Today I contacted Rogers to get my 1 year old Z10 unlocked as it is my right after 90 days of ownership to have my phone unlocked by the carrier or immediately if the device is purchased outright.

Source: Do You Know Your Rights as a Wireless Consumer?

I was told that Rogers must charge me $50 to do this and I asked why? Is it not my right as the law states to have this service done? I asked for them to show me the legal statement that states carriers MAY or MUST charge for this. They told me to go hire a lawyer then and that they don't unlock ANY phone for free EVER. I can't stress the importance of the capitalized words as she emphasized this to me. This all coming from a supervisor/floor support yet as the rep I originally got knew NOTHING about the wireless code. Really didn't know how to answer her so I stated I would file a complaint with the CRTC and ended the call.

So who's right? Whats the ACTUAL law on this? It's law that they HAVE to unlock it given the terms either 90 days or immediately upon full purchase, but can they legally charge? Wouldn't that contradict the wireless code?

I planned on doing the same with my Z30 after 90 days for when I make trips down to the states. Not quite sure how to proceed here. But before I write this complaint and make a fool out of myself, can someone clarify who's right and how it all works?
    03-01-14 12:39 PM
    Pretty sure that their only obligations are to allow you to use an unlocked device on their network, and to permit you to unlock your device if you wish. I don't think anything says that they can't charge you for this service.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-14 12:48 PM
    Telus charges $35. Code says they have to unlock. Doesn't say they can't charge a fee.

"Rights" is not the proper term here. Rights refer to protected freedoms against state/government involvement in your life. I think what you are trying to say is that Rogers is not providing adequate customer service and may not be abiding by the applicable federal regulations.

Posted from my Z30 via CB10.
    03-01-14 12:52 PM
    Your best best is to contact the CRTC or call Rogers loyalty and deal with them
    03-01-14 12:59 PM
    They will do nothing, it's okay to charge you to unlock the device. Everywhere does. The are allowing your to unlock the device thus they are following the rules they are allowed to charge to unlock

Posted via CB10
    03-01-14 01:04 PM
    Your best bet is to go through a 3rd party like freemyblackberry.com I used them, they are cheaper than Rogers and Telus and it works

Posted via CB10
    03-01-14 01:06 PM
    Thanks for the replies folks. I wasn't fully sure of what and how the rights apply and are enforced and utilized by carriers. It was my understanding that carriers have always allowed you to unlock your device. However with the new changes last year, it meant that carriers, upon request after the term dates, must unlock the device but ONLY by request.

With that, $50 is ridiculous to unlock a phone. MTS doesn't lock their phones (amazing, really) and seem to be the minority around here. Too bad that's the only thing going for them to lure customers.

I guess I'll have to ultimately look at one of these phone unlock services. They all seem shady to me.
    03-01-14 02:14 PM
    A lot of MTS devices are not locked. I don't remember the exact wording on their site as to why... but I would suspect it is because they are a regional carrier and understand in some cases it's cheaper to get a prepaid sim card when travelling then pay certain fees. More of a 'value added' service on their part. Good for MTS. Shame on the others :P

Speaking of which... one of the US carriers (I want to say Verison but can't remember if it's right) will be/already is waiving roaming charges in Canada for their customers... if that's true which carrier are they partnered with and why don't we get that deal in the US? off topic, but just rambling after my value added comment

