It's about time I retire my trusty Citizen EcoDrive watch. While I still want to replace it with another EcoDrive I wanted to check if anyone here uses a smartwatch like pebble, gear, SW2, etc... with their BlackBerry?

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
    03-09-14 08:28 PM
    03-09-14 08:34 PM
    Yes, I use a Pebble with my Z10 via Talk2Watch. Gives me email and text messages displayed on my Pebble as well as notifications of an incoming phone call. It also allows me to get Facebook chat and Twitter mention/direct message display and notifications as well as weather updates and Foursquare check-ins I believe the next update will allow for more notifications as well as BBM notification (fingers crossed)

And it also acts as a watch lol if I have it connected to the Android Pebble app, it gives me access to apps (Yelp, ESPN and proper Foursquare) on my watch but sadly no message notifications hopefully one of the future Talk2Watch updates will allow for data access.

Posted via CB10
    hbsupnorth likes this.
    03-09-14 08:45 PM
    Yes, I use a Pebble with my Z10 via Talk2Watch. Gives me email and text messages displayed on my Pebble as well as notifications of an incoming phone call. It also allows me to get Facebook chat and Twitter mention/direct message display and notifications as well as weather updates and Foursquare check-ins I believe the next update will allow for more notifications as well as BBM notification (fingers crossed)

And it also acts as a watch lol if I have it connected to the Android Pebble app, it gives me access to apps (Yelp, ESPN and proper Foursquare) on my watch but sadly no message notifications hopefully one of the future Talk2Watch updates will allow for data access.

Posted via CB10
    Where did you find the ESPN app? I have looked high and low for it.
    03-09-14 11:14 PM
    Thanks, I saw the sub division of mn but I wanted to specifically hear from those with Blackberry since NON of the smartwatch makers officially support blackberry (and I don't think they will anytime soon).
    I have been reading about workarounds and even with workarounds lack of essential functionality and was hoping to hear from BB10 owners and their experience.

Thank you, just the man I was looking for. Initially when first pebble was released I liked the idea, but I found plastic not too durable especially banging my current watch on so many surfaces.
    When I read that it wasn't possible to get incoming call notifications, it just made me pass on it. So it seems now you get call notifications, but do you also see the caller's name on the phone? Edit: I see that you still cannot, don't you find that pretty annoying?

With Notifications "sadly no message notifications", what exactly do you mean? You mentioned you can get email and text messages.

I didn't know about Talk2Watch but now that I checked it out at BB World, I see that it includes a ton of functionality for pebble, that's actually amazing.
    My only complain would be that the new pebble costs $250 as much as Gear but it doesn't have half the functionality.

Does Talk2Watch need to be running all the time? Does it use a frame or is it headless? I would be worried it dropping to 9th place and stopping.
    Also, when it is connected to Talk2Watch, I assume you cannot pair the phone to your car stereo without disconnecting it from watch, is there anyway to prioritize Blackberry's BT connection so that when in car it can disconnected from watch and connect to car stereo?
    03-10-14 12:10 AM
    Where did you find the ESPN app? I have looked high and low for it.
    Sorry, should have clarified the comment. Should have said apps LIKE Yelp, ESPN and proper Foursquare. ESPN has been rumored since Pebble first announced the app store but I haven't been able to find it either.

Didn't mean to get your hopes up. I haven't checked since the first week the app store was released but just figured that ESPN would be out now, more than a month after the app store came out. Silly me. Yet another example of Pebble acting like BlackBerry yet BlackBerry is a "dying platform" lmao what a joke.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-14 12:11 AM
    Thank you, just the man I was looking for. Initially when first pebble was released I liked the idea, but I found plastic not too durable especially banging my current watch on so many surfaces.
    When I read that it wasn't possible to get incoming call notifications, it just made me pass on it. So it seems now you get call notifications, but do you also see the caller's name on the phone? Edit: I see that you still cannot, don't you find that pretty annoying?

With Notifications "sadly no message notifications", what exactly do you mean? You mentioned you can get email and text messages.

I didn't know about Talk2Watch but now that I checked it out at BB World, I see that it includes a ton of functionality for pebble, that's actually amazing.
    My only complain would be that the new pebble costs $250 as much as Gear but it doesn't have half the functionality.

Does Talk2Watch need to be running all the time? Does it use a frame or is it headless? I would be worried it dropping to 9th place and stopping.
    Also, when it is connected to Talk2Watch, I assume you cannot pair the phone to your car stereo without disconnecting it from watch, is there anyway to prioritize Blackberry's BT connection so that when in car it can disconnected from watch and connect to car stereo?
    To your initial point of durability, I haven't had any issues with my Pebble yet aside from a little scratch on the lower right corner that happened before I put on my screen protector.

