Hi all,
    I have an old laptop running SETI. i have it setup in the house 24/7. What I want to do is this:

using an old BB9780, vodafone pay as you go with 1gb data (more than enough) - linked to my laptop by USB cable running Blackberry Desktop Software 6.2010 Bundle 21 is for if the laptop reboots for the laptop to boot up and run the desktop software - which it does. I then want it to automatically connect to the BB handset and use its internet connection.
    This i would like to happen automatically - I can get the desktop software to start on boot its the internet connection sharing part I am struggling with.
    if anyone can help me?
    03-31-14 09:20 AM
    What software would you be using to share the internet connection? Does your carrier allow tethering or "internet connection sharing" as you are calling it?
    04-02-14 08:23 AM
    Does this laptop have any other network connections open? Make sure you disable the Ethernet and Wireless functions of the laptop as this should then help to promote the Blackberry Connection within the OS.

And why are you using such an old copy of Blackberry Desktop Software? I have the v7.1.0.32 (11 July 2012 Bundle 33) version on this PC. Happy to do a few experiments for you and bring my IT Support knowledge into this.
    04-07-14 11:04 AM
    Wouldn't you have to write a batch file to load at startup to get tethering to load?
    04-07-14 11:25 AM
    Eh? Not sure why you would need a batch file. If phone is lashed to the computer then it just becomes a modem. A modem the OS should use to route TCP\IP data that it gets presented. Just like the old 56k modems of the past.

I'll go hunt out the usernames\password for my Orange phone and give this a go. Can't see it being too hard to achieve. Plugged my Bold into my Win7 PC and first usage of BDS \ Tools \ Start Mobile Internet installed the phone as a modem in the OS. An icon that has now stayed in place. Only untested step here is to get that modem to now auto-dial - something that should be straight forward.
    04-07-14 11:52 AM
    Eh? Not sure why you would need a batch file. If phone is lashed to the computer then it just becomes a modem. A modem the OS should use to route TCP\IP data that it gets presented. Just like the old 56k modems of the past.

I'll go hunt out the usernames\password for my Orange phone and give this a go. Can't see it being too hard to achieve. Plugged my Bold into my Win7 PC and first usage of BDS \ Tools \ Start Mobile Internet installed the phone as a modem in the OS. An icon that has now stayed in place. Only untested step here is to get that modem to now auto-dial - something that should be straight forward.
    Yes but how do you start the PAM service from a fresh boot?

Edit: with no interaction from someone?
    04-07-14 12:10 PM
    Not sure who PAM is, but a modem is a modem. So the modem should be able to handle auto-dial once it sees a TCP/IP packet it needs to route.

I am looking at this from a pure OS viewpoint. ADSL modems would usually be set to auto-dial. And the old POTS modems could do auto-dial too. I hadn't noticed that this post is already over a week old when I replied to it. So I get a feeling he ain't coming back and\or he found his answer already.

At this moment I am waiting for the OP to come back before I waste time tracking down the settings for my own phone..
    04-07-14 12:31 PM
    Not sure who PAM is, but a modem is a modem. So the modem should be able to handle auto-dial once it sees a TCP/IP packet it needs to route.

I am looking at this from a pure OS viewpoint. ADSL modems would usually be set to auto-dial. And the old POTS modems could do auto-dial too. I hadn't noticed that this post is already over a week old when I replied to it. So I get a feeling he ain't coming back and\or he found his answer already.

At this moment I am waiting for the OP to come back before I waste time tracking down the settings for my own phone..
    Don't blame you. It sounds like to me he wants to use his phone to be his desktop internet connection and he wants it that way with no user interaction even if the computer reboots. I'm sure you're smarter at this than I but it would need a startup profile to start using the phone as a modem. Even with a traditional modem it didn't connect to the internet until you told it to.

EDIT: PAM = phone as a modem
    04-07-14 12:40 PM
    Traditional modems did auto-connect. I had dial-up 28k \ 56k modems auto-connecting from Win95\98 and NT 4.0\2K. Then plenty of examples of 56k modems and ADSL modems auto-connecting with Win XP. If anything the main hassle was to tell them when to automatically disconnect when finished.

Only played with a few dialup modem in this Vista \ Win7 era. Last dial-up 56K was with a client at least five years back now. Instead everyone has moved on to Routers instead.

Hang on - them 3G Dongles can be set to autodial. If I had the credentials for my phone to hand, I'd just try this out. Can't see why the OS would treat the device any different to another other modem.

As to your PAM TLA. That did make me laugh. If it is Phone As A Modem, then surely that is PAAM? It is why I tend to avoid the TLA soup on forums like this
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-07-14 12:59 PM
    Traditional modems did auto-connect. I had dial-up 28k \ 56k modems auto-connecting from Win95\98 and NT 4.0\2K. Then plenty of examples of 56k modems and ADSL modems auto-connecting with Win XP. If anything the main hassle was to tell them when to automatically disconnect when finished.

Only played with a few dialup modem in this Vista \ Win7 era. Last dial-up 56K was with a client at least five years back now. Instead everyone has moved on to Routers instead.

Hang on - them 3G Dongles can be set to autodial. If I had the credentials for my phone to hand, I'd just try this out. Can't see why the OS would treat the device any different to another other modem.

As to your PAM TLA. That did make me laugh. If it is Phone As A Modem, then surely that is PAAM? It is why I tend to avoid the TLA soup on forums like this
    I'm sure they can but something at startup has to tell it to. That's why I mentioned a batch file to be plugged into a startup entry.
    04-07-14 01:22 PM
    SETI should knock out the relevant TCP/IP data to start jabbering enough to make the modem wake up. Even the OS itself will kickoff Windows Updates which should do it. Modern OS's tend to assume they are always online so keep jabbering constantly.

I just had a quick play with it to remind myself how to do it and notice the option from Win9x\XP era has gone. There used to be the ability to make a priority choice in the Internet Options\Connections tab which would let you choose "If no LAN, then use modem". There is now a noticeable gap in this dialog box.

The rest of setting up a modem seems trivially simple. Initialisation strings go into the Device Manager\Modem properties. And then setting up the modem itself is fairly trvial (especially as Orange has no username and password to enter). The only missing link is the auto-dial which seems to be a little more cryptic in Win7. Even the Win7 help implies it is on by default... but just didn't seem to want to work in a quick test

Though any PIN on the phone will need to be removed.

I gotta go now as expecting a call. May look at this again when I get a bit of time *if* the OP comes back.
    04-07-14 01:40 PM
    SETI should knock out the relevant TCP/IP data to start jabbering enough to make the modem wake up. Even the OS itself will kickoff Windows Updates which should do it. Modern OS's tend to assume they are always online so keep jabbering constantly.

I just had a quick play with it to remind myself how to do it and notice the option from Win9x\XP era has gone. There used to be the ability to make a priority choice in the Internet Options\Connections tab which would let you choose "If no LAN, then use modem". There is now a noticeable gap in this dialog box.

The rest of setting up a modem seems trivially simple. Initialisation strings go into the Device Manager\Modem properties. And then setting up the modem itself is fairly trvial (especially as Orange has no username and password to enter). The only missing link is the auto-dial which seems to be a little more cryptic in Win7. Even the Win7 help implies it is on by default... but just didn't seem to want to work in a quick test

Though any PIN on the phone will need to be removed.

I gotta go now as expecting a call. May look at this again when I get a bit of time *if* the OP comes back.
    Nice test. I think he wants it thru DM but the OP will have to clarify that.
    04-07-14 01:46 PM