Does anybody now if you a buy and unlocked phone can you use t-mobile wi-fi calling?
    I went by the store today to looking into the blackberry trade in program. However even with the $250 trade isn't the best deal. The store didn't have any Z10s in stock but the did have some Q10s. I am still kind of on the fence between the too and tomorrow is the last day of the promotion. $278 is decent price after discount for a Q10, the Z10 $229 post discount from tmobile. Both can be bought new the same price new without have to do the trade in online.
    03-05-14 01:13 AM
    Does anybody now if you a buy and unlocked phone can you use t-mobile wi-fi calling?
    I went by the store today to looking into the blackberry trade in program. However even with the $250 trade isn't the best deal. The store didn't have any Z10s in stock but the did have some Q10s. I am still kind of on the fence between the too and tomorrow is the last day of the promotion. $278 is decent price after discount for a Q10, the Z10 $229 post discount from tmobile. Both can be bought new the same price new without have to do the trade in online.
    Hmmm. I don't think so. It's not about unlocking the device. That only works for receiving BlackBerry issued OS updates.
    You will need an official OS update from T-Mobile to utilize WiFi Calling on their network.
    However, you should consider yourself lucky if you can still get in on the promotion as I understand it ended yesterday.
    I would take advantage of it ASAP if it's being offered to you. But as you say it can be purchases cheaper elsewhere.
    See this post by another member Raino...
    http://forums.crackberry.com/t-mobil.../#post10070593
    Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
    03-05-14 07:17 AM
    As long as you use a T-mobile SIM card, you still only get T-mobile 'approved' OS updates. So that should include Wi-Fi calling (and other bloatware). The only benefit of an 'unlocked' device is that you can swap providers more easily.
    03-05-14 08:43 AM
    As long as you use a T-mobile SIM card, you still only get T-mobile 'approved' OS updates. So that should include Wi-Fi calling (and other bloatware). The only benefit of an 'unlocked' device is that you can swap providers more easily.
    Not necessarily, a lot of people with t-mo sims in factory unlocked phones have received updates straight from BlackBerry.

Posted via Q10
    03-05-14 01:08 PM
    I believe the phone needs to be TMo branded for WiFi calling to work.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 01:30 PM
    To ONLY get t-mo updates, the phone has to be a branded t-mo phone. However, you should be able to utilize wifi-calling with an unlocked (non-branded) phone if you load the T-mo updates. The only question I'd have is...do you have to have a 100-3?
    03-05-14 03:05 PM
    Huh, what? How do you mean "updates straight from BlackBerry". I thought BlackBerry does not push updates directly to phones. If they did, everyone on an unlocked phone should get the latest OS directly. I am on an unlocked Q10: never have I seen an OS update (through Link, or OTA) before it was available from my current carrier.
    Not necessarily, a lot of people with t-mo sims in factory unlocked phones have received updates straight from BlackBerry.
    Sorry that was a bit off-topic: in this topic someone mentions using an unlocked Z10 with Wi-Fi calling. But only on the "old" OS versions released by T-Mobile US.
    Last edited by MrGlenn; 03-05-14 at 04:45 PM.
    03-05-14 04:32 PM
    I would agree with FrankPCS. I have never gotten wifi calling to work with either an unlocked AT&T BlackBerry torch or an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S3. Both had Tmo sim cards.

Posted with my BlackBerry Q10 to CB10
    03-05-14 04:40 PM
    Huh, what? How do you mean "updates straight from BlackBerry". I thought BlackBerry does not push updates directly to phones. If they did, everyone on an unlocked phone should get the latest OS directly. I am on an unlocked Q10: never have I seen an OS update (through Link, or OTA) before it was available from my current carrier.

Sorry that was a bit off-topic: in this topic someone mentions using an unlocked Z10 with Wi-Fi calling. But only on the "old" OS versions released by T-Mobile US.
    As long as you're a T-mo customer, you can use wifi calling when it becomes available. Make sure you download the two T-mo apps from BB World, prior to using. Worked for me on two previous OS leaks, perfectly.

Also, my SNQ100-5 device receives OS updates direct from BlackBerry. I don't have to wait for T-mo to push an OS.
    MrGlenn likes this.
    03-05-14 04:50 PM
    Sorry for the hijacking. But whats the current OS for Tmo to get wifi calling? I'm going out of the country this weekend and would like to call back to the US. My current Z10 has the most recent 10.2 OS leak, and would have to downgrade. Thanks all
    03-05-14 05:21 PM
    sorry for the hijacking. But whats the current os for tmo to get wifi calling? I'm going out of the country this weekend and would like to call back to the us. My current z10 has the most recent 10.2 os leak, and would have to downgrade. Thanks all
    10.1.0.4780 mr
    03-05-14 05:26 PM
    Sorry for the hijacking. But whats the current OS for Tmo to get wifi calling? I'm going out of the country this weekend and would like to call back to the US. My current Z10 has the most recent 10.2 OS leak, and would have to downgrade. Thanks all
    There's not been one released from T-mo, yet. Last tweet I read, CS said they were still in testing.
    03-05-14 05:28 PM
    10.1.0.4780 mr
    Thanks

There's not been one released from T-mo, yet. Last tweet I read, CS said they were still in testing.
    So the above OS doesn't have wifi calling? I'm not looking for OS 10.2 yet, just need the latest 10.1 OS so i can use wifi calling over seas.
    03-05-14 05:32 PM
    So the above OS doesn't have wifi calling?
    Yes it does. It is the most current and up to date OFFICIAL T-Mobile release.
    No question about it! Guaranteed!

I think Mecca believed you were speaking of what may be in store for the future with WiFi calling OS releases.
    03-05-14 05:54 PM
    I figured he was, thanks much.
    03-05-14 06:04 PM
    I'm still on the 10.1.0.4780 mr because I need WiFi calling.
    I work in the field, but when I go to my office I cannot get a signal without it.
    These damn NYC buildings.... LoL.
    03-05-14 06:11 PM
    From what I have read, no matter the phone's origin, as long as you can pull down the TMO OS, you can get WiFi calling. Now you may have some downgrading/creative OS installing to do, but it should work from what I've read. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I'll be buying a non-TMO Q10 on this information lol.

Not 100% sure about this, but I don't think you even need to have the TMO models (RFK121LW and SQN100-5) to get WFC working. You just need to be able to load the TMO OS. But I digress...

Regarding the AT&T 9800, that would've likely been UMA (hardware based WFC) and even then there were ways to make it work, at least if the model had been released on TMO as well. As for the AT&T S3, WFC will never work on it because TMO has kept WFC on Android extremely proprietary. XDA has been trying for years they can't get it working on non-TMO phones.
    03-05-14 08:43 PM