Now that Microsoft has released a true native Office Suite for the iPad, we're probably going to have to stop calling it a toy. I installed it on my iPad today before running to catch a flight & I must say I'm pretty impressed.

Excel works as I would expect it to on the desktop (PC)... My home laptop was dead to me before; now I can officially recycle it.

I'm wondering how Blackberry/J. Chen will respond, announcement of a new tablet w/ office fully baked in on tomm's earnings call (fingers crossed).

The industry is moving so fast and while we get revenues from BES, I'm not sure if it's enough to keep the faith much less offer a path towards being a strong market contender.
    Last edited by copeland007; 03-27-14 at 06:05 PM.
    03-27-14 05:51 PM
    Ipad= toy? It pretty much owns the enterprise tablet market.

Sent from iOS using Tapatalk
    dehrlich01 likes this.
    03-27-14 06:04 PM
    I agree, the iPad has 85% of the enterprise market.

There are plenty of users here who call anything from Apple, a toy. One of the most useful desktop tools just went mobile (Apple only for the time being); hopefully we'll see less iToy comments and look forward to more BB10 devices.
    richardat likes this.
    03-27-14 06:09 PM
    Aren't we all over this "itoy" stuff? Who has time to call anything a name. Just use what you want and what works. Big BB fangurl here. Guess what? I USE an ipad mini at work and home!
    Carjackd, Elite1, Mic_JP and 11 others like this.
    03-27-14 06:10 PM
    Aren't we all over this "itoy" stuff? Who has time to call anything a name. Just use what you want and what works. Big BB fangurl here. Guess what? I USE an ipad mini at work and home!
    Agreed, we have bigger issues to resolve than the silly name calling. Would love to see a killer app or feature exclusive for blackberry... Come on guys give us something new.
    Carjackd likes this.
    03-27-14 06:15 PM
    What new features are you getting from excel OP?

Posted via CB10
    03-27-14 06:22 PM
    Actually can anyone tell me what new features I would get using this app over something like docs to go? I'd really like to know. I use excel and word a lot for work and have been satisfied with docs to go for a mobile option. I especially like making power point slides with docs to go. But I would like more excel functionality.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-14 06:37 PM
    Actually can anyone tell me what new features I would get using this app over something like docs to go? I'd really like to know. I use excel and word a lot for work and have been satisfied with docs to go for a mobile option. I especially like making power point slides with docs to go. But I would like more excel functionality.

Posted via CB10
    I've never used docs to go but my PowerPoint slides link to excel so whatever I update my calculations in excel it feeds my graphs.

I need to get under the hood more but I'm pretty happy from a tech standpoint, well sort of... working more, meh.
    03-27-14 06:42 PM
    Now that Microsoft has released a true native Office Suite for the iPad, we're probably going to have to stop calling it a toy. I installed it on my iPad today before running to catch a flight & I must say I'm pretty impressed.

Excel works as I would expect it to on the desktop (PC)... My home laptop was dead to me before; now I can officially recycle it.

I'm wondering how Blackberry/J. Chen will respond, announcement of a new tablet w/ office fully baked in on tomm's earnings call (fingers crossed).

The industry is moving so fast and while we get revenues from BES, I'm not sure if it's enough to keep the faith much less offer a path towards being a strong market contender.
    How can excel work well if you don't have a mouse?

Posted via CB10
    03-27-14 06:50 PM
    I've never used docs to go but my PowerPoint slides link to excel so whatever I update my calculations in excel it feeds my graphs.

I need to get under the hood more but I'm pretty happy from a tech standpoint, well sort of... working more, meh.
    Thanks. I'd be curious to hear more about it. I've always felt there needed to be a more mobile friendly office suite. I don't mean one that mimics the desktop experience. I'd like one with that functionality but developed with mobile in mind first as opposed to trying to make desktop work on mobile.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-14 07:20 PM
    Why is this thread doing in the BB10 OS section?
    03-27-14 07:47 PM
    Why would anyone get an iPad when Surface Pro 2 is available? The Surface is massively better and has more great apps than anything.
    Well for one thing when it comes to apps you can't beat ios. And the other thing is that an ipad is massively cheaper than a surface pro 2

Posted via CB10
    03-27-14 07:49 PM
    Well for one thing when it comes to apps you can't beat ios. And the other thing is that an ipad is massively cheaper than a surface pro 2

Posted via CB10
    Cheaper? Where?

