I had no idea it could do this...

I have had Goggles installed from Snap for a while now. I've used it a few times and found it handy.

Today, I got a Hub notification from it. I didn't think they could do that. It found a pic I downloaded from the Internet for use in my BB Channel, analyzed it, and then suggested I buy a book that used the pic as its cover. So it either monitored my Browser or scanned my device files and sent the info back to Google. Either way, that stuff is none of their business.

I opened the Hub notification, clicked on open, and it launched Goggles to the pic I had with a link to purchase the book. While a cool function, it opened my eyes at what Google is doing on my device without me knowing about it.

I have since deleted it as well as Google Maps. I'm not really the tinfoil hat type of guy, but that just bugged me.

Just wanted to share my experience.

Check out my AZ MTB Channel C0006F5EB
    fbloise, fabio984 and redchilli88 like this.
    03-28-14 08:02 PM
    My guess is monitored your pictures folder and scanned new photos. There's probably a setting somewhere in the app that will turn that off.
    03-29-14 01:16 AM
    Goggles used to have an option to scan your pictures folder. When you first launch the app, it asks about it.
    You can just turn it off.
    Besides, it's Google's main business. To sell ads based on your searches and interests. When you use a Google service, you should always be aware of that!!!

Cheers.

Posted via CB10
    -Puck- and gkl like this.
    03-29-14 12:27 PM
    I definitely am aware now. Thanks.

Check out my AZ MTB Channel C0006F5EB
    03-29-14 05:12 PM
    I never trusted them from way back when they did the mapping of the roads. They stole lots of information that they didn't report then SO what are they doing now. Nothing from Google goes on my BlackBerry Z30. Never will trust them ever again.

Posted via CB10
    sedalia066 and jupiter8 like this.
    03-30-14 06:43 AM
    Now that BlackBerry has added Google to their phone I am removing myself from BlackBerry there is no need for BlackBerry anymore. If they feel that Google is a much better way to go they should just sell the rights to Google and get out of the cell phone business. I am now looking at new cell phone man this pisses me off just got this phone less than a year.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 08:05 AM
    Now that BlackBerry has added Google to their phone I am removing myself from BlackBerry there is no need for BlackBerry anymore. If they feel that Google is a much better way to go they should just sell the rights to Google and get out of the cell phone business. I am now looking at new cell phone man this pisses me off just got this phone less than a year.

Posted via CB10
    How has BB added Google to their phones???

There are NO Google Play services installed by default, and the only android apps natively available are ones that you choose to download through the Amazon App store - not the Play Store.
    02-26-15 08:21 AM
    That alone tells all BlackBerry users that Google is better than BlackBerry if they can be loaded on them next you will wont iPhone app on your BlackBerry. I say if you want one just go buy one

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 10:03 PM
    Don't forget to not use Google as the default search, use an ad blocking browser. They track your browser through sites that have advertising supplied by Google. They are everywhere. Wish I could use Privoxy on my phone
    02-28-15 09:41 AM

Posted via CB10
    That alone tells all BlackBerry users that Google is better than BlackBerry if they can be loaded on them next you will wont iPhone app on your BlackBerry. I say if you want one just go buy one

Posted via CB10
    You are one silly sir, sir.

Not even going to debate this here, but if you really want to, there are many threads on this forum with hundreds of users who'd very much disagree!

Praise be unto our Lord Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.2072
    03-01-15 08:26 PM
    To me this is not a debate this is my opinion. But do tell me why do places put things on sale and low the price on things? Let me tell you to get rid of old products and to keep the people coming back because they are losing the battle. So for BlackBerry to stay alive they must join with Google to stay in the game. Most people want there toys and a good cell phone but joining with Google is a bad thing just keep the blackberry a cell phone and get a Google device to play on.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-15 08:35 AM
    To me this is not a debate this is my opinion. But do tell me why do places put things on sale and low the price on things? Let me tell you to get rid of old products and to keep the people coming back because they are losing the battle. So for BlackBerry to stay alive they must join with Google to stay in the game. Most people want there toys and a good cell phone but joining with Google is a bad thing just keep the blackberry a cell phone and get a Google device to play on.

Posted via CB10
    One of those opinions, that still sees BlackBerry as a hardware company only.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-15 08:48 AM
    Can you use a hammer as a paint brush? NO but you will still see people make a hammer a Swiss Knife.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-15 09:05 AM
    One of those opinions, that still sees BlackBerry as a hardware company only.

Posted via CB10
    Ah, there, thanks

Praise be unto our Lord Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.2072
    03-03-15 09:53 AM