I am brand new to Crackberry! I had a question: I am sick and tired of Google and Apple, and want to go all Blackberry, but I'm concerned that if I buy a playbook, they will stop supporting them soon. Is it safe to buy a Playbook? Thanks!
    03-01-14 06:32 PM
    playbook hasnt been "supported" in 6 months probably if not longer. Its close to a 3 year old device and an OS that isnt going to advance
    paulespo1963 likes this.
    03-01-14 06:36 PM
    Your going to get quite the mixed response on that question ...

Supported as in software updates - its already gone as mentioned above.

Support as in warranty - well just as long as the remaining warranty is.

Posted via CB from my LE
    paulespo1963 likes this.
    03-01-14 06:40 PM
    There a lot of negative stuff on these forums..but: The PlayBook is still supported with a fairly recent OS update when the cynics said there will be none. BlackBerry Bridge is still seeing development and updates. Not the largest selection of Apps in BlackBerry World but some real quality ones. You can pick one up from say eBay for under �70. It's probably still the best tablet for multitasking and productivity! You have an HDMI socket and mini usb...the choice is yours!

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    03-01-14 06:51 PM
    I should add, I loved my PB. The k KY reason it was retired for me is I loved to a surface pro... which cost about 12x as much as a PB these days.

I did love my PB though

Posted via CB from my LE
    03-01-14 07:04 PM
    I have 2 playbooks. Love them both. They are used daily by myself, my wife, my 4 year old son and even my 1 year old likes to pretend. We play music, browse the internet, play games and read books with them. However I'm not sure I would buy another. There are so many other options out there that get updated.

Posted via CB10 on ZED10
    paulespo1963 likes this.
    03-01-14 08:05 PM
    I have 2 playbooks. Love them both. They are used daily by myself, my wife, my 4 year old son and even my 1 year old likes to pretend. We play music, browse the internet, play games and read books with them. However I'm not sure I would buy another. There are so many other options out there that get updated.

Posted via CB10 on ZED10
    Where can one buy a playbook? Are the only options ebay and other used marketplaces?

Posted via CB10
    precognito likes this.
    03-01-14 10:30 PM
    I have no idea. I bought mine at launch but your right, probably have to buy it used somewhere

Posted via CB10 on ZED10
    03-02-14 06:44 AM
    There's no need to buy used (unless you want to). Amazon has both 32gb and 64gb PlayBooks available at fairly good prices. Enjoy!
    03-02-14 08:10 AM
    If you want it because you like "Bridge" function and not fussy about features in other tablets, then I will say go for it. I have PB and my kids use it to play games like soccer, football etc. It comes in handy.
    dazzleaj likes this.
    03-02-14 08:25 AM
    If you want a tool, the PlayBook is still quite valid. If you only want a toy, it is not the best choice. Good for couch browsers also. The wife and I use it every day for non business browsing away from the desktops and laptops. Much more convenient to use. Android is just too full of of 12 year old little girl stuff and ianything wants your soul. Not interested in either. Watching wintablets, too expensive to be attractive yet. Not sure where they are going to end up either. Might be ticket if this is the last playbook made.
    Gooseberry Falls likes this.
    03-02-14 10:17 AM
    The playbook doesn't run off the new OS though right

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 11:54 AM
    The playbook doesn't run off the new OS though right

