In case anyone was wondering I had downloaded Roku app on my Z30 10.2.1 (using SNAP). The app works flawlessly and I have complete control over the Roku 3 device using my Z30. Thanks to this we no have now officially 'cut the cord' and our monthly 'cable' bill is now $16/month (Hulu Plus and Netflix) instead of $120/month from ATT U-verse.
    Daytona123 likes this.
    03-06-14 05:24 AM
    Oh wow! This is excellent news! Thanks!
    03-06-14 05:31 AM
    In case anyone was wondering I had downloaded Roku app on my Z30 10.2.1 (using SNAP). The app works flawlessly and I have complete control over the Roku 3 device using my Z30. Thanks to this we no have now officially 'cut the cord' and our monthly 'cable' bill is now $16/month (Hulu Plus and Netflix) instead of $120/month from ATT U-verse.
    I recommend an Amazon Prime subscription as well, they have quite a few releases Hulu and Netflix don't.
    03-06-14 05:32 AM
    I recommend an Amazon Prime subscription as well, they have quite a few releases Hulu and Netflix don't.
    Thanks for the recommendation. All ready have an Amazon Prime subscription (so that's now running through the Roku box too).
    03-06-14 05:45 AM
    Did you contact Roku and let them know? Any app I install through snap, I always tell the developer about it. Otherwise, how will they know it works beautifully?

Posted via CB10
    araskin likes this.
    03-06-14 05:58 AM
    Did you contact Roku and let them know? Any app I install through snap, I always tell the developer about it. Otherwise, how will they know it works beautifully?

Posted via CB10
    It's not a bad idea but I am sure that Roku is running reports on which devices their application is being run on (the device identifies themselves when you launch the application and it calls back to 'Roku central' to get info about the specific account). Having said that, it's not a bad idea to reach out.

Thanks.
    Last edited by araskin; 03-06-14 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Edited for grammer
    03-06-14 06:05 AM
    Thanks for the post! I've been thinking about getting a roku, so this information helps a great deal! I have two questions for you, (1) Can you use miracast to mirror your screen on TV? And (2) can you use the 'play on' feature from native apps, such as the video or music apps?
    03-06-14 06:59 AM
    Thanks for the post! I've been thinking about getting a roku, so this information helps a great deal! I have two questions for you, (1) Can you use miracast to mirror your screen on TV? And (2) can you use the 'play on' feature from native apps, such as the video or music apps?
    1. Miracast is a separate product by Google which I don't own so I cant comment. I "think" what you meant to ask is whether I am able to reflect my Z30 screen onto my LCD. The answer is yes but not wirelessly. If I use HDMI cable I am able to see my Z30 screen, play games etc. I even get surround sound on the games which is fun. But all done via the HDMI cable.

2. No the Play On feature does not work since Roku does not support DLNA. I do have a WD Live TV which does support DLNA and the Play-on feature does work on that. The Roku app does have the ability to play MP3 and display pictures built into the app. When I launch the Roku app I can go and select photos or MP3 and they will play on my TV. The caveat is that the app does not seem to 'see' my SD card which is where most of my MP3 and images are. So its kind of limited to me. This might be a limitation of the Roku app itself and not necessarily BB. Any pics on the device itself will display beautifully on my TV.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions...
    Daytona123 likes this.
    03-06-14 08:08 AM
    Awesome! I was thinking of doing the same, but I would have had to increase my internet package, and the difference in cost would have been pretty close to the cost of just keeping cable. So I called Rogers and ended up getting a $40/month discount on services instead lol
    araskin likes this.
    03-06-14 09:36 AM
    Seems like I was way off on miracast. It is not a Google standard and I am not sure if my Roku box supports it. I will investigate and get back to you.

Apologies for the Confusion.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-14 10:54 PM
    Seems like I was way off on miracast. It is not a Google standard and I am not sure if my Roku box supports it. I will investigate and get back to you.

Apologies for the Confusion.

Posted via CB10
    Haha, I knew Miracast wasn't googles, but figured I wouldn't cause any trouble :P Let me know!
    03-06-14 10:59 PM
    Haha, I knew Miracast wasn't googles, but figured I wouldn't cause any trouble :P Let me know!
    I was, of course, confusing it with ChromeCast. Its late here in Houston so I don't want to turn on the TV now and wake everyone up. I will give it a shot tomorrow. I'm not even sure if Miracast is present because all I could find is an article stating that it may come to the Roku 3 box in the future...

I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-14 11:21 PM
    Roku remote is in BlackBerry World. You don't have to DL it from Snap...

Posted via my amazing Q10
    Attachment 253388
    araskin likes this.
    03-07-14 12:35 AM
    Roku remote is in BlackBerry World. You don't have to DL it from Snap...

Posted via my amazing Q10
    Attachment 253388
    OK so I didnt even bother checking BB World when I installed the Roku. How sad! I went straight to SNAP...

Anyway, If I was to hazard a guess the Roku app in BB World is not by Roku. Still while the UI isnt as nice as the Roku Android app, it launches and runs smoothly and I will definitely use it over the Roku Android app.

Thanks for letting me know.
    03-07-14 08:05 AM
    Just a quick update regarding Miracast. In the BB OS (10.2.1), the Roku box does not come up as an option when I click a photo or song and then select "Play On...". I was hoping that that MIGHT change since I installed the native app from BB World but it did not make a difference. Still inside the native BB World app, it does have a "PLAY ON" screen where I can select photos and/or music and it will play it via my Roku 3.

Miracast did not work. I clicked on 'Share Screen' and I was shown a screen where I could select a device but the Roku did not come up so I guess Roku does not yet support Miracast....
    03-07-14 08:08 AM
    OK, thanks for all the hard work!
    03-07-14 10:33 AM