Open thread, for both points of view...

It's curious to me that BlackBerry continues to be such a talking point in media. The scuttlebutt seems to be that BlackBerry is DONE, a failure, etc... YET, it still seems to be a major newsmaker....

GIven that Apple, Samsung and Google own the majority of the consumer market, WHY is BlackBerry even in the news anymore?
    CDM76 and Spencerdl like this.
    03-16-14 07:03 PM
    Because its not positive. It's like gossip. People share the negative stuff more than they share the positive.

And BlackBerry was once the king in the industry.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-14 07:12 PM
    Because they make a greay product and people still like them, that's why. I personally came from an iPhone 5s and IOS and the BlackBerry gives me a superb messaging and social media machine.

Every time I demo the great features of the OS to Apple and Android folks, they are all amazed at how the device performs. As usual, they won't give up their devices because they are afraid of change, no problem, there loss, my gain.

Posted using my z10 (10.2.1.2156) on T Mobile USA
    Exactly. Isn't most news bad?

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    Because they make a greay product and people still like them, that's why. I personally came from an iPhone 5s and IOS and the BlackBerry gives me a superb messaging and social media machine.

Every time I demo the great features of the OS to Apple and Android folks, they are all amazed at how the device performs. As usual, they won't give up their devices because they are afraid of change, no problem, there loss, my gain.

Afraid of change? Really?

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    03-16-14 07:13 PM
    Open thread, for both points of view...

It's curious to me that BlackBerry continues to be such a talking point in media. The scuttlebutt seems to be that BlackBerry is DONE, a failure, etc... YET, it still seems to be a major newsmaker....

GIven that Apple, Samsung and Google own the majority of the consumer market, WHY is BlackBerry even in the news anymore?
    Cause whether the media admits it or not they have 2 competing interests.

1) they like to kick people while their down

2) everybody loves an Underdog

Plus Chen has pulled off serious feats with other companies and has major contacts to pull this off. Additionally, despite the negative press I think a lot of the media wants to see BlackBerry succeed.

But that's just my 2cents.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-14 07:16 PM

I switched from iPhone and iOS as well and was pleasantly surprised. I love the messaging features on BlackBerry.
    Thanks for the open thread and nice photo.

Blackberry phones are the best communications devices in the world. Better phone call quality, better reception, more secure messaging/encryption, better keyboards. They're for people who get things done and for people who don't sit on the couch aimlessly scrolling through useless apps, wasting their time on nothing important at all.

Google and Apple have sucked the majority of the market into a trance. They need these apps and they're so integrated into the consumer's life that they can't do without them - all to further the goals of Google and Apple, no matter how nefarious those goals may be.

People still discuss Blackberry because it's still an important part of the communications picture. I'm glad that it's still around to give the option of superior communication to people who can still think for themselves.
    Afraid of change? Really?

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    Regardless of platform, most people are afraid of change. IE. If it works, don't change... Why is that surprising?
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    03-16-14 07:18 PM

Blackberry phones are the best communications devices in the world. Better phone call quality, better reception, more secure messaging/encryption, better keyboards. They're for people who get things done and for people who don't sit on the couch aimlessly scrolling through useless apps, wasting their time on nothing important at all.

Google and Apple have sucked the majority of the market into a trance. They need these apps and they're so integrated into the consumer's life that they can't do without them - all to further the goals of Google and Apple, no matter how nefarious those goals may be.

People still discuss Blackberry because it's still an important part of the communications picture. I'm glad that it's still around to give the option of superior communication to people who can still think for themselves.
    What a bunch of rubbish. BB10 is still developing. Mocking other devices doesn't make it better.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-16-14 07:19 PM

As a former iPhone user, I agree completely about the phone call quality. It's amazing, and I couldn't contemplate going back.
    acovey and maddie1128 like this.
    03-16-14 07:20 PM
    Regardless of platform, most people are afraid of change. IE. If it works, don't change... Why is that surprising?
    Because, most likely, people aren't switching because what they have works. Its as simple as that.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    It's all because BlackBerry has been dying all these years. However, it still is not dead today.

No matter how hard they try to kill, it just won't die!
    acovey and kbz1960 like this.
    Because the company is still very much alive, despite reports that it's been dead going on three years now.

BlackBerry has become the punching bag of the tech industry. Got nothing to write about? Do a hit piece on BlackBerry. It'll attract BlackBerry haters, saying how the company is dead and it'll attract BlackBerry fans refuting it all the way.

It's much like this thread, you chose the title carefully and you know it will attract attention. You also know that despite it all, BlackBerry is still very very relevant to the world.
    03-16-14 07:21 PM
    Because the company is still very much alive, despite reports that it's been dead going on three years now.
    Exactly. It was once #1 so as long as its breathing it will be in the news.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    03-16-14 07:22 PM
    What part of what I said is rubbish and where did I mock another device?
    What a bunch of rubbish. BB10 is still developing. Mocking other devices doesn't make it better.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    The voice reception is exceptional imo. I've used Android and Apple phones by comparison.

As for BB10 being a developing OS, you're absolutely right.

Just like Android and iiOS deserved a grace period to mature, so does BB10. It's already a great OS, just imagine a year from now.
    acovey likes this.
    Because the company is still very much alive, despite reports that it's been dead going on three years now. BlackBerry has become the punching bag of the tech industry. Got nothing to write about? Do a hit piece on BlackBerry. It'll attract BlackBerry haters, saying how the company is dead and it'll attract BlackBerry fans refuting it all the way.
    Nobody ever got fired for criticizing IBM BlackBerry...
    03-16-14 07:23 PM
    As a former iPhone user, I agree completely about the phone call quality. It's amazing, and I couldn't contemplate going back.
    Same. Agreed.
    03-16-14 07:24 PM
    The voice reception is exceptional imo. I've used Android and Apple phones by comparison.

As for BB10 being a developing OS, you're absolutely right.

Just like Android and iiOS deserved a grace period to mature, so does BB10. It's already a great OS, just imagine a year from now.
    Until they develop further without the aid of Android apps I won't take them serious. I believe it will take longer than a year for that but you never know.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    03-16-14 07:24 PM

Posted via my Nexus 10.

Not posted with my Nexus 10.
    Andy_bb_king and Dave Bourque like this.
    03-16-14 07:25 PM
    And the media continues to be fascinated by the company. Curious, no?

Why waste airtime / print on a dead company?
    03-16-14 07:25 PM
    Until they develop further without the aid of Android apps I won't take them serious. I believe it will take longer than a year for that but you never know.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    The OS is light years ahead of Android.

The "Android Apps" thing is just for consumer appeal and has nothing to do with the OS overall. It's significantly better than KitKat already.
    03-16-14 07:27 PM
    Also....

I can see right now people's feelings are going to be hurt in this thread and some people will flip off at the lips so... that said, I kindly remind everyone to uhh... you know... NOT do that. I will not be warning folks again, you're all grown ups here.. play nice, use the report post buttons and first and foremost, be a decent human being.
    03-16-14 07:27 PM
    "They're for people who get things done and don't sit on the couch playing with useless apps.......etc, etc, etc."

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    03-16-14 07:29 PM
135 123 ...