Posted via CB10
    03-08-14 09:31 PM
    Now, I haven't unlocked a phone in a while because rogers keeps sending me defective BBs (years now) and I'm not voiding the warranty cuz that junk is always going back, but as I recall it there are step by step instructions on the net as to how to unlock various phones. The only thing you need from your carrier is some number specific to your individual phone(IMEI/ESN). And if I'm not mistaken, you can call up your carrier and just ask them for that number and follow the steps you got off the net/youtube etc. I don't think they can possibly find a way to charge you for reading something off your account to you, at least not in good conscience. Of course ethics aren't their strong suit, and while I remember it cost nothing before, it wouldn't surprise me if they've started charging for it, but no way it's $50 to read a number to you.
    Here's a youtube post, video is worthless but read the uploader and user comments, the links are in there; worked for a 9900 last year...
    youtube.com/watch?v=2PkBvhGqyw4
    Last edited by Sasha REX; 03-14-14 at 02:46 PM. Reason: typo
    03-14-14 02:44 PM
    Now, I haven't unlocked a phone in a while because rogers keeps sending me defective BBs (years now) and I'm not voiding the warranty cuz that junk is always going back, but as I recall it there are step by step instructions on the net as to how to unlock various phones. The only thing you need from your carrier is some number specific to your individual phone(IMEI/ESN). And if I'm not mistaken, you can call up your carrier and just ask them for that number and follow the steps you got off the net/youtube etc. I don't think they can possibly find a way to charge you for reading something off your account to you, at least not in good conscience. Of course ethics aren't their strong suit, and while I remember it cost nothing before, it wouldn't surprise me if they've started charging for it, but no way it's $50 to read a number to you.
    Here's a youtube post, video is worthless but read the uploader and user comments, the links are in there; worked for a 9900 last year...
    youtube.com/watch?v=2PkBvhGqyw4
    First it costs money to unlock phones, it costs everywhere lol go to the mall or anywhere and try to get a bb10 phone unlocked for free. Rogers is a business and like any business they make money thus company's charge money for a service

Second unlocking a phone does NOT void warranty

Third you must have bad luck because I've had a BlackBerry for at least 6 years and had probably close to 7-10 BlackBerry in that time and I've had maybe 1-2 problems with them.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-14 03:47 PM
    You can get it done by tour local cell repair shop for 30 bucks, or an online store. I had mine done in Burlington for 30.00

Posted Via my Kick @ss BlackBerry Z30
    03-14-14 03:58 PM
    You can get it done by tour local cell repair shop for 30 bucks, or an online store. I had mine done in Burlington for 30.00

Posted Via my Kick @ss BlackBerry Z30
    Ya it's cheaper to do it via third party I use freemyblackberry.com

Posted via CB10
    03-14-14 04:02 PM
    The wireless code stated when they must unlock a phone, it doesn't say it must be for free

Posted via CB10
    03-17-14 12:15 AM
    Also, Rogers bb10 unlocking is on sale for 14.99$ on www.roamgalaxy.com, just did my Rogers z30 unlock there and got my code within a few hours!

My imei shows incorrectly in the settings so I had to go to the phone app and dial *#06# to get the full imei, just a heads up in case there's issues for anyone

Posted via CB10
    03-17-14 12:20 AM
    Today I contacted Rogers to get my 1 year old Z10 unlocked as it is my right after 90 days of ownership to have my phone unlocked by the carrier or immediately if the device is purchased outright.

Source: Do You Know Your Rights as a Wireless Consumer?

I was told that Rogers must charge me $50 to do this and I asked why? Is it not my right as the law states to have this service done? I asked for them to show me the legal statement that states carriers MAY or MUST charge for this. They told me to go hire a lawyer then and that they don't unlock ANY phone for free EVER. I can't stress the importance of the capitalized words as she emphasized this to me. This all coming from a supervisor/floor support yet as the rep I originally got knew NOTHING about the wireless code. Really didn't know how to answer her so I stated I would file a complaint with the CRTC and ended the call.

So who's right? Whats the ACTUAL law on this? It's law that they HAVE to unlock it given the terms either 90 days or immediately upon full purchase, but can they legally charge? Wouldn't that contradict the wireless code?

I planned on doing the same with my Z30 after 90 days for when I make trips down to the states. Not quite sure how to proceed here. But before I write this complaint and make a fool out of myself, can someone clarify who's right and how it all works?
    Your partially correct but the crtc does not regulate pricing so whatever the fee is for the service,according to your wireless contract is due upon rendering such service! Nice try tho!

Posted via CB10
    02-16-15 07:48 PM