Posted via CB10
    no and never will
    03-02-14 02:44 PM
    If you can find it cheap go for it this device will probably be the only one made by RIMBERRY because of the lack of support to customers. I am waiting to see how this ends for PlayBook.
    03-02-14 03:50 PM
    I have had my Playbook for two years and it seems to be slowly fading. Front and rear cameras have failed and Web browsing has become more problematic with frequent crashes and slow response. The battery charge drops more quickly. My Nokia 920 is faster and more stable for impromptu web searches and generally I prefer working at my desktop than a tablet. We also have iPads and even though I somewhat prefer the Playbook OS, that really doesn't matter that much to me as I am more concerned with selection and performance of apps. So I wouldn't buy another PlayBook when this one dies. The batteries on new ones may not perform as factory fresh or be as durable. Time marches on and the Playbook will eventually join the obsolete cell phones and Palm devices in my junk drawer. Sure, a new Playbook is still functional within limits but those limits are becoming more intrusive.
    03-03-14 01:11 AM
    I use it everyday for Web browsing and youtube, I have played with a Samsung galaxy tab 3 8" and I liked it very much it will probably be my next tablet, if only the PB had a storage slot for micro sd card I would use it as my music player of choice at the backyard because the sound is great but don't have any room left and I don't want to delete my modern combat 2,3,4,shadowgun, Nova 2, PS emulator tekken and dead or Alive games, thanks and have a good day. I would buy an android tablet but it really is a matter of preference and everyone has their own.
    Last edited by Steel361; 03-04-14 at 11:07 PM.
    03-04-14 10:52 PM
    no, too old, buy an Dell 8 inch windows tablet
    03-04-14 10:54 PM
    I love my playbooks. Gets nightly use! Buy one! Try it for a few weeks. If you are not happy with it, sell it!

Q10 and Z10 with Telus on 10.2.1.2141
    03-04-14 10:57 PM
    I've had my PlayBook for over 2 years. It still works great. I read emails. Post on Facebook. Buy stuff I don't need on Amazon and watch you tube.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-14 11:25 PM
    I love all my Playbooks. We have 3-16GB's and my own is a 64 GB...we use them daily for all kinds of stuff...PM'S on Crackberry especially since the Z10 still doesn't do PM'S on CB10!!! Oh no, really??? Yup, it's true...The grandkids love em...ages 6 and 7...

Trusted Member Genius
    03-05-14 04:56 AM
    There are 3 things to do with playbook
    1-movies
    2-email
    3-alarm

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 07:50 AM
    If your into apps, dont even think about it. Just get yourself a windowd surface

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 07:57 AM
    If you're willing to sideload android apps then the Playbook is a lot of fun. Its functional, sturdy, high quality and what I think is best of all is that the Playbook has a great community like Crackberry behind. You can find used 32gb Wifi versions from 60-80$ US on Amazon.
    03-08-14 12:21 AM
    Mine sits on the nightstand unused lately. The kids play games on it but that's about it. I pretty much replaced it with an iPad mini about a year ago because of 2 apps I needed for work.

That being said, I have a week long vacation coming up, and I find myself reaching for the Playbook instead of the iPad mini. The reasons are:
    1. 64 gb. More movies.
    2. Easy Hdmi output.
    3. Bridge control of Playbook when watching movies on Hdmi output makes for a great media player experience at a hotel.

The reasons I waver and consider taking the iPad instead:

1. I read kindle books on my z30 and iPad. The PlayBook works fine for that too. The ui on the iPad is smoother though.
    2. IPad has a little bit bigger screen.
    3. Battery life. PlayBook battery life has always been hit and miss. Sometimes it is awesome and sometimes it dies really fast. I don't want to risk being caught in transit with a dead battery. IPad has consistently decent battery life.

I still love the Playbook. It feels a little dated in my opinion, but is still a great device and a joy to use.
    Is a playbook worth buying?-img_20140308_003125.jpg
    03-08-14 01:35 AM
    If you want a tool, the PlayBook is still quite valid. If you only want a toy, it is not the best choice. Good for couch browsers also. The wife and I use it every day for non business browsing away from the desktops and laptops. Much more convenient to use. Android is just too full of of 12 year old little girl stuff and ianything wants your soul. Not interested in either. Watching wintablets, too expensive to be attractive yet. Not sure where they are going to end up either. Might be ticket if this is the last playbook made.
    Well its office suite is pretty bare bones... to be honest at this point it doesn't do anything really that much better than other tablets now, given full windows 8 tablets in the same form factor exist that run full fledged applications and not just "apps" I can't find any real reason why you would buy a playbook today.... it is outclassed on every front by its competition now

Posted via CB10
    03-08-14 08:11 PM