Hi ladies and gents! I'd like opinions on the Playbook. I had always wanted one when they first came out but never did take the plunge. My significant other currently has an iPad Air, and I'm not the biggest fan but I'm beginning to talk myself into "needing" a tablet for myself. Naturally, I thought of the Playbook. I haven't even seen one in person! Are they still available for purchase brand new? Is it worth getting one? What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance! Cheers.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-14 01:04 PM
    Try reading this thread.
    03-19-14 01:34 PM
    Thank you!

Posted via CB10
    03-19-14 01:39 PM
    Shall I chime in here? I've got a 64GB WIFI model and it's great for what I intended to use it for. That's just it though, we're in 2014 and it's only good for my intended use. I bought one knowing full well what the limitations are, and never expected it to do what a new tablet with up to date operating system can do. I feel if you buy into one expecting it to be all singing and dancing you will be disappointed.

This is my view of course, but the plus points for me are:
    - Build quality. A playbook feels very solid and premium.
    - Battery Life. It gets through a day, easy.
    - Sound Quality (via Newtron especially). Nothing short of outstanding, whether using built in speakers or headphones.
    - Video Quality. Same as above.
    - Mass Storage. It appears as a USB flash drive on a computer to easily install media on it, or a wireless drive if you want to do it over WIFI and ditch the cable. No software needed.

The biggest niggles for me with it:
    - BlackBerry. This tablet software is not likely to get any more major updates.
    - Sideloading. Easy to do via DDPB to install apps. Sadly, even those apps (they are Android ones) may not work because Android runtime on the PB have not been updated in ages.
    - Bluetooth. You can't use it to send files from one device to another.
    - Browser. Basically, it's slow. Origami is a 3rd party browser you can install, but it's only marginally faster.

I'm going to make a special mention here about BlackBerry Bridge. If you don't know what it does, search this sites. It used to be amazing, but in my experience with it, your best off leaving it out if your BlackBerry Phone uses BB10 OS. It's quite pathetic IMO how it works today on the new phones.

Finally, performance and use. Given its low spec in today's world, it generally performs smoothly. Things slow up just a touch if you have several apps open at the same time and this feature called "Showcase" is enabled. This mode basically keeps all open programs running even if you are not using them. Depending on what your doing, sometimes Showcase needs to be on otherwise the default behaviour is to suspend apps that are not in focus. Sometimes that behaviour is less than ideal, but not a biggie. I only mentioned this because the PlayBook's that have LTE support have a faster processor in them compared to the ones with just WIFI (like mine). So logically, this showcase feature should run a little smoother on them ones. Also get one with the 64GB space, it will be a must if you want to fill it with music, movies and videos like I have - most I've seen are that big anyway so you might as well.

Hope this helps???
    03-19-14 03:20 PM
    glg, that is one outstanding review!
    03-19-14 03:37 PM
    YES, thank you for chiming in! Your thorough review helps a lot as I'm open to as many opinions possible...especially current users who still use their Playbook. I was looking into one strictly for personal use e.g. browsing, watching videos, e-books, school docs and/or pdfs. I would mainly use it to pass the time during travel and break periods. Of course, I don't expect it to replace a laptop. It just seems like a more affordable option to bring to school for browsing and reading files as opposed to buying a new lightweight laptop. Also, I simply had always wanted one but couldn't afford one back when they were first released.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-14 04:51 PM
    That's ok, thanks both. :-) I'm using mine almost exclusively for media on the move every day. I use trains a lot, so music, movies and music videos cramming every area of its 60GB usable space is the order of the day.

There's a Kindle app you can sideload for books, or just move them from your pc. There's built in (basic) readers and editors for DOC and XLS files. There is a PDF reader built in, so your also good there. Do you need email? That's not too bad with the bigger screen compared to using the phone. It's an easy size to carry all day, and has decent battery life - you could be on it all day and it's still going. You can also use the Web Browser, but may require a degree of patience with it - BB10 browser it isn't...

...Which is why my Z10 is better in every other way outside of media consumption. I will use that for browsing, tweeting and apps as a preference. I leave bridge open on the Z10 to purely share the phones LTE connection with the PB (like I said, Bridge is really, really broken on BB10) if I'm out of WIFI and want to watch YouTube or something without hammering the phone battery - but that's a separate, well talked about matter elsewhere on this site... ;-)

Mines having a happy life still, and is here right now after a days work still rocking music over bluetooth:
    Is it worth buying one?-img_20140319_230613.jpg

And with a quarter of its battery left after coming off charge at about 6 this morning, with heavy, frequent use all day:
    Is it worth buying one?-img_20140319_230842.jpg

Take that iPad... ;-)

Awesome Z10 on Three. BBM 2B80D5C2 or Tweet @geekl33tgamer :-)
    Johberry likes this.
    03-19-14 06:09 PM
    Yes, I will definitely be using email as well. By chance, would you say it's worth it to add carrier service for it? Obvs, if I'm in places that don't have Wifi..could be a problem unless I had a line. My significant other added his iToy Air an another line so that he would have internet wherever. Shouldn't/couldn't I just bridge the Playbook to my Q10 for such service? I'd like to know how that all works.

Your input has helped with my decision. I'm happy to report that I will be getting a Playbook in the next few months...probably as an early bday present. I told my DB that I wanted a tablet and was looking into Playbook, and he offered to get it for me, yay.

Anyways, I appreciate your input. Cheers.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-14 12:28 PM
    I'm glad I can be of some use, and glad to see you'll be getting one. :-) To help with your other questions, I will be as honest as possible. You see, you mentioned Bridge and a BlackBerry 10 device in the same sentence - oh dear...

...I don't know where to begin with this one. To explain what Bridge does firstly, as concept is sound in theory. Bridge is unique, as it uses Bluetooth to connect to BlackBerry phone. Once connected the phones SMS, BBM, Calendar, Contacts, Email and data connection are pulled forward to the PlayBook's. The settings stay on the phone for all of this - but when you get a message your notified on the PB and can view and reply right off the tablet seamlessly. It WAS neat.

Fast forward to 2013 when BB10 OS was released to the masses, and Bridge is now so screwed up when used with a Z10/30 or Q5/10 its a joke and was the breaking point for many a PlayBook user. It is STILL not fixed over a year later. Bridge will now connect to BBM (but no groups, channels or pictures/video), SMS sometimes and it will automatically use the phones data connection to get online.

By now, your probably thinking that's no biggie, and have probably seen about the internet connection sharing aspect. This is something I find useful, and as you have asked about needing data in the move you might also find it useful. It's certainly a unique way to get online with the PB, but there's some things to note seeing as you have a BB10 phone too.

Firstly, you'll need tethering included with your cell carrier. Then you'll need generous data or keep an eye on it - once bridge is connected on a BB10 phone, it automatically pulls the internet connection up. You can't stop it doing this like on older BB phones, so keep an eye on it. Lastly, because Bridge is in such a state, some PB apps (such as BlackBerry World, Facebook) don't realise you've tethered your connection via bridge and say your offline. If you open up browser or YouTube for example it works, so your connected. Other apps will only recognise connection over WIFI. It's annoying and never used to be like this, but never mind.

So there. You can get online with the PB using your Q10 with bridge - but hey, if you have a tethering plan then why not just use the Wireless Hotspot feature instead? I find it a lot faster on my Z10.

You might want a PB with LTE built in, but they come with smaller storage capacity AFAIK (32GB Max). They do have a faster processor over the WIFI ones though, so that may be a better plus over the smaller storage. They are rare where I am though, as the LTE one was my preference purely for the faster processor. I couldn't ever find one so gave up. ;-)
    03-21-14 01:18 PM
    If your going to do much browsing be prepared to be frustrated. Otherwise, it's OK if you don't expect much.
    03-21-14 01:40 PM
    If your going to do much browsing be prepared to be frustrated. Otherwise, it's OK if you don't expect much.
    Yeah, think I mentioned somewhere earlier that browsing the Web on it requires a degree of patience. Its not like the browser on BB10, not even close...

...But Web use probably isn't his (or my) primary use for it. For videos, music and documents it's more than good enough. Battery life isn't too shabby neither... ;-)

The power of 10: CB10, Z10. BBM 2B80D5C2.
    castoridae likes this.
    03-21-14 01:47 PM
    If that's all you plan for it's use, vids, and music, basically a time killer, you can find them cheap. Get the 64 gb. Amyzon has the
    64gb for about 150/160 bucks NEW.

c
    03-21-14 02:23 PM
    I love this tablet. No other tablet out there has managed to capture my attention. Just quality and very well executed device. However, I would have told you to keep looking if there was no updates to follow but it seems there is an update due really soon and that makes it a steal of a deal. One feature that's really nice is the printtogo software that complements the tablet.
    jtv1 likes this.
    03-21-14 06:05 PM
    Hello all! I am also looking to get a BlackBerry PB, possible 4g version. I was wondering what exactly makes the browser bad on PB. The YouTube videos I have seen make the browser look fine, as pages seem to render quickly and everything seems snappy. Any insights into the browser negatives? Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    03-21-14 08:56 PM
    First of all, thanks all for your advice, but oh man, now I'm even more confused. Unfortunately, I don't have a tethering plan and because I have an unlimited data plan, I can't set up a mobile hotspot with my phone. My mobile hotspot situation is so stupid. AT&T requires you to have a mobile share plan or DataPro 5 GB plan in order to use the hotspot feature. UGH. So ridiculous. If I'm only able to use internet via Wifi, then I might have to reconsider. I am curious about the LTE version mentioned as that is what my DB is doing with his iPad and iPhone...he added another line and did a data plan for his iPad. I wonder if it would be worth it for me to do this with a Playbook? I have only seen Wifi versions online, are LTE ones even available for sale? I'm so confused as to what I should do now. Help!

