So I have had my Playbook now for 2 years 7 months and never had a problem with it however tonight I am experiencing trouble when I plug my micro HDMI cable trying to connect it to my TV so I can watch a movie.

I honestly don't know what has happened, last night it worked perfectly and now problems.

I find if I change the resolution (or maybe it is called something else, I hope you get what I mean. It is those numbers on the HDMI setting tab that are like 1090/840) then I see a small version of my blackberry screen on my TV but it is completely distorted and has all pink wiggly lines over it.

I have tried the cable on my partners tablet and it works fine, the TV is fine and other than this one problem everything else on my Playbook seems to be running smoothly.

Please any help would be appreciated.
    03-24-14 07:50 PM
    First thought. When was the last time you rebooted your device? Second thought and this has been occurring to me lately since I have had a few issues with the PlayBook which could just need a refresh. When was the last time you had an OS refresh (Upgrade or Security wipe)? I'm waiting a couple of days since there is a rumour of an updated OS (2.1.0.1915, I'm not one buying into the whole BB10 nonsense) and it could drop any day now, but I'm considering doing a security wipe just to refresh the OS.
    03-24-14 07:58 PM
    Thank you for replying. I reboot my device all the time, I never leave it on standby when I am not using it.

I can't remember the last time I had an OS refresh or update, it was at least a year ago and when I checked yesterday there was no updates.

At the moment I have a lot of files (as I use it for work too) on my device and movies/pictures. If I did a security wipe would it delete all of them?
    03-25-14 08:04 AM
    If I did a security wipe would it delete all of them?
    Yes. MANUALLY back up all files before wiping.
    03-25-14 08:47 AM
    [QUOTE=Smith1221;10161838]Thank you for replying. I reboot my device all the time, I never leave it on standby when I am not using it.

I can't remember the last time I had an OS refresh or update, it was at least a year ago and when I checked yesterday there was no updates.

At the moment I have a lot of files (as I use it for work too) on my device and movies/pictures. If I did a security wipe would it delete all of them?[/QUOTE]

Yes, it would. That is why you always want to backup/copy all your vids/music/docs to your pc BEFORE you do any update or wipe/reinstall of the OS. And I always do it by the data cable. I copy all my important things I want to keep into a folder on the PC desktop.

I owned both 64 PB since launch, and yes, once a year I wipe and reinstall. Makes it like a brand new PB. YES, the SSD inside the PB (like all drives, spinning and flash) can become fragmented. And if you do alot of sideloading (which is sketchy at best) can accelerate the issue.

Just make sure you copy all of you stuff you do not want to use to the PC before you do anything. Once you've done that, have at it, and all your stuff is safe, and can be copied back to the PB.

c
    03-25-14 08:49 AM
    I would try another cable first. I had a problem with one of my Playbooks, but when I used a new cable, the problem went away.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    03-25-14 09:43 AM
    I have tried a different brand new cable and while there was some improvement in that I could actually see my apps and things it was still really distorted and impossible to view.

Something I did notice when I plugged in the brand new hdmi cable into my playbook it was more difficult to get in, my regular cable just clicked into place but the new one I had to actually force it a little bit. Everything looks normal though, there is nothing I can see that is broken on my Playbook which would cause any problem.

I have tried my best to keep my Playbook in good condition and take great care due to it being something I use a lot for work, when I am not using it I keep it inside the neoprene case and then in my briefcase so I cannot see it being damaged.

I am going to now try and find something to transfer my files onto and then do a system reset and see if that helps.
    03-26-14 09:49 AM
    I have tried a different brand new cable and while there was some improvement in that I could actually see my apps and things it was still really distorted and impossible to view.

Something I did notice when I plugged in the brand new hdmi cable into my playbook it was more difficult to get in, my regular cable just clicked into place but the new one I had to actually force it a little bit. Everything looks normal though, there is nothing I can see that is broken on my Playbook which would cause any problem.

