Hallo Everyone,

I have the following question. I am a BBM-user but most of my friends are on Whatsapp. Thats alright with me although I did some converting and got some friends using BBM as well. Most of the time the conversations are harmless and not interesting for other people. But since a while I share and discuss more serious matters (read: with my attorney). She is a user of Whatsapp only and I think she doesnt even know BBM went cross platform a short while ago. My info and info she receives from other clients in her Whatsapp chats could be very interesting for other parties. My questions are:
    1) is messaging from BBM to BBM much safer than Whatsapp?
    2) are Whatsapp chats stored on some kind of server, and maybe available for third parties?

If so its wise to convert her to BBM.

If you can elaborate on this or at maybe share a link where this information can be read, thanks very much!!
    03-08-14 08:26 AM
    The issue is this: she has to use what the majority of her clients use. A communication protocol is only as good as the network of people who use it.

A lot of people dislike Facebook, but many use it anyway, simply because there are a ton of people who are there and no where else, and if they want to interact with them via social media, it's Facebook or nothing.

SMS is obviously the widest-used messaging protocol, but second place is WhatsApp, and everything else has a much smaller userbase, so unless the majority of her customers are on BBM, she's going to have to stay with what they've got, which is WhatsApp. She can run both, and encourage people to switch, but she can't make them switch.
    sugbo likes this.
    03-08-14 10:31 AM
    Thanks for your reply. Of course you are right, what her clients use she is, in a way, forced to use as well. But my question concerns solely the security. Is BBM safer than Whatsapp and why so. Most people I have noticed arent that much concerned about the safety of mobile messaging out of maybe laziness or ignorance. Coming back to my lawyer, wouldnt it be a sign of professionalism if she could say to her clients: "listen youre sharing this info through Whatsapp, but there is a safer way: BBM, and this are the reasons."
    03-08-14 10:43 AM
    The information is safer when the life of the important things is short. As short is as more secure it is the sharing. You can do it also in the middle of the street. It will go from you to the contact person and it's so fast that until other people will catch it the information was gone. In these days the speed of sharing is increasing also because of this. You have something new and important info to communicate? you must share it with your closed partners as quickly as you can in order to be CONFIDENTIAL. In this way you don't need BBM to do that. You can do it also with Whatsapp. Imagine how many confidential things you can "transport" thru these cross platforms even in simple words. You know a "code" your partner will tell you something in some words known just by you two and for sure you will understand what he have to say. It is simple.

Proudly Z10 owner
    03-08-14 10:58 AM
    There is no harm in telling her that you're preferred communication method is bbm, there's no harm in her using bbm as well.

Posted on CB10 with the Q10
    sugbo likes this.
    03-08-14 11:05 AM
    BBM is most definitely more private. The messages only exist on the devices for which they are intended and in transit.
    sugbo likes this.
    03-08-14 11:11 AM
    Security: BlackBerry despite the terrible sales figure remains King of security, and BBM, thanks to BlackBerry?s awesome security heritage is light years ahead of WhatsApp on this critical front.
    {snip}
    BBM has a far more elegant system where without you authorising another user, he/she cannot send you messages. And if you delete that user, he needs to send you another authorisation message which you have to approve.
    {snip}
    Privacy: If you?re using WhatsApp and shift/surrender your mobile number, your contacts could be accessed by the new owner of that number, which is a significant breach of privacy. WhatsApp users also get messages from address book contacts, even if they don?t want to stay connected...In sharp contrast, BBM doesn?t disclose unnecessary information unless you want to display the same. Another significant issue with WhatsApp is that it displays the time and date when a user was last active.
    {snip}
    Superior infrastructure: Did you know that BBM is approved for usage by many reputed emergency services in the West? The reason behind it is that BBM rides on BlackBerry?s massive private network that connects carriers with BlackBerry private infrastructure across the globe. This is also why BBM works when mobile networks often seem choked and text and voice calls are not going through. BlackBerry operates an enterprise-grade network that businesses and government agencies of all kinds (including the US Department of Defense) trust for secure and reliable communication.
    Read more at: http://www.firstpost.com/blogs/what-...ce=ref_article

Posted via CB10
    Q10Bold, Davidro1, sugbo and 1 others like this.
    03-08-14 11:11 AM
    Boom.
    1:0 BBM vs WA

Posted via BlackBerry Q10Bold
    sugbo and WWBlondieDo like this.
    03-08-14 11:18 AM
    BBM it's the best!!!!

Posted via CB10 with my BlackBerry Z30
    03-09-14 11:20 PM
    BBM all the way!
    03-10-14 01:53 AM