought it and they said there was nothing they could do to help me and suggested a repair place to me, which has horrible ratings for CS. I then took the phone over to bell and was told in other words that I had caused the damage and to go fly a kite in a thunder storm.

Crack #2 same starting point only goes vertical curves out and back into the top left corner. This one I SAW HAPPEN and heard it.
    This happened yesterday morning as I was, you guessed it reading the news in bed.

Ive contacted a few repair shops and they are waiting on screens to come in or would have to order one. Prices around $150-$200.
    At this point I'm contemplating ordering a screen and doing it myself, if anyone knows a good place to get one or if for some unknown (to me) reason its not a good idea suggestions are welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Z30 screen cracked while looking at it!-img_20140406_201433.jpg  
    Last edited by jordan smith9; 04-06-14 at 09:26 PM. Reason: added pic
    04-06-14 11:54 AM
    Stop reading the news man, you're killing her! You got one strong eye.

Seriously, this sounds pretty weird. Sounds like something pretty serious if it just cracks like that.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 12:25 PM
    It takes a really ugly person to crack a screen just by looking at it!!

Just kidding!!! Sorry to hear about the issue! You must have damaged it earlier.

Posted via CB10 from my Z30.
    vgorous, Atmarix, ibpluto and 3 others like this.
    04-06-14 12:37 PM
    One of the repair places I took it to didnt seem shocked that it had just cracked on its own, its not unheard of with a complicated manufacture process there will always be some defective units or to quote him directly " weak spot in the glass" I seem to have bad luck with glass as an asus transformer prime I bought my wife cracked while she was watching netflix, and no neither unit was dropped/damaged/hot/cold/whatever.
    04-06-14 12:50 PM
    Whatever you do Don't stand in front of a mirror. But with all seriousness try recording these cracks happening and maybe those shops won't be so harsh.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using CB Forums mobile app
    04-06-14 01:17 PM
    This is really the number one BlackBerry forum?
    anon8430100 likes this.
    04-06-14 01:32 PM
    This is really the number one BlackBerry forum?
    It's debatable but I would say it's in the top 5

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 01:35 PM
    You should see the number two forum. On a more serious note, have you tried seeing if BlackBerry themselves would at least look at it, even at a cost, to try to establish if it was caused by a manufacturing default, or if it was poorly made?

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    zowwie85 likes this.
    04-06-14 01:36 PM
    Jordan, check out etrade supply. I have ordered parts for both a Q10 and Z10 from there. I turned my back Z10 into a white Z10. Compared to an iPhone or Samsung, the BlackBerry is easy to repair.

Posted via CB10
    jordan smith9 likes this.
    04-06-14 01:47 PM
    jeez that's pretty random. Hope you find a good deal!
    04-06-14 04:39 PM
    If I were you I wouldn't continue using that particular device. Any phone of mine that does physical damage to itself is going on ebay or in the trash. Who knows what else it's capable of.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 07:03 PM
    Unfortunately it probably was just defective glass and temperature differentials arose on different parts of the screen after having actively used it for a bit. Sorry about your luck
    04-06-14 08:01 PM
    As stated it probably is just a defect. Could also have something to do with your case.

The pressure from the case may have caused the already weak glass to crack.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 10:25 PM
    Contact blackberry directly. You should have one year coverage by them... although it is a cracked screen. It was not by impact though so contacting them will not hurt.
    electraz10 and bmoney1229 like this.
    04-06-14 11:03 PM
    Cyclops, I told you not to read any news about Magneto on your phone.
    Look what happened..

Posted via Astro on Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.2947
    04-06-14 11:24 PM
    Screens are cheap on ebay, go get them over there and then go to the tutorial in the forums where it explains how to open the Z30. I can't look for the link right now since I'm on the CB app

From my White Z30
    04-06-14 11:58 PM
    BlackBerry Z30 LCD Screen and Digitizer Assembly - Black

Ive taken the Z30 completely apart and a screen swap is not difficult at all if you have some technical skills.

Check this thread for more details:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...photos-885271/

Good luck and Im really sorry about your troubles.
    04-06-14 11:58 PM
    OP you are not the only one that did happen to. On the Note 3 forum, quite a few peeps there have the same problem screen cracked. no dropping etc. The glass being that big it is almost a given to some sort of defect.

they should have used clear plexi-glass instead or thinker glass.
    04-07-14 12:18 AM
    they should have used clear plexi-glass instead or thinker glass.
    REALLY glad you didn't choose any engineering discipline. Plexiglass? Are you serious?

Posted via CB10
    04-07-14 01:26 AM
    Maybe you are holding the phone in a way you are putting pressure in the screen. Since the crack is in a straight line like that would be my guess.... maybe you are putting too much pressure in that corner of the screen.....

Posted via CB10
    04-07-14 06:50 AM
    Maybe because of the case?
    04-07-14 06:53 AM
    It's an otterbox commuter case.. I was also holding it with minimal force.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-14 07:23 AM
    REALLY glad you didn't choose any engineering discipline. Plexiglass? Are you serious?

Posted via CB10
    sure . at least it would not break
    04-07-14 12:04 PM
    Hello CB, I bought my first BB device 2 weeks ago today. Now before I get into the screen issue let me say I LOVE this phone. Coming from a SG1(****) >Moto Atrix 4g (awesome phone)>Xperia T (awesome screen+camera but dead in 8 hours). I wont go into detail as you all know why this phone is so great.

HOWEVER. . .

Exactly one week after I bought it I was laying in bed reading the news and it seemed like I blinked and a crack had appeared from about half an inch above the HDMI port that goes on a about a 45* run to just right of the front camera lense. I took the phone to wireless wave where I bought it and they said there was nothing they could do to help me and suggested a repair place to me, which has horrible ratings for CS. I then took the phone over to bell and was told in other words that I had caused the damage and to go fly a kite in a thunder storm.

Crack #2 same starting point only goes vertical curves out and back into the top left corner. This one I SAW HAPPEN and heard it.
    This happened yesterday morning as I was, you guessed it reading the news in bed.

Ive contacted a few repair shops and they are waiting on screens to come in or would have to order one. Prices around $150-$200.
    At this point I'm contemplating ordering a screen and doing it myself, if anyone knows a good place to get one or if for some unknown (to me) reason its not a good idea suggestions are welcome.
    Here's proof at least one BlackBerry user has a grip on things. Maybe a bit too much in this case.

If I were you I wouldn't continue using that particular device. Any phone of mine that does physical damage to itself is going on ebay or in the trash. Who knows what else it's capable of.

Posted via CB10
    Or maybe the glass cracked because it's bent... on world domination. Because it's 4am, anything's funny right now.
    04-08-14 04:06 AM
    It's an otterbox commuter case.. I was also holding it with minimal force.

Posted via CB10
    It's clearly a manufacturing flaw and you should have it replaced under warranty.
    Your device has an accelerometer in it which will show whether it was dropped hard enough to have caused this.
    It's probably unevenly stressed glass - which isn't all that uncommon.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10
    04-08-14 04:44 AM
43 12