I have tried my best to keep my Playbook in good condition and take great care due to it being something I use a lot for work, when I am not using it I keep it inside the neoprene case and then in my briefcase so I cannot see it being damaged.

I am going to now try and find something to transfer my files onto and then do a system reset and see if that helps.
    There is a software reset (turn off and on) and a hardware reset (power, +, -):
    How To Perform a Hard Reset on the BlackBerry PlayBook - BerryReview

Try the hardware reset before you wipe the PB. You won't lose any data.
    03-26-14 10:15 AM
    Thank you for replying. I reboot my device all the time, I never leave it on standby when I am not using it.
    A reboot instead of shutdown and restart sometimes fixes issues.
    To reboot:
    Hold power and volume + buttons until the screen shuts off. You will first see the three options and shortly after the screen will go blank and the Playbook will restart on its own. Worth a shot.
    03-26-14 12:04 PM
    Thanks, I am just trying this now. I don't know if it was just unsuccessful in solving my problem or if I did it incorrectly. Should the playbook be on for this to work and should it restart or saying anything like "hard reset"?

I tried it and it made the shutter sound like I had taken a screen show and then after I held them it shut down.
    03-26-14 12:05 PM
    Guess I should have reloaded the page before replying.

I have found the volume - key is unnecessary. I'm not sure where the 3 button routine came from. Tech support has told me two buttons and in the early days of this forum I think that was the way. Somewhere along the line the volume - key joined.
    03-26-14 12:09 PM
    The PlayBook should be turned on and if you use just the power and volume - you won't take a screen shot(shutter sound). By the way those screen shots are saved in the pictures folder. Can be a useful feature.
    03-26-14 12:11 PM
    Thanks, I am just trying this now. I don't know if it was just unsuccessful in solving my problem or if I did it incorrectly. Should the playbook be on for this to work and should it restart or saying anything like "hard reset"?

I tried it and it made the shutter sound like I had taken a screen show and then after I held them it shut down.
    Yeah, screen shot is just holding vol +/-. The power button is hard to activate because it is so small. If it shut down, I think you did it right. There is no special notification of a soft or hard reset.
    Screenshot Feature Built Into BlackBerry PlayBook! - BerryReview
    03-26-14 12:13 PM
    I had no joy with the hard reset and so once I finally backed up all my files and things I want to keep I did the security wipe.

Unfortunately I am still having the same problem, although the picture is slightly clearer now than it was before it is still not suitable for presentations or watching movies.

I have tried tweaking around some of the different things on the hdmi settings bar and when I set it to "Stretch" I get a clear picture but it cuts out and goes completely blank for a few seconds every 10-15 seconds.

This is so depressing, I love my Playbook but the hdmi feature was the main thing for me, 90% of my use was via the hdmi. Is there any more things I can try to fix it?
    03-28-14 09:02 AM
    This is so depressing, I love my Playbook but the hdmi feature was the main thing for me, 90% of my use was via the hdmi. Is there any more things I can try to fix it?
    Keep trying different cables. If the results remain the same, repair or replacement of the PlayBook is the only other choice.

It is not too far fetched that you have more than one bad cable. I ordered a batch of five cheap ones off eBay and two of them didn't work.

You could also try connecting to a different TV port or different TV in case the TV or port on the TV is the problem.
    03-28-14 09:28 AM
    Hi Thanks for trying to help I do appreciate it. I have ruled out every other possibility, I did buy a brand new cable and have tested it on 2 seperate TVs after this my friend at work has a Playbook and he came over to test his on my TV with my cable and his works without a problem.

This is really sad, the most depressing thing is that I took such great care for everything and can't even understand how come the problem came about.

My Playbook is always kept in it's cover when not being used and then in my case which is padded and solid so there is no way it could have got bumped or damaged. When I am using it for the hdmi I always take care when plugging in the cables and then place it on a shelf next to my TV so it does not get knocked about.

I even take care of my hdmi cables. I never leave them plugged in when not in use like a lot of my friends do and I always put the protective plastic caps on the ends so they don't get scratched or damaged.

All this care and still I get a problem :'(
    03-28-14 09:42 AM
    Hi Thanks for trying to help I do appreciate it. I have ruled out every other possibility, I did buy a brand new cable and have tested it on 2 seperate TVs after this my friend at work has a Playbook and he came over to test his on my TV with my cable and his works without a problem.

This is really sad, the most depressing thing is that I took such great care for everything and can't even understand how come the problem came about.

My Playbook is always kept in it's cover when not being used and then in my case which is padded and solid so there is no way it could have got bumped or damaged. When I am using it for the hdmi I always take care when plugging in the cables and then place it on a shelf next to my TV so it does not get knocked about.

I even take care of my hdmi cables. I never leave them plugged in when not in use like a lot of my friends do and I always put the protective plastic caps on the ends so they don't get scratched or damaged.

All this care and still I get a problem :'(
    I know this is no consolation, but you did seem to get your moneys worth if you used it 90% for HDMI out. Sometimes, heat generation is worse for electronics relative to dropping/bumping. Unfortunately, the LCD runs on the PB with the mirroring to HDMI. It can get a little warm watching a 2 hr movie. It is a bummer when electronics fail but I guess they only last so long. Hopefully you can get a suitable replacement.
    03-28-14 10:54 AM
    FWIW, the developer of Kalemsoft Media Player stated that the next update to their app would support DLNA streaming. This may prove to be an acceptable alternative for you.
    03-28-14 11:23 AM
    Is there any more things I can try to fix it?
    It's curious that the picture improved with a security wipe. With a hardware failure there should not have been any improvement. You could try reloading the operating system. Search for forums for "debrick". It will completely wipe the OS and reload a fresh version. Since you're wiped anyway it's worth a shot. Good luck
    Gooseberry Falls likes this.
    03-28-14 12:02 PM
    Unfortunately, the LCD runs on the PB with the mirroring to HDMI. It can get a little warm watching a 2 hr movie.
    If you're watching from the native video player, put the PB in presentation mode and the screen will timeout.
    Gooseberry Falls likes this.
    03-28-14 12:04 PM
    FWIW, the developer of Kalemsoft Media Player stated that the next update to their app would support DLNA streaming. This may prove to be an acceptable alternative for you.
    What does DLNA streaming mean?

Also I did have it in presentation mode and when I was watching movies my playbook would be on standby mode with the screen off.

I will look for the debrick thing now, fingers crossed.
    03-28-14 04:39 PM
    What does DLNA streaming mean?
    Basically, it means you can stream media wirelessly to a smart TV. For non smart TVs, there are hdmi sticks (that attach to the TV's hdmi port, not the Playbook's) available that will allow you to stream to the TV. Some of these sticks are pretty cheap.
    03-28-14 08:47 PM
    I hope that debrick does the trick, I use my PB for HDMI about 60% of the time, don't know what I would do if it conked out on me.

I do have one question though, what did you mean by "I don't even leave my hdmi cables plugged in". If they aren't in use is it required you disconnect them? Are they being damaged if you don't?

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 10:15 AM
    I hope that debrick does the trick, I use my PB for HDMI about 60% of the time, don't know what I would do if it conked out on me.

I do have one question though, what did you mean by "I don't even leave my hdmi cables plugged in". If they aren't in use is it required you disconnect them? Are they being damaged if you don't?

Posted via CB10
    The debrick did not work I guess I am all out of options and have to buy another tablet.

When I said I don't even leave my hdmi cables plugged in I mean I un-plug them from the TV and put the caps on then keep them in a drawer. I have friends who sometimes leave them in their TVs hanging down on the floor, I think that is risky because they can get scratched or damaged if you step on them or then knock against the wall etc.
    03-31-14 06:36 PM