Posted via CB10
    03-21-14 09:59 PM
    Amazon.com has 4G LTE ones available. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005MF...UvbUpU10152299

Posted via CB10
    Johberry likes this.
    03-23-14 12:02 AM
    Yes, I saw that. Just placed my order today, so excited! Should get here within a week.

I almost want to go to the AT&T store and get my microSIM card for it already, ha ha.

Accessories recommendations?

Posted via CB10
    03-23-14 12:55 PM
    I bought one yesterday too lol. I picked up the convertible case and the $4 add on item for the journal case. I also picked up a Bell (Canadian carrier) sim card from Ebay for $3...I think i'll need this for the OTA updates. I'd recommend Rogers, Telus or Bell, as they seem to be the primary carriers in Canada.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-14 02:10 PM
    Yes, I saw that. Just placed my order today, so excited! Should get here within a week.

I almost want to go to the AT&T store and get my microSIM card for it already, ha ha.

Accessories recommendations?

Posted via CB10
    Was about to say, seeing as your in the US, the 4G PlayBook should have been a lot easier to find than it ever was over here!

Sucks that US cell operators are so stingy with tethering. Almost all carriers here by comparison will give it to you for free on a contract plan.

You'll enjoy your new toy when it arrives, just be sure to update its OS right away. As for accessories, I'm not use - My one rolls around "naked" every day.

The PB is quite tough imo, so I felt covers and all that are not such a priority. I've seen a nice docking cradle for them, but at the time of writing this found none online anywhere.
    03-23-14 04:13 PM
    I am so excited for it to arrive. I emailed the seller via Amazon about their expedited shipping because I want it ASAP so I can take advantage of the $100 credit AT&T promotion when you add another line as it ends on the 31st. I was informed it will arrive in 2 days, yay! Also, I placed a bid on a Blackberry mini keyboard, and I hope I get it.

Again, I really appreciated everyone's responses. Cheers.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-14 09:11 PM
    Did you use the same seller that I provided the link for? It appears that seller is in Canada, but Amazon indicated delivery would be between 2-6 days...Soooo maybe i'll get mine in two days, since I chose expedited also! The standard shipping stated 7-11 days. I was also considering the BT KB. I saw an ebay posting I'm watching LOL. Hope it's not the same one you bid on haha. There's a few on Amazon too.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-14 10:38 PM
    Yes, I did. I looked up the company and it appears they are based in VA, which is how I'm assuming they're able to ship so soon.

As for the keyboard, I opted to get one for school use mostly instead of buying a new laptop. Amazon sellers are asking ridiculous prices for a new one...as much as the playbook itself! I suppose it is to be expected since production has been discontinued, I assume. I've PMed a fellow forum member but was too impatient for a response, so I figured...for a few more dollars, why not purchase a brand new one. If I don't don't win the one I bid on...I dunno what I'm gonna do as I refuse to pay $150+ for a keyboard even if it is brand new in the box. I'm a broke college student!

Posted via CB10
    03-23-14 10:51 PM
    I understand being on a budget; not to mention considering how old the hardware and software is!

For some reason I thought A-1 Wireless was from Canada, but perhaps I got the vendor confused, since I purchased multiple PB items recently.

That KB is ridiculously priced. My old lap top has not functioned consistently in years, and I hate being tied to my desktop. I figured a tablet would be convenient, and the KB would be a plus...I've read pros and cons about it though. if the price is right, I may still get one.

What made you decide to get the 4G PB model? I opted for it because of the faster processor, and slightly improved hardware (power button raised), NFC capabilities (if ever unlocked and/or BB10 comes to the PB). I wish it came in a 64g model though, since the 32g 4G is about $100 more than the 64g wifi-only...guess we can't have it all!

Posted via CB10
    03-24-14 12:39 AM
    I had to get the cellular capable model because my carrier does not allow me to tether or set up a mobile hotspot with my phone due to my unlimited data plan. Stupid, but that is an entirely other topic. I want to be able to have internet access wherever I go, so the 4G/LTE model allows me to add a data plan. I agree and wish they had made a cellular 64GB model but what can I do...until Blackberry decides to come out with a new tablet which I doubt.

It may sound a little extreme to add a data plan, but it's worth it as I foresee myself using the Playbook a lot. Like yourself, I will be using it as a mobile makeshift laptop, granted I get the keyboard. I do own a laptop, but it's too heavy for me to lug around at school. Also, the Playbook will be nice for watching media and accessing school sites. I'm blind as a bad and browsing on my Q10 does get a little tiring on my eyes esp with sites that aren't mobile friendly.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-14 01:30 AM
    Exactly! Makes perfect sense! I have an unltd data plan through sprint -- I'm sure they have a similar policy, although I haven't researched it. I plan on just sticking to the wifi initially, but it's nice to have the 4g option.

It seems like you are thinking just like I was, and we have a lot in common! I have aa Q10 also, and figured that the playbook would be an awesome complement with the bigger wcreen size, and added functionality (bridge) with BlackBerry phones!

Posted via CB10
    03-24-14 01:38 AM
72 123