While it is a little annoying that you can't get call information, it is still nice to know that you have an incoming call when you need to have your phone on silent ie. in a meeting or in church.

What I meant about no message notifications was that when you are using the sideloaded Android apk you can not get any notifications as it requires an accessibility option that BB does not have. The only thing I use the Android app for is to load watch faces and/or apps. Apps for the moment, are pointless. Talk2Watch, at the moment, does not give data access to the Pebble, so apps don't work. Hopefully in a future update Talk2Watch will have this functionality. Unfortunately, for now, you have to choose between using T2W for notifications OR using the Android app for data services for apps. You can't have both running at the same time.

Talk2Watch is an amazing app and the developer is very active between CB forums, SmartWatch Fans forums and even in BBM groups. I can't wait for the next update that is coming soon (BlackBerry has it, just waiting for them to approve it)

As for T2W needing to be open, yes. For now it needs to be open to run but I believe that this coming update will allow it to run headless. This update or the next one, I know its planned and been discussed.

I've had my Z10 connected to my Pebble, my PlayBook and my car's Bluetooth all at the same time. I've also had the car Bluetooth substituted for my BlackBerry Bluetooth speaker at home. This is a fantastic option as T2W allows you to control the music player on your phone

Any other questions/concerns I can help with?
    pkcable and heading4tomorrow like this.
    03-10-14 08:12 AM
    To your initial point of durability, I haven't had any issues with my Pebble yet aside from a little scratch on the lower right corner that happened before I put on my screen protector.

While it is a little annoying that you can't get call information, it is still nice to know that you have an incoming call when you need to have your phone on silent ie. in a meeting or in church.

What I meant about no message notifications was that when you are using the sideloaded Android apk you can not get any notifications as it requires an accessibility option that BB does not have. The only thing I use the Android app for is to load watch faces and/or apps. Apps for the moment, are pointless. Talk2Watch, at the moment, does not give data access to the Pebble, so apps don't work. Hopefully in a future update Talk2Watch will have this functionality. Unfortunately, for now, you have to choose between using T2W for notifications OR using the Android app for data services for apps. You can't have both running at the same time.

Talk2Watch is an amazing app and the developer is very active between CB forums, SmartWatch Fans forums and even in BBM groups. I can't wait for the next update that is coming soon (BlackBerry has it, just waiting for them to approve it)

As for T2W needing to be open, yes. For now it needs to be open to run but I believe that this coming update will allow it to run headless. This update or the next one, I know its planned and been discussed.

I've had my Z10 connected to my Pebble, my PlayBook and my car's Bluetooth all at the same time. I've also had the car Bluetooth substituted for my BlackBerry Bluetooth speaker at home. This is a fantastic option as T2W allows you to control the music player on your phone

Any other questions/concerns I can help with?
    You covered everything in detail. Thanks for the feedback. You should (if you haven't already) post a review like above in Amazon so more people can see the functionality with BlackBerry.

I think there is a huge potential with these smart watches, and this most likely will be milked so they can keep selling each and every generation.
    I might wait for the round face design or at least until something that's universally compatible without relying on apps on the phone. Just pair BT for data and notifications, rest is done in the watch.

Do you get the 5 to 7 days battery life they claim?

03-10-14 09:25 AM
    No, aesthetically they just look naff with a well-cut suit - when the designs don't look like a $10 casio I'd reconsider.
    donmateo and rthonpm like this.
    03-10-14 10:51 AM
    No I use my smartphone as a time piece

Posted on CB10 with the Q10
    03-10-14 01:06 PM
    You covered everything in detail. Thanks for the feedback. You should (if you haven't already) post a review like above in Amazon so more people can see the functionality with BlackBerry.

I think there is a huge potential with these smart watches, and this most likely will be milked so they can keep selling each and every generation.
    I might wait for the round face design or at least until something that's universally compatible without relying on apps on the phone. Just pair BT for data and notifications, rest is done in the watch.

Do you get the 5 to 7 days battery life they claim?

I get on average 5-6 days on a full charge. Depends on the watchface I'm using. If its a plain one with little movement, I'll get 6+ days on a charge. If I'm using a busier one, like ChronoCode or Rotozoa, then its closer to 5 days on a charge.
    heading4tomorrow likes this.
    03-10-14 02:20 PM
    I think I"m going to wait on a smartwatch. The market is getting very interesting very soon. Pebble is going to be a dinosaur.

