Hey gang,

I did something on Friday, either downloaded a bad android app OR I downloaded a PDF file - that's all I can think of that basically got a malware. I have tried using Max Mobile Security and Secure AntiVirus Pro - Max Security didn't find anything. Basically, the malware just eats up space to the point where it gives me hundred notifications that Device Storage is almost out. If I leave the wifi 4G - then it eats it up completely. I deleted a ton of apps - and it just ate the device memory up completely. If I turn the radio's off to airplane mode - all seems to be good - the memory holds - but that would give me a paper weight. Thoughts? Do I wipe it? If I wipe it - will it remove the virus? If I restore from BlackBerry Link - will that do the trick? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks.
    03-16-14 09:58 AM
    Have you tried restarting your device? There has never been 'malware' found on a BlackBerry 10 device.

If the notification about device storage is true, have you checked the available space on your phone? You might've stored a lot of media on it.

Posted via CB10 | Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1925
    03-16-14 09:59 AM
    Thanks - I have restarted a couple of times - complete shut down and restart. I have also removed the battery. I thought it might be an app that is stuck trying to work in the back ground - so I removed all apps that do that to my knowledge. I don't have a ton of media. You can literally see the phone fill up. I refresh the storage every minute and it goes from 13.0 to a minute later 13.1 gigs to 13.2. Yet, I have nothing running, no apps, nothing. If I let it go then I get the error in my notifications. Let me know your thoughts - help greatly appreciated. By the way - I'm running the latest OS and have been since it was released on Telus and this is the first issue I have ever had with my Z10 so it is out of character shall we say. The phone does heat up.
    03-16-14 10:20 AM
    Screen shots please

Posted via CB10
    03-16-14 10:21 AM
    Can you post a screenshot of the notifications you're getting?

Posted via CB10
    03-16-14 10:22 AM
    Here it is - Help Malware on Z10-img_20140316_082457.png
    03-16-14 10:28 AM
    I refresh the storage every minute and it goes from 13.0 to a minute later 13.1 gigs to 13.2
    Do you see this in Settings > Storage and Access > Device Storage Details?

Could you post a screenshot of Settings > App Manager > Device Monitor > Storage?

--------------------

Screen Timeout app - keep your BB10 screen awake as long as you need
    03-16-14 10:31 AM
    That's Not malware. People have posted those same screenshots long time ago. It has to do with your storage space.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using CB Forums mobile app
    03-16-14 11:37 AM
    Problem now posting from computer - what the heck. So here is the screen grab requested. Help Malware on Z10-img_20140316_141202.png
    03-16-14 04:39 PM
    It would have been interesting to know how much space is taken by "System" and "Apps", respectively (just "loading" shown in the screenshot).

--------------------

03-16-14 04:45 PM
    You need to wait until everything loads while not allowing a screen timeout.

Anyway, you can always do a full system reload using BlackBerry Link. (Wipe doesn't download the full os)

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/b...ListHelperImpl

Attachment 255703

Posted by CB10.
    03-16-14 04:46 PM
    Under 1g free space yes you will receive this notification a lots of times and evertime you try to download something

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-16-14 04:47 PM
    It's probably not malware.

It's a runaway app (badly coded Android app, or conflicting with the runtime layer), or maybe the PDF contained something funky the built in Adobe Reader could not interpret. Maybe it's even Reader itself and you just discovered a bug!

"No Q10?" -> "Buy from Chen... "
    03-16-14 04:51 PM
    So since you guys have been replying, all I have been doing is doing screen shots - basically, see the photos attached - but without doing anything - the phone is fully loaded and nothing has been installed - I have gone from 11. 1 GB to 11. 2, to 11.9 to 12 and 12.1 GB being eaten up - it gets to 15.7 and basically the phone is dead. I'm down to about 12 apps and those are the BB pre-installed apps.Help Malware on Z10-img_20140316_144219.pngHelp Malware on Z10-img_20140316_144450.pngHelp Malware on Z10-img_20140316_144702.png
    03-16-14 04:53 PM
    Prem - I agree - I did to the Adobe Upgrade and opened some PDF files - mind you one was weirdly named. If I use Link to to a Restore - what is the outcome? Do you think this will clean it up? Thanks.
    03-16-14 04:55 PM
    Prem - I agree - I did to the Adobe Upgrade and opened some PDF files - mind you one was weirdly named. If I use Link to to a Restore - what is the outcome? Do you think this will clean it up? Thanks.
    Do an OS reload, not a restore.

--------------------

03-16-14 04:56 PM
    Reload from Link under Reload Device Software correct serbanescu? Thanks! Looks like I will do this and see what happens - will let you know the outcome later today. Thanks everyone.... unless anyone has any better ideas??
    03-16-14 04:58 PM

It's a runaway app (badly coded Android app, or conflicting with the runtime layer), or maybe the PDF contained something funky the built in Adobe Reader could not interpret. Maybe it's even Reader itself and you just discovered a bug!

"No Q10?" -> "Buy from Chen... "
    If it's a bad android app, he could try to stop it's process by taskmanager.

Check out TaskManager in BlackBerry World! You can find it at http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/23203885

Posted via CB10
    03-16-14 05:00 PM
    Reload from Link under Reload Device Software correct serbanescu? Thanks! Looks like I will do this and see what happens - will let you know the outcome later today. Thanks everyone.... unless anyone has any better ideas??
    Yes, in this way a fresh copy of the OS will be downloaded from BlackBerry servers. I don't know if you can do otherwise to solve the problem.

--------------------

03-16-14 05:00 PM
    Thanks GSM - would have like that info a little bit earlier -like by about 5 seconds! :-) Much appreciated
    03-16-14 05:06 PM
    If you suspect the Adobe Reader, try uninstalling it using e.g. Sachesi.
    Have you tried to see where the data is written to the local storage? This will probably help you identify the root cause.
    03-16-14 05:10 PM
    Thanks jpvj - how do you do look at the data being written to the local storage? I will have to investigate Sachesi later - wasn't aware of this. Someways it would be nice to have such a tool - is Sachesi something in BB World or a sideload? Thanks.
    03-16-14 05:20 PM
    Thanks jpvj - how do you do look at the data being written to the local storage? I will have to investigate Sachesi later - wasn't aware of this. Someways it would be nice to have such a tool - is Sachesi something in BB World or a sideload? Thanks.
    Sachesi is an application for your computer which provides more comprehensive tools to use with your BlackBerry 10 phone.

In regards with your issue, has it been resolved yet? Have you tried the OS reload via Link?

Sorry if I haven't replied for long.

Posted via Nexus 7 (2012) | Z10STL100-1 / 10.2.1.2141
    03-25-14 05:59 AM
    Basically, the malware just eats up space to the point where it gives me hundred notifications that Device Storage is almost out.
    If I wipe it - will it remove the virus?
    Malware and viruses are 2 totally separate terms that are often incorrectly co-mingled to mean the same thing.
    There has never been 'malware' found on a BlackBerry 10 device.
    Malware just means that there is a badly coded application or an application that has the potential to mine data. Mal=Bad
    Even an application that mines your data is NOT malware if it is doing what it is coded to do which is to mine data. It's working as intended.
    You have to learn to control the permissions provided to said applications.
    The correct assertion is that there are no known viruses that have been able to infect the BlackBerry OS.
    However, viruses can be transferred to and from your PC. Use the anti-virus application on your PC to scrub the drives on your device.
    It's a runaway app (badly coded Android app, or conflicting with the runtime layer).
    This actually the true definition of malware, and this just very well may be the case.

Viruses are a totally separate issue that can easily be handled by any PC anti-virus program.
    03-25-14 07:06 AM
    Thanks for the clarification. In my case, I believe it was a badly coded app - I have eliminated it down to the Webex app that runs in the background. The app, when connected to the internet was sucking down data and filling my device memory right up to the limit to where I couldn't use my phone. So it was an app that was causing bad stuff to happen to my phone. I don't think I referred to it as a virus - but then again - I didn't really know what was going on with the data - was is sending as well as receiving? I did run the BB Anti-virus programs and they basically got bogged down because the bad app was filling up the data SO fast that the Malware / Anti-vrus apps couldn't run and it was having to chew through a crap more data that the bad app was downloading. So what was supposed to take 8 hours of scanning turned into 48 hours of scanning and then it basically just died. So not having been through this before - it was kind of scary trying to get memory space while trying to keep a phone that I used for all my business - working. I didn't mean to scare anyone with the words malware - my sincere apologies.
    03-25-14 01:23 PM
29 12