How good will an unlock Storm work on the T-Mobile service? Will it be able to work fully? Can someone tell me what might not work or what not if I was to get an unlocked version.

Thanks! I'm really really loving this phone. I want the Javelin, but if I can get an unlock Storm to work PERFECTLY then yeah I want the Storm.

Thanks!
    11-07-08 10:11 AM
    You can't use a Storm if you have T-mobile.

The storm is only offered (in the US) for CDMA carriers, and Tmobile is a GSM carrier.

The only option you have, as of now, is to order the UK version of the Storm, and unlock it. That will cost about $700USD.

Good Luck!
    11-07-08 10:27 AM
    This is still up in the air. Right now 9530 eval units of course will work on AT&T or T-Mobile. Question is, what exactly is Verizon going to do regarding the NA GSM bands. Nobody really knows. Verizon will unlock the device when you purchase it if asked. Regardless, the 9500 will work on T-Mobile. Considering T-Mobile doesn't and won't carry the Storm they won't be able to send certain service books such as the browser service book.
    11-07-08 10:37 AM
    ..I'm just waiting on the Thunder. *sigh*

11-07-08 10:39 AM
    Thunder!? I thought there wasn't a thunder. I thought the Thunder was the internal name for the Storm.

Anyways, so CX your saying that an unlocked 9500 on Tmobile won't have a usable browser? Like no data access period? I just wanna get this straight is all.
    11-07-08 04:15 PM
    does anyone have any idea when the Storm will be available for GSM carriers in the US?
    11-07-08 04:37 PM
    I just found this..I am not paying that much for no freakin phone though. lol

RIM BlackBerry Storm 9500 Vodafone UNLOCKED Phone - eBay (item 400007259745 end time Dec-07-08 01:12:09 PST)
    11-07-08 04:38 PM
    Thunder!? I thought there wasn't a thunder. I thought the Thunder was the internal name for the Storm.

Anyways, so CX your saying that an unlocked 9500 on Tmobile won't have a usable browser? Like no data access period? I just wanna get this straight is all.
    It is. The same thing as the Storm, but different name and made for GSM carriers.
    11-07-08 05:08 PM
    There is no Thunder. Thunder was only the internal reference to the device. As far as NA getting a version, it'll be 09.
    11-07-08 05:39 PM
    ^ True, but when it hits the stores, I belive it'll be referred to as the Thunder instead of the Storm right? Not sure though... Hm...
    11-07-08 05:41 PM
    ^ True, but when it hits the stores, I belive it'll be referred to as the Thunder instead of the Storm right? Not sure though... Hm...
    No, both the 9500 & 9530 are Storms. The Thunder name is over and won't be used again.
    11-07-08 05:53 PM
    Gotcha. Thanks!
    11-07-08 05:55 PM
    Gotcha. Thanks!
    NP, glad I could help.
    11-07-08 05:56 PM
    No I believe CX is right. I read a whole article regarding this. It was originally named the Storm but that name got out be mistake and since the trend is to not name the device the same as its internal name they had to come up with something new, thus the Thunder name was created. Or something along those lines. So there is no Thunder. They're one and the same.

BTW CX, you didn't answer my question about the tmobile stuff.
    "...your saying that an unlocked 9500 on Tmobile won't have a usable browser? Like no data access period? I just wanna get this straight is all."
    11-07-08 05:58 PM
    No I believe CX is right. I read a whole article regarding this. It was originally named the Storm but that name got out be mistake and since the trend is to not name the device the same as its internal name they had to come up with something new, thus the Thunder name was created. Or something along those lines. So there is no Thunder. They're one and the same.

BTW CX, you didn't answer my question about the tmobile stuff.
    "...your saying that an unlocked 9500 on Tmobile won't have a usable browser? Like no data access period? I just wanna get this straight is all."
    Exactly what doesn't work remains to be seen. But it's safe to say T-Mobile will not be able to send the correct books for the Browser. Email should work, but it's not a given. Just wait it out for the 8900 or later in 09 when something comes to NA. Trust me, there are some kick a$ $ devices coming to GSM carriers in '09. IMHO, the Storm will be an afterthought.
    11-07-08 06:07 PM
    Yeah, I'm really looking towards the Jav, as well as the Storm. Its been more Jav lately. I think the only thing that's keeping my eyes on the Storm is the touchscreen and multimedia capabilities. Besides my TMO contract doesn't end until Jan. So I'll see what's out or whats on the horizon then. That hybrid device sounds really interesting. I really wanna see what that's gonna turn out to be. Have you gotten your eyes on that one? Thanks CX.
    11-07-08 06:11 PM
    No, both the 9500 & 9530 are Storms. The Thunder name is over and won't be used again.