Motorola 360 Smartwatch out Summer 2014
    03-18-14 12:25 PM
    I think I"m going to wait on a smartwatch. The market is getting very interesting very soon. Pebble is going to be a dinosaur.

Motorola 360 Smartwatch out Summer 2014

I just don't want another Android or android dependent device. Just make it an actual smart watch that can interact with all sort of devices not just android phones or iphones then I will consider.
    There is a lot of information that can be transferred via blutooth, and as long as the watch can receive data it might be worthwile, and we all know the battery life will suck with anything that is constantly transferring information.. ..
    03-18-14 12:44 PM
    Yep, that's what I thought after watching the video - not a single word about battery life

Posted via CB10
    03-18-14 12:47 PM
    Yep, that's what I thought after watching the video - not a single word about battery life

Posted via CB10
    The sheep will buy it if it becomes the next thing.
    Samsung made a mistake of making gear look (and function) very dependent on their galaxy line not to mention that hideous wrist band.

I was surprised to learn that Apple discontinued that small Nano that people turned into smart watches, that thing had a lot of potential and I think iWatch or whatever it will be called will be out very soon, despite being delayed/cancelled/denied multiple times.
    03-18-14 01:00 PM
    Looks gorgeous, can't wait to get the Moto 360 (hopefully they get at least a few days out of the battery).

Loving the Qualcomm Toq right now, it's Mirasol display is amazing, always on and last for 5-7+ days.
    03-18-14 01:21 PM
    Never had one but I'll be watching these Android Wear devices.
    03-18-14 01:30 PM
    No

Posted via Q10
    03-18-14 01:32 PM
    The Mirasol display is great for battery life not that great as a display compared to OLED. It reminds me a color LCD version of watches back in the day. Plus Qualcomm doesn't seem too interested in licensing it to their competitors.

I expect the other Android watches to have 2 days of battery life like the 2nd Gen Samsung ones. There is so little space for battery and even tho LE Bluetooth is pretty efficient on energy the display technology isn't there yet for full saturation color and Mirasol battery life.
    03-18-14 01:49 PM
    The Mirasol display is great for battery life not that great as a display compared to OLED. It reminds me a color LCD version of watches back in the day. Plus Qualcomm doesn't seem too interested in licensing it to their competitors.

I expect the other Android watches to have 2 days of battery life like the 2nd Gen Samsung ones. There is so little space for battery and even tho LE Bluetooth is pretty efficient on energy the display technology isn't there yet for full saturation color and Mirasol battery life.
    Of course the colors on the Mirasol aren't as nice as the LCD/OLED screens but those batteries barely last a day and are not always on. I'll take the Mirasol display over the Gear any day, then again since I have a LG G2, I never was interested in it any ways.
    03-18-14 01:57 PM
    Of course the colors on the Mirasol aren't as nice as the LCD/OLED screens but those batteries barely last a day and are not always on. I'll take the Mirasol display over the Gear any day, then again since I have a LG G2, I never was interested in it any ways.
    Qualcomm will have to put out a Mirasol Android watch the first one is like a Kickstarter project. The fact that it can't act on notifications kills it compared native smartwatch platforms in addition to its huge size and non-adjustable band. Not sure what they can do about making one watch for all unless Google open sources their Android Wear SDK so other phones can use it.
    03-18-14 02:08 PM
    Qualcomm will have to put out a Mirasol Android watch the first one is like a Kickstarter project. The fact that it can't act on notifications kills it compared native smartwatch platforms in addition to its huge size and non-adjustable band. Not sure what they can do about making one watch for all unless Google open sources their Android Wear SDK so other phones can use it.
    You can act on some notifications like calls and texts/IM's, it also shows the whole notification unlike most of the Gear notifications which tells you to look at your phone. I don't find the watch any bigger than my traditional watches, I guess that is subjective to the user.

Rumor has it HTC will be using the Mirasol display from Qualcomm in their up coming smart watch.
    03-18-14 02:15 PM
    The Moto 360 is just gorgeous. I have my eye on that sucker for sure. Moto has some pretty good batteries in their phones, so I'd hope they continue the trend with their watches.
    03-18-14 06:10 PM
    No smartwatch yet. But I'm keeping an eye on them, and hoping one day some of the traditional mechanical watch companies will get into it.
    03-18-14 06:42 PM
    No smartwatch yet. But I'm keeping an eye on them, and hoping one day some of the traditional mechanical watch companies will get into it.
    Fossil has announced an android wear watch!
    03-18-14 06:48 PM
41 12