Posted via CB10
    03-27-14 07:51 PM
    I agree Jaydee...the name calling thing is rather old and we have bigger fish to fry. whatever works for you. I love my z30 and I love my ipad Air.

I just want to hear some news tomorrow that things are stabilizing

Posted Via my Kick @ss BlackBerry Z30
    03-27-14 08:03 PM

You still need a place to store any received files, newly created files, or modified files. My company has over 30,000 iPads and many got to test the Office Suite and opted against it. Instead we use VMWARE and a Virtual PC Desktop linked to a secure version of BOX. You simply enter your credentials and you are viewing a Virtual PC screen with IE and all Microsoft Programs we had before giving back our laptops. It works much better and is way smoother than the iPad Office Suite. Now that's just from a business perspective. Obviously, not all iPad users have their iPads running through a company network, I'm simply stating I think most companies will still to go with the secure VPN, VMWARE, Virtual Desktop access to Microsoft.

Posted with my BlackBerry Q10 on VZW from Philly
    johnnyuk and anon(2729369) like this.
    03-27-14 08:05 PM
    Ipad= toy? It pretty much owns the enterprise tablet market.

Sent from iOS using Tapatalk
    Marty, here's a new profile picture for you:
    End of the "iToy" nickname?-marty-mcfly.png

Posted with my ? Q10.
    anon(5818411) likes this.
    03-27-14 08:08 PM
    I can imagine the BlackBerry Express app and other office/presentation related apps being more usable on a tablet format. Let's go blackberry!

Posted via CB10
    Genghis2k3 likes this.
    03-27-14 08:22 PM
    How can excel work well if you don't have a mouse?

Posted via CB10
    Exactly what I was thinking! I don't find running office on a tablet very practical.
    03-27-14 08:32 PM
    Wait a minute. I thought the Playbook was the first professional tablet released into the market. What is this nonsense?
    extisis, richardat and techvisor like this.
    03-27-14 08:59 PM
    Wait a minute. I thought the Playbook was the first professional tablet released into the market. What is this nonsense?
    Such value. I'm shocked. Does anyone who has used the suite have some information they can share regarding functionality. Particularly with Excel spreadsheets and edits. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-14 09:27 PM
    Such value. I'm shocked. Does anyone who has used the suite have some information they can share regarding functionality. Particularly with Excel spreadsheets and edits. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    @d_march I've got full editing capabilities as I would on my desk top, formulas, functions etc. if you're looking for vlookup/pivot tables, I haven't tried that yet but the apps are free to download and sample.

You only pay if you want full editing functionality.

I suggest you try the apps before deciding whether a mouse is needed.
    03-27-14 09:40 PM
    I've used Excel via D2G on Palm ages ago. Big value to me.

I am gonna try it on Android. If there ever was an app I'd consider asking to sideload on my 10, this is it. I assume native MS Doc should be better than compatible apps, but who knows.
    03-27-14 09:49 PM
    I actually tweaked your title, so as to try and discourage rampant responses. Although I'm not an Apple aficionado, iToy really is overused as an insult.

A device doesn't have to be of our liking to be respectful to the members here that use them. We can disagree without getting petty, and giving them a reason to come in and trash your device of choice.
    03-27-14 09:55 PM
    One takeaway from this is that MS seems to be more open to ensuring that people on competing mobile platforms can get involved in its ecosystem.
    03-27-14 10:03 PM
    I just want to insert row/columns on my Excel sheet. Why is it so hard to give me that Docs To Go? ... why?
    03-27-14 10:10 PM
130 123 ...