Mind telling me where you got the info? My husband works for Tmobile and he says it's not even been confirmed yet as to if it will be called the "Storm" or the "thunder". So i'm curious!
    Last edited by arose4me7305; 11-07-08 at 06:31 PM.
    11-07-08 06:26 PM
    Boygenius has a basic storm with GSM bands only that passed the FCC this week. So, this is probably a good idea that they are coming out with a GSM only storm thats coming somewhere in the US. Who knows.
    11-07-08 06:31 PM
    Mind telling me where you got the info? My husband works for Tmobile and he says it's not even been confirmed yet as to if it will be called the "Storm" or the "thunder". So i'm curious!
    I won't disclose where I work. I will say I was the first on this website to have a Storm. I'm already testing another device. Those who know me know my info is spot on. It's definitely the Thunder. Where have you seen the 9500 or 9530 be referred to as anything but the Storm on Vodafone or verizon's website.

Boygenius has a basic storm with GSM bands only that passed the FCC this week. So, this is probably a good idea that they are coming out with a GSM only storm thats coming somewhere in the US. Who knows.
    No what passed through the FCC this week was the Vodafone 9500, nothing different.
    11-07-08 06:54 PM
    Good looks on the info guys!
    11-07-08 09:20 PM
    You can't use a Storm if you have T-mobile.

The storm is only offered (in the US) for CDMA carriers, and Tmobile is a GSM carrier.

The only option you have, as of now, is to order the UK version of the Storm, and unlock it. That will cost about $700USD.

Good Luck!

Ok.. so explain THIS to me (right off of BB Storm site)

Network:

UMTS/HSPA networks: 2100 MHz
    Dual-band 800/1900 Mhz CDMA2000 1X Ev-DO networks
    North America: 850 MHz GSM/GPRS networks
    North America: 1900MHz GSM�/GPRS networks
    Europe/Asia Pacific: 1800MHz GSM/GPRS networks
    Europe/Asia Pacific: 900MHz GSM/GPRS networks

This seems to me like it should work on a GSM carrier? or no...?

I am not as tech savvy as a lot of you. I will just wait until you all figure out how to make it work on T-Mobile before I plop down my paycheck.
    11-11-08 12:24 PM
    Ok.. so explain THIS to me (right off of BB Storm site)

Network:

UMTS/HSPA networks: 2100 MHz
    Dual-band 800/1900 Mhz CDMA2000 1X Ev-DO networks
    North America: 850 MHz GSM/GPRS networks
    North America: 1900MHz GSM�/GPRS networks
    Europe/Asia Pacific: 1800MHz GSM/GPRS networks
    Europe/Asia Pacific: 900MHz GSM/GPRS networks

This seems to me like it should work on a GSM carrier? or no...?

I am not as tech savvy as a lot of you. I will just wait until you all figure out how to make it work on T-Mobile before I plop down my paycheck.
    That's what I was thinking.
    11-12-08 10:38 AM
    The main issue with it working on tmobile is the service books.... The phone itself has the radio as far as I understand but it probably won't fully work on t-mobile
    11-12-08 11:25 AM
    Could I follow the directions for getting the browser service books to the Bold and do the same thing for the Storm? Considering the Storm works on a 1900 MHz network, same as TMO USA...wouldnt that work? Would you even need the phone unlocked?

http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/how...tml#post877720
    Last edited by barko12; 11-21-08 at 09:40 AM.
    11-21-08 09:33 AM
    Could I follow the directions for getting the browser service books to the Bold and do the same thing for the Storm? Considering the Storm works on a 1900 MHz network, same as TMO USA...wouldnt that work? Would you even need the phone unlocked?

http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/how...tml#post877720
    Yes, you would have to unlock the phone to work on another carrier. The phone is "locked" to the original carrier.
    11-21-08 11:13 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD