My BB Z10 was stolen. Is there any ways to trace the phone? I used BlackBerry Protect but failed. I just wiped my phone and borrowed the phone to a friend. I think he didn't login to the Blackberry Protect. Can I find it using PIN? Thanks for help in advance!
    03-20-14 07:35 AM
    Only bet if you don't have a 'locate my device' app running is BlackBerry protect.
    GPS might be disabled or the phone might just be switched off. Try again later and see if it locates it then.

Call your carrier to block the IMEI number so the phone will be useless.
    03-20-14 08:02 AM
    My BB Z10 was stolen. Is there any ways to trace the phone? I used BlackBerry Protect but failed. I just wiped my phone and borrowed the phone to a friend. I think he didn't login to the Blackberry Protect. Can I find it using PIN? Thanks for help in advance!
    If you wiped it before giving it to him them all setting restore to default. Including protect.

If your friend didn't turn it on, then unfortunately you both are out of luck.

Best you can hope for is someone finds it and gets it back to you.

Worst case scenario....your friend goes and buys a new phone.

Posted on a Post-It!
    03-20-14 08:12 AM
    Only bet if you don't have a 'locate my device' app running is BlackBerry protect.
    GPS might be disabled or the phone might just be switched off. Try again later and see if it locates it then.

Call your carrier to block the IMEI number so the phone will be useless.
    No, I dont have any apps besides BB Protect. Ok, thanks for reminding, will call the carrier.
    03-20-14 08:12 AM
    If you wiped it before giving it to him them all setting restore to default. Including protect.

If your friend didn't turn it on, then unfortunately you both are out of luck.

Best you can hope for is someone finds it and gets it back to you.

Worst case scenario....your friend goes and buys a new phone.

Posted on a Post-It!
    Yes, that was my initial thought because everything was reset to default. Too bad! What a bad day!
    03-20-14 08:21 AM
    Yes, that was my initial thought because everything was reset to default. Too bad! What a bad day!
    Sorry to hear about the loss.

I went thru a similar issue a while back.

That's why the first thing I do is set up protect.
    Then a device password. Even if you use the simple pass word.

Some people don't like the extra 2 seconds it takes to unlock the phone but the inconvenience of that two seconds could be the difference between a phone that's locked and recoverable, or one that had been picked up and wiped.

Posted on a Post-It!
    03-20-14 10:00 AM
    If a phone is stolen (as opposed to lost) it's pretty much gone. Even if the thief turns on the phone and appears on Protect, going after a crook for the sake of a phone is pretty lame. As mentioned you should always have a device lock in place, as well as a SIM lock. You have to report the IMEI number as stolen AND call your carrier to deactivate your SIM... or they can stick it into another phone and start calling all their friends.
    03-20-14 10:27 AM
    So basically , to locate the phone , one must have : location turned on , and internet turned on ? Its basically bs , cause i don't use the location services like ...ever , and i always turn off my internet connection when im done using it. It never ends up being on in pocket and just wasting the battery....:/
    Its kinda highly unlikely that the crook would turn on the location and wifi after stealing the phone tho.
    03-20-14 11:16 AM
    So basically , to locate the phone , one must have : location turned on , and internet turned on ? Its basically bs , cause i don't use the location services like ...ever , and i always turn off my internet connection when im done using it. It never ends up being on in pocket and just wasting the battery....:/
    Its kinda highly unlikely that the crook would turn on the location and wifi after stealing the phone tho.
    If your locations are ON, all he would have to do is connect to cell data. That's why it's best to have a device + SIM lock in place.
    03-20-14 11:32 AM
    If your locations are ON, all he would have to do is connect to cell data. That's why it's best to have a device + SIM lock in place.
    I don't have any reason to keep the location services turned on (except for the bb protect). Do the location services drain battery faster?
    Anyways even if they are on , and someone gets the phone somehow , they would need to get pass the password protect , to turn on internet i guess?
    03-20-14 01:01 PM