Hi guys, hoping someone can help. I left my phone on the couch running Candy Crush and forgot about it for about an hour (bad move, always makes it run hot, like 45C if open for a while). I found my phone at 51C, the highest I've ever seen it, and the battery indicator was at about 15-20% (yellow...didn't check exact #). Immediately pulled the battery and put it in the fridge for about 5min. Both phone and battery were at much more reasonable temps, so I put it back in phone, it rebooted all the way to 100% normally...and then started again. It took over 10min to get to 98%. Pulled battery again, and it rebooted at normal speed but stayed on 100% without doing anything for about 15min. I tried the trick of pulling the battery and using the charger, but the red light flashed, Blackberry appeared, then a big no battery symbol appeared and screen went black. I removed the SIM and SD cards, reinserted the battery and it is again stuck at 100%, and getting warm. I have searched the forums...is trying to reload the OS my next option?
    03-15-14 12:40 PM
    In all likelihood, the battery may have suffered internal circuitry damage, which is the possible reason for the random start/fail loop. Can you take it in to your carrier and have them test it?
    03-15-14 01:07 PM
    I don't have a fix for your issues but for one you shouldn't be pulling the battery and especially that many times. Your Z isn't an old BBOS phone. Also you should not put it in the refrigerator. Hot to cold to warm = condensation. Water is bad. This is just my opinion.

I hope you get it all figured out. I'm sure someone will have a few ideas.
    03-15-14 01:14 PM
    Got around this issue by using a nondestructive autoloader (which allowed the phone to complete boot, but in a nearly unusable state). Power off the phone and charge it. When charging completes side loading the upgrade bars
    Note: the phone will run really slow, be patient. Sachesi will say no device connected, close sachesi and reopen and wait til it shows connected.

Side loading the upgrade bars kept stalling out... so what I did was sideload every bar that was <15mb and then loaded the bars >15mb.
    03-15-14 01:31 PM
    Thanks for the ideas. I don't normally pull the battery, but didn't see any other option and was trying to cool the battery as fast as possible to prevent damage. It has hung up on rebooting before once or twice, not quite 100% and pulling it got the phone to reboot properly so I figured it was worth a try. What is puzzling me is it will reboot fast to 100%, then start over, and go reeeeeeaaaaaally slow once it hits about 93%. This time around, it stuck at 99% for over 30min, and the LED started flashing as if I am receiving notifications (yellow, and green, which is email and text). Also, I have it plugged into the computer and I am able to access mass storage, but only through Wifi, so I am wondering if the phone itself is working in the background, but for whatever reason the home screen is failing to initialize. I have the phone sitting on a cold pack that does not have condensation, which is keeping the phone cool.

My other awesomely timed problem is my computer is almost unusable due to some unidentified malware that I am trying to fix, but one of the issues it's causing is the User Account Control screen freezes my entire computer after the screen goes dark and the button to run whatever program is clicked. (Windows Vista Home). I've only managed to get onto the internet about 3 times in a few hours trying to find a solution, and safe mode is not working - when I try to restart in safe mode, with networking or with command prompt, it resets itself to normal. So Sachesi being able to run is dubious at best. (I haven't used it much...how do I find a nondestructive autoloader?)

My husband has a z10 as well, but he is at work. I will try his battery when he gets home to see if it is just that the battery has been fried. I have an old Curve 8530 kicking around, so I am charging that, and may just have to switch to it for a few days.
    03-15-14 02:42 PM
    I've seen this "stick it in the fridge" technique mentioned before. But isn't it basically as bad as sticking the battery in a glass of water to cool it.

Hot battery/phone introduced to cold environment = condensation.... if that's not then evaporated before you switch back on then surely it's highly likely to cause damage?

Personally I'd stick the lot in a bag with a handful of rice and place it near a warm source to remove any moisture.... but if the damage is already done all you'll end up with is a very dry phone and some inedible rice.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-14 02:58 PM
    In hindsight, you're right, I shouldn't have stuck it in the fridge, I just panicked. I was concerned about the damage the high temps were doing or going to do to my phone. It was only in for 5 min, and wrapped in a cloth, so I do not know how cold it actually got. When I pulled it out, it was a bit warmer than usual to touch, but again, I have no idea the actual temperature it was. I'd say 30-35C.

My husband came home from work, so I tried his battery, and it did the exact same thing. Booted once normally, restarted and hung on 99%, so it is likely that the phone itself is fried. I will try using rice, but I suspect it's already too late. Painful lesson learned I suppose.

On a happier note, I managed to turn off User Account Control, so I am able to start fixing my computer. If the rice does work, I should be able to at least try reloading the OS.
    03-15-14 04:22 PM
    In all likelihood, the battery may have suffered internal circuitry damage, which is the possible reason for the random start/fail loop. Can you take it in to your carrier and have them test it?
    I may do that. But having tested it with my husbands battery, it seems it is the phone. And I have 23mos to go on one of the last 3yr contracts, so quite a bit of a balance to pay off before I can get another phone on contract. I do have a Curve to use, but it's battery is almost spent. At least a new battery will solve that problem.
    03-15-14 04:28 PM
    Try reloading the OS. Had the same issue on a previous OS though not caused by the same set of circumstances and only a reload solved it.
    03-15-14 05:49 PM
    For r computer download malware bytes anti malware http://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/

You'll need to use the Internet to update it once
    Do a quick scan and remove all threats, then do a deep scan

You r phone doesn't have water damage.. -_-
    It's a software issue lol..

Post back if you have problems finding a nondestructive autoloader
    03-15-14 06:04 PM
    For r computer download malware bytes anti malware Malwarebytes : Thank you for download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

You'll need to use the Internet to update it once
    Do a quick scan and remove all threats, then do a deep scan

You r phone doesn't have water damage.. -_-
    It's a software issue lol..

Post back if you have problems finding a nondestructive autoloader
    I already have Malwarebytes installed, and lots of experience with malware lol...but thanks for the tip. Definitely a good place to start for a newbie Computer is running much better already. Just not fun trying to deal with that on top of a phone issue.

I put the phone and battery in rice for the last while for the heck of it, and was about to transfer my data to the Curve but decided to give it one last shot. I had the SIM and SD cards already taken out. It loaded fast, all the way to the homescreen...and then went black. Took out battery to reinsert SIM, rebooted...it went through the cycle twice, but did bring up the homescreen again. Very laggy at first, but running well now. I'm going to delete a few apps, and do a backup since I may need to reload the OS anyway. But thanks for all your help everyone
    Deanig_12 likes this.
    03-15-14 06:40 PM
    Glad it's sprang back into life.

Posted via CB10
    bassicmama likes this.
    03-16-14 10:30 AM
    I advise u after fixing it dont run android apps it messup with the device as u can see

Posted via CB10
    03-16-14 10:33 AM
    I agree! I'm definitely pared down on the number installed now...just not worth losing a phone over. Trying out the Web browser for some things as well. I ended up reloading the OS thru Link and it's running really well. Phew!

Posted via CB10
    xales likes this.
    03-16-14 08:18 PM