Two weeks ago today I was forced to send my Z10 in for repair :< (headphone jack stopped working). So without a primary phone, I decided to pick up a Lumia 520. What? Yes. For those who don't know the Lumia 520 is a very popular low-end Windows Phone device that runs the latest and greatest software Microsoft and Nokia have to offer (Lumia Black update). It's difficult to compare the hardware because the Z10 is superior in every way. They are clearly in different hardware tiers. Instead this post is about my experiences with WP8 after departing BB10.

So, what are my impressions of WP8?
    - It's stupid easy to pick up and use. Interface is clearly made for mass adoption
    - I thought the OS and app design language is modern and elegant... really... It's a very pleasant OS to use
    - Microsoft Office suite is unbelievably good. Lightning fast. Sexy. Sync'd thru cloud.
    - Nokia apps are also impressive. Not to be underestimated.
    - App ecosystem is decent, but clearly still struggling. They had more AAA apps. And those apps were all native and followed WP8 design language. This is pretty big, I'm used to AAA apps being android ports :/
    - When an app has been idle for a while it goes into a sleep-state (don't know what it's actually called). When you reopen the app, the OS throws a splash screen up that says "resuming" and it takes a second or two to load back up. I enjoy the visual feedback.

Ok, so far I've only mentioned what I liked. Next on the list...
    - This OS is pretty much the anti-power user. Not because it's not fast or efficient (it can be!). But because there are so few ways to customize. I believe MS made trade-offs here and decided to use the keep it dead simple approach.
    - In order to get notifications from an app, it has to be pinned to your start screen. This is lackluster but still usable because most of your important apps will be pinned to start anyways. BB10 Hub, as we all know, blows this out of the water.
    - Keyboard is a step back compared to BB10. My muscle memory still swipes back to delete a word. Doh. That is such a killer feature. Also two finger swipe down to dismiss. Joy.

Alright. So I never mention this before, but this experience has completed my tour of the mobile nations. I've used an HTC desire, iPhone 4S, BB Z10 and now Nokia 520. What have I learned? Honestly, I could use all of these devices as my primary driver. Sure I'd miss some features of each platform, but I'd adapt and move on. There's some mean competition in the handset OS market right now. All the quality goods we have to play with shows.

I have my BB Z10 back, and I'll be putting the Lumia 520 up for sale
    03-13-14 08:36 PM
    WP8 Would be my second choice to BB, for sure. Some of the higher end Nokia are just gorgeous

Posted via Z10
    03-13-14 09:56 PM
    WP8 Would be my second choice to BB, for sure. Some of the higher end Nokia are just gorgeous

Posted via Z10
    Same way over here!
    People call me the underdog lover, because I also prefer the Wii U

Posted via CB10
    GSM-S likes this.
    03-13-14 10:02 PM
    I like wp8 but I don't find it efficient. Case in point would be the Tapatalk app. There is so much swiping around to do little things it's crazy. It's pretty and fluid, but I only break out the 928 for its camera. I have to take my hat off to Nokia. They have the only phones on the market imo whose camera takes the same pictures in person that it does in ads.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-14 10:14 PM
    Totally. I love the build quality of the the 1020 (only one I've had a chance to play with). Not to mention the camera...
    03-13-14 10:23 PM
    You can keep the 520 for offline gps.

Windows phone doesn't have a file manager which I use regularly. I think this is for security purposes but there must be a way around it but still have the security.

Posted via CB10 / 10.2.1.1925
    03-13-14 11:11 PM
    Thanks for the write up.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.2141
    JTon likes this.
    03-13-14 11:15 PM
    Having a mixture of devices myself for various purposes I completely understand and appreciate what you're saying, I wish more people were like you and understood that at the end what matters is what you like the most to use.
    03-13-14 11:25 PM
    You can keep the 520 for offline gps.
    Not a bad idea actually. I'll do this if it doesn't sell quickly
    03-13-14 11:26 PM
    y.

Alright. So I never mention this before, but this experience has completed my tour of the mobile nations. I've used an HTC desire, iPhone 4S, BB Z10 and now Nokia 520. What have I learned? Honestly, I could use all of these devices as my primary driver. Sure I'd miss some features of each platform, but I'd adapt and move on. There's some mean competition in the handset OS market right now. All the quality goods we have to play with shows.
    Well said!

I use all four, and while I have my preference for daily driver, I do believe I could adjust to any if I had to.

Choice is good!
    03-14-14 12:26 AM