model STL100-2
    software release 10.0.10.90

im new here and im not sure if i am in the correct place to ask questions...

but here is my the situation... I have a bbz10 and I have gone into my Security and Privacy/Encryption and turned my Device Encryption on... know when I choose to move my pictures from my bbz10 to my computer I notice that none of my pictures are Encrypted

can some one explain why this happening?
    04-01-14 08:27 AM
    I haven't messed with encryption in a long time, but the first thing I'd suggest is upgrading. 10.0?!?
    04-01-14 08:43 AM
    haha yea i know something im looking to do at some point in the near future... but i was wondering if any person had a solution or knowledge of why this is happening
    04-01-14 08:52 AM
    do you use a sd card?? i think the device encryption and the sd card encryption are separated, make sure they are both active.
    04-01-14 08:56 AM
    yes both is on and no i do not have sd card
    04-01-14 09:12 AM
    model STL100-2
    software release 10.0.10.90

im new here and im not sure if i am in the correct place to ask questions...

but here is my the situation... I have a bbz10 and I have gone into my Security and Privacy/Encryption and turned my Device Encryption on... know when I choose to move my pictures from my bbz10 to my computer I notice that none of my pictures are Encrypted

Are you moving or copying? I THINK that if you copy (or maybe even move), they will be unencrypted so that you can share them. (Move the card to a computer and see if you can read them? - ah, no card)
    04-01-14 09:16 AM
    Encryption is only for the device itself, and only when it is locked. When you transfer files from the device to your computer, you have the phone unlocked so the file is transferred unencrypted. It's no different than when you're using an encrypted laptop with a valid user logged into it: you've passed the validation steps that allow for access to the files.

If someone where to steal your phone and try plugging it into a computer via USB, since they don't know your password they would be unable to access the contents of the device.
    FF22 and BigBadWulf like this.
    04-01-14 09:18 AM
    hmm @ rthonpm

OK I hear you on that... but how certain are you on this... the only reason I ask this is because when I was using my old bb9300
    when my bb9300 was encrypted that meant that all my data was encrypted as in photos video and so on... and even if i tried to send a photo through whats app it would be encrypted.... or move files across to other computers, phones, hard drive and so on the files would be locked as in encrypted... but when using bbz10 that's not the case....

don't get me wrong here when I choose to encrypted the bbZ10 it does appear to be encrypting... but werez the proof
    04-01-14 09:39 AM
    hmm @ rthonpm

OK I hear you on that... but how certain are you on this... the only reason I ask this is because when I was using my old bb9300
    when my bb9300 was encrypted that meant that all my data was encrypted as in photos video and so on... and even if i tried to send a photo through whats app it would be encrypted.... or move files across to other computers, phones, hard drive and so on the files would be locked as in encrypted... but when using bbz10 that's not the case....

don't get me wrong here when I choose to encrypted the bbZ10 it does appear to be encrypting... but werez the proof
    Were you using native encryption or some kind of third party application? I never had that problem with my 8530, 9700, or 9810 that were all encrypted using the native BlackBerry process.
    04-01-14 11:54 AM
    and turned my Device Encryption on... know when I choose to move my pictures from my bbz10 to my computer I notice that none of my pictures are Encrypted

Completely expected behaviour. It's device encryption.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 12:00 PM
    I did not had or have that problem with my bb9300... like I stated the bb9300 would encrypt everything meaning photos films and so on....

So for example if I were to send a picture to your whats app or to your computer or what ever...the file u receive from my bb9300 would be encrypted there for being no use to you....

were as with the bbz10 I can still move files across platforms like whats app... or my computer, and receive the data but with no encryption...there for asking me the question is the bbz10 encrypted...it may say it is but werez the proof...or is there something im missing here...

( no third party app we talking about the blackberry built in encryption here)
    04-01-14 12:20 PM
    I did not had or have that problem with my bb9300... like I stated the bb9300 would encrypt everything meaning photos films and so on....

So for example if I were to send a picture to your whats app or to your computer or what ever...the file u receive from my bb9300 would be encrypted there for being no use to you....

were as with the bbz10 I can still move files across platforms like whats app... or my computer, and receive the data but with no encryption...there for asking me the question is the bbz10 encrypted...it may say it is but werez the proof...or is there something im missing here...

( no third party app we talking about the blackberry built in encryption here)
    While I understand your issues, how would you share a photo you wanted to share with someone else? I did not use encryption but was there a way to UNencrypt ONE photo (video, doc) at a time? Or did you have to remove ALL encryption from the device?
    04-01-14 03:00 PM
    There's 2 types of encryption.:

Device
    Media Card

When you allow access to an encrypted device, you are allowing that person to access that device and its files. No further password is needed after that.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 03:55 PM
    so im guessing that bbz10 does not save data as a rem file....(as for the question F2 I would with my bb9300 just make a snap shot and that seem to do the trick if I recall)
    04-01-14 05:11 PM
    If you want to test your device's encryption, connect it via USB to a friend's computer and do not install Link and see if you're able to access the contents without any kind of password.

Overall it sounds like your old device had something wrong with its encryption. What's the point of a device that can't share any files at all?

You could also turn off encryption, let the phone decrypt and then encrypt it again, but from what you're describing your Z10 doing it sounds as if the encryption is working as it should.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-14 05:11 AM
    I think the point is security..and as for my old device..there was nothing wrong with it at all...I was comparing the difference between the two phones when using the encryption...

so it seems that the old bb9300 is more secure than the new bbZ10....

and I have ta say thanks to you all that responded
    04-02-14 10:49 AM
    The BlackBerry 9300 used file encryption, tied to your device key/password.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-14 08:15 PM