B]I have posted this before, but please MOD do not delete this one! I have created mockups of my ideas and don't want them to get lost in a super old thread!
    [/B]

One thing I was just working on here was a design for the new OS. Would enhance the home screen and take away active frames as we know it, and turn them into interactive frames...

I JUST downloaded this program in order to create these mockups, so PLEASE do not insult or make fun of any mistakes or things that don't look right...this is more to give the idea of what I am thinking BlackBerry should modify the Active Frames to!
    The fact that is has 3 bars horizontal. Each having a different function. These could be the new "Interactive" Frames for 10.3.

Interactive Frames - 10.3 Update!-active-frame.jpg

Instead of the app name on the side like in mock it, it would be at the bottom of the bar, maybe separated like it is now in the current active frames (separated for a reason as I will explain). The home screen will show 3 on a screen at a time with the 4th slightly showing through the bottom (very faint look to the 4th). This 4th one will be BEHIND the current navigation pane for quick jumping between app pages, and hub and home screen.

Now the frames will be larger than what we have now, so more information can be displayed. I picture more cycling between information on apps, and not as static of an experience. Lets say for example you have your Music app open. The app will display the album cover in the frame, again faintly in the background with the song title upfront, artist...and possibly other pieces of information. Now to become interactive, users will simply press and hold...picture the gestures from the photo app (you take a photo, drag the thumbnail of the photo up and into a share/delete function and done!) so this will be similar, you will press and hold and very quickly options will pop up...Music options could include, Play/Pause, Next/Back, Shuffle, Repeat. They will function the same as the photo example I mentioned. You press and hold and move up to next, and the song will switch. See mockup below

Interactive Frames - 10.3 Update!-active-frame-copy-2.jpg Interactive Frames - 10.3 Update!-active-frame-copy-3.jpg

Same features go for all applications...pictures can allow you to change the cycle time so it will be a slideshow of pictures and you control if pictures change every minute, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, never, etc.

I could go on and on with each apps functions but I won't.
    Now the app when you swipe up won't instantly change to the next page like it currently does...i find thats not as interactive. So it will move with your finger, you move it slightly and it will only move a bit as well...

Now for closing the frames, lets take out the "X" as that is not modern design! So we will take that out and make it a swipe to the left. This will throw it off the screen and poof gone! and an undo button will pop up briefly...if you touch anywhere else the undo button will immediately go away so as to not interfere with the user. (after 2 uses the user will know how this works!) and then on an app, a swipe to the right will pin the app to the spot it is current in! See mockups below

Interactive Frames - 10.3 Update!-active-frame-4.jpg Interactive Frames - 10.3 Update!-active-frame-5.jpg

You can rearrange these apps by when you press and hold the app "Title", for example...MUSIC...and dragging it around to where you want it...think of BlackBerry Express how you can drag around the tiles. See mockups below

Interactive Frames - 10.3 Update!-active-frame-copy-6.jpg Interactive Frames - 10.3 Update!-active-frame-copy-7.jpg

Now the final awesome feature is pinch to enlarge!

Lets stick with music app...we are using it and we want more functionality, basically a full app...now what you can do is to resize the app is just Pinch to Zoom (fingers together and then separate). This will basically just blow up the app you do this gesture on...it will show you where it will resize too...if you move slightly it will show a shaded outline that it will double in size (same size as 2 active frames - basically being 2/3 of screen)...if you go all the way, it will open the frame within the entire home screen. See mockups below of gesture, 2/3 screen and full screen active frames!

*Interactive Frames - 10.3 Update!-active-frame-copy-8.jpg Interactive Frames - 10.3 Update!-active-frame-copy-9.jpg

Interactive Frames - 10.3 Update!-active-frame-copy-10.jpg Interactive Frames - 10.3 Update!-active-frame-copy-11.jpg

The beauty of this is that you can still scroll the home screen because all this is is an enlarged frame! See below for mockup of how apps still show up under the full screen active frame

Interactive Frames - 10.3 Update!-active-frame-copy-12.jpg

Another thing I would like to say is that for messaging, lets say you have BBM open and you receive a message. The message you receive will show up on the frame, and due to the size and it being the width of the screen, it will show the entire message, unless it is extremely long! Now you can press and hold like before and these messaging apps will give you the option to reply from frame! Just press hold, move to reply...then just start replying and send!

To give a design cue for the pop up when you press and hold...I will use Pinterest app as an example...when you press and hold a pin you like, it will pop up with options to interact with the pin, that is how these options would pop up in the active frames.

Anyways this is an idea I had and would be flat and minimalistic yet still can follow many many BB10 design cues. Again I would like to state this is my first time EVER using a photoshop type program, and I am actually just using it on a trial which shows how new I am with this stuff...I hope the mockups look nice enough for the critics here in CrackBerry (I am on of those critics...and I think for a first time I did a decent job here!)

Anyways let me know what you all think, this is a long post but a LOT of time went into developing the mockups and the idea as a whole, so please be gentle with me if you don't like it!

2 things to add...1) It OBVIOUSLY would allow for landscape view! all same principles apply in landscape mode, but it will only show TWO frames instead of 3. 2) The black colour was the default of choice to make it easier for the mockups...the colours will definitely be dependant upon the users background! and each app will have different colour schemes...like FaceBook would be blue...Vine --> green, etc. To keep it flat, there will never be gradients.
    03-21-14 09:44 AM
    Here is a little re-design to implement your ideas...basically this shows in the music app that you can touch and hold to open the functions "pause, back, next, shuffle, repeat"

And in the pictures app when you touch and hold on the app name bar...it will pop up the icons seen in the picture...the "garbage" is to close the app, "star" is to pin/favourite the app to the screen, the "resizing" option is to the left of the word and once clicked all other options will disappear and you can then drag the screen to your desired size choice!, and finally the rearrange button, the lines on the right...you go to that one and it allows you to move the icon around on the screen.

Interactive Frames - 10.3 Update!-active-frame-14.jpg
    03-21-14 09:46 AM
    The settings will be customizable...for those who want to use the gesture based motions you can, for those of you who want to keep the gestures to jumping to the hub and apps, then you can long hold to bring up the options (changeable in the settings menu)
    03-21-14 09:47 AM
    Thats really nice but i think thats going to kill your battery real quick
    03-21-14 08:02 PM
    I like it but it seems like too much. I like the active frames.
    03-21-14 08:19 PM
    Thats really nice but i think thats going to kill your battery real quick
    With the Z30 battery and future technology and better/bigger batteries, why would this matter? It would be minimal drainage as it puts the app in a paused state similarly as the active frames do now, the only difference would be that you will be able to interact with the frame better...

This interaction is something that SHOULD be coming in 10.3 as majority of users have contacted BlackBerry regarding making the frames interactive...so it will come in one form or another
    03-21-14 08:31 PM
    I like this

Posted via CB10
    03-21-14 11:42 PM
    I think this would be perfect!! It's the perfect combination between active frames and widgets! I would absolutely love this feature!

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    HUNTZODIAC likes this.
    03-22-14 12:48 AM
    I don't believe this is the way to go. clutter is not good in my opinion. But if the OS could morph itself to be suited for large monitor screens and use enhanced UI features to take advantage of the extra space. That would be awesome.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-22-14 12:54 AM
    B]I have posted this before, but please MOD do not delete this one! I have created mockups of my ideas and don't want them to get lost in a super old thread!
    [/B]

One thing I was just working on here was a design for the new OS. Would enhance the home screen and take away active frames as we know it, and turn them into interactive frames...

I JUST downloaded this program in order to create these mockups, so PLEASE do not insult or make fun of any mistakes or things that don't look right...this is more to give the idea of what I am thinking BlackBerry should modify the Active Frames to!
    The fact that is has 3 bars horizontal. Each having a different function. These could be the new "Interactive" Frames for 10.3.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Active Frame.jpg 
Views:	1582 
Size:	399.8 KB 
ID:	257080

Instead of the app name on the side like in mock it, it would be at the bottom of the bar, maybe separated like it is now in the current active frames (separated for a reason as I will explain). The home screen will show 3 on a screen at a time with the 4th slightly showing through the bottom (very faint look to the 4th). This 4th one will be BEHIND the current navigation pane for quick jumping between app pages, and hub and home screen.

Now the frames will be larger than what we have now, so more information can be displayed. I picture more cycling between information on apps, and not as static of an experience. Lets say for example you have your Music app open. The app will display the album cover in the frame, again faintly in the background with the song title upfront, artist...and possibly other pieces of information. Now to become interactive, users will simply press and hold...picture the gestures from the photo app (you take a photo, drag the thumbnail of the photo up and into a share/delete function and done!) so this will be similar, you will press and hold and very quickly options will pop up...Music options could include, Play/Pause, Next/Back, Shuffle, Repeat. They will function the same as the photo example I mentioned. You press and hold and move up to next, and the song will switch. See mockup below

Name:	Active Frame copy 2.jpg 
Views:	1572 
Size:	396.7 KB 
ID:	257083 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Active Frame copy 3.jpg 
Views:	1572 
Size:	407.0 KB 
ID:	257082

Same features go for all applications...pictures can allow you to change the cycle time so it will be a slideshow of pictures and you control if pictures change every minute, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, never, etc.

