This is my first post here (and the continuation of a thread in a german forum which was not very successful ...)

I wonder what data my Z30 consumes permanently. This is about 1.7 MB each day (or more than 50MB each month) without that I do anything. And this is a lot. This consumption is made continously all the day long, also in the middle of the night, hour by hour.

I explored this. The new Device Monitor gives us detailed background informations about this. And so I detected that almost all this mysterious traffic is caused by the PIM services. These PIM services are well known here, mostly related to causing high processor load and accu consumption. I'm especially interested in what these PIM services do with my data volume.

PIM services are highly responsible for polling email (and other) accounts. I have three relevant accounts, two IMAP servers (both are to be pushed and should not be polled) and one Twitter account which is protected and should also never be polled. This is what I did:

• I already read that synchronizing the email accounts manually is done everytime you look in there, so I configured the email accounts to be synchronized only once a day. But this didn't show any effect.
    • I also booted, without any effect.
    • Then I removed all these three accounts and the data loss stopped immediately. Great!
    • Now I added at first the Twitter account which seems to be not at all related to the data loss. Everything was still fine.
    • Then I added one IMAP account and configured this one straightaway for 24h-sync before I saved it. But now the data loss started again, about 50kB each hour.
    • Then I configured the second IMAP account the same way and the data loss doubled.
    • Then I booted the device but this didn't show any effect at all.

This means: at least IMAP accounts are synchronized each hour (or even more often) regardless of what you configure. And probably this causes traffic depending on how much data you have in your mailbox.

Is there any possibility to switch off this unwanted and useless polling??? Push works great and very responsible, I never need this damned polling, especially not at 2 a.m. Is this a bug in the PIM services implementation? Or a feature? (guess for whom)
    03-09-14 12:15 PM
    03-09-14 12:33 PM
    This is my first post here (and the continuation of a thread in a german forum which was not very successful ...)

I wonder what data my Z30 consumes permanently. This is about 1.7 MB each day (or more than 50MB each month) without that I do anything. And this is a lot. This consumption is made continously all the day long, also in the middle of the night, hour by hour.

I explored this. The new Device Monitor gives us detailed background informations about this. And so I detected that almost all this mysterious traffic is caused by the PIM services. These PIM services are well known here, mostly related to causing high processor load and accu consumption. I'm especially interested in what these PIM services do with my data volume.

PIM services are highly responsible for polling email (and other) accounts. I have three relevant accounts, two IMAP servers (both are to be pushed and should not be polled) and one Twitter account which is protected and should also never be polled. This is what I did:

• I already read that synchronizing the email accounts manually is done everytime you look in there, so I configured the email accounts to be synchronized only once a day. But this didn't show any effect.
    • I also booted, without any effect.
    • Then I removed all these three accounts and the data loss stopped immediately. Great!
    • Now I added at first the Twitter account which seems to be not at all related to the data loss. Everything was still fine.
    • Then I added one IMAP account and configured this one straightaway for 24h-sync before I saved it. But now the data loss started again, about 50kB each hour.
    • Then I configured the second IMAP account the same way and the data loss doubled.
    • Then I booted the device but this didn't show any effect at all.

This means: at least IMAP accounts are synchronized each hour (or even more often) regardless of what you configure. And probably this causes traffic depending on how much data you have in your mailbox.

Is there any possibility to switch off this unwanted and useless polling??? Push works great and very responsible, I never need this damned polling, especially not at 2 a.m. Is this a bug in the PIM services implementation? Or a feature? (guess for whom)
    Go to Settings > Software Update > Options, and turn off automatic updates. That usually polls more than anything. You can also tweak a few things Hub-wise. Search for Omnitech's or any tips thread here
    03-09-14 06:09 PM
    Go to Settings > Software Update > Options, and turn off automatic updates. That usually polls more than anything. You can also tweak a few things Hub-wise. Search for Omnitech's or any tips thread here
    I said it is surely related to PIM services, not to anything else. I turned off all these other things long ago. It is not something with backups, getting geo or weather data, transferring device data to RIM, BBM, any other social crap. PIM services alone produce 95% of my entire data traffic (except my own activities).
    03-10-14 01:59 AM
    Are you receiving push emails? It could be the culprit since it is not affected by the sync interval time.

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.2141
    03-10-14 04:27 AM
    If by imap you mean Gmail then it is polling every 15 min I believe it is. If it finds mail it will poll at 5 min intervals until it doesn't find any email then goes back to 15 min intervals.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-14 05:20 AM
    Are you receiving push emails? It could be the culprit since it is not affected by the sync interval time.
    Yes, sure I get push emails, always very soon, after two or three minutes or so. I don't believe that I get them via polling (except this polling would indeed happen every few minutes ...) But then in the case of a push I have always an extra peak in data consumption. My hourly data consumption of about 50kB per IMAP account is measured instead without such pushes, I have this constantly all the day long.
    03-10-14 05:30 AM
    Yes, sure I get push emails, always very soon, after two or three minutes or so. I don't believe that I get them via polling (except this polling would indeed happen every few minutes ...) But then in the case of a push I have always an extra peak in data consumption. My hourly data consumption of about 50kB per IMAP account is measured instead without such pushes, I have this constantly all the day long.
    What imap account are you using?

Posted via CB10
    03-10-14 05:34 AM
    If by imap you mean Gmail then it is polling every 15 min I believe it is. If it finds mail it will poll at 5 min intervals until it doesn't find any email then goes back to 15 min intervals.
    I don't (and never did) use Gmail because of data security reasons. One IMAP server is runbox.com from Norway, the other one is an internal server of my company.

What should be the reason to use polling on Gmail? An internal deal between Google and RIM? Why depends the polling interval on whether there are mails present or not???
    Last edited by muellerto; 03-10-14 at 06:04 AM.
    03-10-14 05:43 AM
    I have 6 e-mail accounts (5 hotmail/outlook/live and 1 office365), and my data seems to flat line overnight. when i'm not using the phone.. It does use CPU all night, but its under 1%, so I probably wouldn't care.
    03-10-14 02:03 PM
    Oh, and the weather app which probably tries to update.

obscure data consumption-img_20140310_145914.png
    03-10-14 02:05 PM