I could go on and on with each apps functions but I won't.
    Now the app when you swipe up won't instantly change to the next page like it currently does...i find thats not as interactive. So it will move with your finger, you move it slightly and it will only move a bit as well...

Now for closing the frames, lets take out the "X" as that is not modern design! So we will take that out and make it a swipe to the left. This will throw it off the screen and poof gone! and an undo button will pop up briefly...if you touch anywhere else the undo button will immediately go away so as to not interfere with the user. (after 2 uses the user will know how this works!) and then on an app, a swipe to the right will pin the app to the spot it is current in! See mockups below

Name:	Active Frame 4.jpg 
Views:	1573 
Size:	323.8 KB 
ID:	257085 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Active Frame 5.jpg 
Views:	1569 
Size:	334.6 KB 
ID:	257084

You can rearrange these apps by when you press and hold the app "Title", for example...MUSIC...and dragging it around to where you want it...think of BlackBerry Express how you can drag around the tiles. See mockups below

Name:	Active Frame copy 6.jpg 
Views:	1568 
Size:	395.9 KB 
ID:	257087 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Active Frame copy 7.jpg 
Views:	1560 
Size:	393.2 KB 
ID:	257086

Now the final awesome feature is pinch to enlarge!

Lets stick with music app...we are using it and we want more functionality, basically a full app...now what you can do is to resize the app is just Pinch to Zoom (fingers together and then separate). This will basically just blow up the app you do this gesture on...it will show you where it will resize too...if you move slightly it will show a shaded outline that it will double in size (same size as 2 active frames - basically being 2/3 of screen)...if you go all the way, it will open the frame within the entire home screen. See mockups below of gesture, 2/3 screen and full screen active frames!

*Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Active Frame copy 8.jpg 
Views:	1560 
Size:	402.1 KB 
ID:	257091 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Active Frame copy 9.jpg 
Views:	1557 
Size:	430.0 KB 
ID:	257090

Name:	Active Frame copy 10.jpg 
Views:	1554 
Size:	437.3 KB 
ID:	257089 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Active Frame copy 11.jpg 
Views:	1545 
Size:	293.6 KB 
ID:	257088

The beauty of this is that you can still scroll the home screen because all this is is an enlarged frame! See below for mockup of how apps still show up under the full screen active frame

Name:	Active Frame copy 12.jpg 
Views:	1535 
Size:	336.9 KB 
ID:	257094

Another thing I would like to say is that for messaging, lets say you have BBM open and you receive a message. The message you receive will show up on the frame, and due to the size and it being the width of the screen, it will show the entire message, unless it is extremely long! Now you can press and hold like before and these messaging apps will give you the option to reply from frame! Just press hold, move to reply...then just start replying and send!

To give a design cue for the pop up when you press and hold...I will use Pinterest app as an example...when you press and hold a pin you like, it will pop up with options to interact with the pin, that is how these options would pop up in the active frames.

Anyways this is an idea I had and would be flat and minimalistic yet still can follow many many BB10 design cues. Again I would like to state this is my first time EVER using a photoshop type program, and I am actually just using it on a trial which shows how new I am with this stuff...I hope the mockups look nice enough for the critics here in CrackBerry (I am on of those critics...and I think for a first time I did a decent job here!)

Anyways let me know what you all think, this is a long post but a LOT of time went into developing the mockups and the idea as a whole, so please be gentle with me if you don't like it!

2 things to add...1) It OBVIOUSLY would allow for landscape view! all same principles apply in landscape mode, but it will only show TWO frames instead of 3. 2) The black colour was the default of choice to make it easier for the mockups...the colours will definitely be dependant upon the users background! and each app will have different colour schemes...like FaceBook would be blue...Vine --> green, etc. To keep it flat, there will never be gradients.
    Its really Creative congrats for this work

Good job

Posted via CB10
    03-22-14 01:11 AM
    Remins me of High Contrast Black, back when XP was still used by me. Very Retro.

I'd LOVE to see a windows 98 styled theme.
    04-07-14 09:18 PM