Well, I hate to say it but when I was getting out of my car, I my Q10 slid right out of my hand and landed face down on the concrete, and when I picked it up, the whole entire screen was shattered, and the screen was dead. The screen is the only part that was damaged, and it didn't even fall that far. I had my incipio case on it as well. Not sure if I want to go through the trouble of trying to replace the screen and then it not end up working anyway. I notice the keyboard still lights up, but that's it. My first time ever to bust a phone, and I have had a lot of them. Now I am on my LG Optimus G...I have an upgrade with AT&T coming in July, so I am going to try and hold out until then, even though it will be hard! I may attempt to replace the screen, but not sure..I have never tried that before.
    03-01-14 11:20 AM
    Ughh, that sucks. Surprised it busted so easily. I have dropped mine pretty violently a few times and banged up the sides but never an issue. Sorry to hear. Let us know how the screen replacement goes. Lot of folks on here have said it's actually not too tough to do.

Posted via CB10
    dlrogers81 likes this.
    03-01-14 11:24 AM
    Sad news. That is one elegant phone. But anyways, try to hold out till July, the Q30 is coming down the pipe and that thing is going to be hot. If the screen hits somewhere around 4 inches, I might go back to key board.
    dlrogers81 likes this.
    03-01-14 11:25 AM
    Sorry for your loss. I'm curious, did it have a screen protector?

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.2141
    dlrogers81 likes this.
    03-01-14 11:30 AM
    Could you plug it into a TV with an HDMI cable and see if everything still works? That should tell you if anything critical is borked.
    dlrogers81 likes this.
    03-01-14 11:30 AM
    Lets have a moment of silence for the loss of a fellow Q10.....moment over.

Canada BBM channel C001234A4
    03-01-14 11:35 AM
    Could you plug it into a TV with an HDMI cable and see if everything still works? That should tell you if anything critical is borked.
    That's a good idea...didn't think about that. I may attempt to replace the screen, but after I find out that nothing else is damaged.

I did have a screen protector on as well. I'm thinking since it's been so cold here, that caused it to break easier..but not sure.
    bigjman likes this.
    03-01-14 11:38 AM
    NO!!!! I feel sick, I've been lucky so far that mine has only fallen "precisely" on the back in class. I just heard that "a phone just fell" sound. Everyone was like - O F#CK! may it never happen again..
    Q10Bold and dlrogers81 like this.
    03-01-14 11:48 AM
    Sorry for your loss. I'm curious, did it have a screen protector?

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.2141
    A screen protector won't really help to prevent screen shattering. They work well against all kind of scratches, but when the glass shatters, they can't absorb the damages which caused the shatterering.

Double-typed and posted with a BlackBerry Q10.
    03-01-14 12:40 PM
    I can only say 5 words...
    Insurance
    Otterbox
    Sorry about that........
    world saviour and dlrogers81 like this.
    03-01-14 04:39 PM
    Thinking about breaking down and trade my unlocked nexus 7 32gb tablet for a Q. Already missing that keyboard!

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk
    03-01-14 05:49 PM
    Sorry for your loss bro. I guess there's no insurance on it? Mine ONLY hits the ground when it slides off my lap. Usually when I'm getting out of my car or at dinner in a nice restaurant. I have an Incipio case as well (with a screen protector) and it's always given decent protection against the drops and slips. Not sure how you can even stand using anything else, but I wish you well.

Live it, love it, be it.....BB10
    dlrogers81 likes this.
    03-01-14 07:52 PM
    That's sad. I dropped mine more than 5 time twice the battery and backcover came off. Everytime it drops I feel like my heart stops :s and always hope it doesn't have damaged.

via Q10
    dlrogers81 likes this.
    03-01-14 08:03 PM
    Yea it's worth trying to repair it. You got nothing to lose. I've taken that approach with the two laptops in my household, and it's been rewarding each time to have the units working again at very little cost. On my laptops, I've changed the cooling fan several times on one, hinges on the same one, and the hard drive on the other.
    dlrogers81 likes this.
    03-01-14 08:43 PM
    It sucks something like that happened. You could either try to get the display fixed - since the phone is broken anyways, there isn't much to lose, is it?
    Another option you could consider: Grab yourself a Q5. While it is not as premium as a Q10, you don't really sacrifice much by chosing the 10's smaller sibling. This way you'd save a few bucks which you could spend on your upgrade later this year, for example to get a Q20 if you fancy it.
    You could also keep the Q5 for future use as a backup phone, this way you'd have a QWERTY device if something like this should ever happen again.

Double-typed and posted with a BlackBerry Q10.
    03-02-14 12:43 AM
    So sorry bout that..

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 01:19 AM
    I've dropped mine many times and no issues until the one time I dropped it in the snow (which I didn't realize) and it got run over. The screen got cracked. I knew it was still alive cause the keyboard would light up and my camera would randomly take pics. Anyway brought it to get fixed at a little random cell shop for 90 dollars and it's pretty much good as new. Oh at one point the proximity sensor stopped working and I took is back and they fixed it for free (they said sometimes it gets loose when dropped). So get it fixed! Or ya if u live in Canada, grab that nicely priced Q5 from Koodo!

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 04:46 AM
    Wouldn't you simply simply not have to replace the screen and digitizer I remember the digitizer being very close to the screen for Z10 so that might go for Q10 as well. It will probably cost you 1/3 to 40% of a new one but be as good as new.
    03-02-14 05:05 AM
    Sorry to hear, but that is why I keep my sexy Q10 in my bulky OtterBox Defender.

Posted via CB10
    world saviour and MADBRADNYC like this.
    03-02-14 05:14 AM
    Sad news. That is one elegant phone. But anyways, try to hold out till July, the Q30 is coming down the pipe and that thing is going to be hot. If the screen hits somewhere around 4 inches, I might go back to key board.
    Q30 to be released this summer? Is this backed up by some evidence?

Posted with my Q10 on 10.2.1.537
    03-02-14 05:19 AM
    Sorry to hear, but that is why I keep my sexy Q10 in my bulky OtterBox Defender.

Posted via CB10
    did have mine in an OB as well, but too difficult to type with it... muuuuch better experience without it!

Posted with my Q10 on 10.2.1.537
    03-02-14 05:20 AM
    Well, I hate to say it but when I was getting out of my car, I my Q10 slid right out of my hand and landed face down on the concrete, and when I picked it up, the whole entire screen was shattered, and the screen was dead. The screen is the only part that was damaged, and it didn't even fall that far. I had my incipio case on it as well. Not sure if I want to go through the trouble of trying to replace the screen and then it not end up working anyway. I notice the keyboard still lights up, but that's it. My first time ever to bust a phone, and I have had a lot of them. Now I am on my LG Optimus G...I have an upgrade with AT&T coming in July, so I am going to try and hold out until then, even though it will be hard! I may attempt to replace the screen, but not sure..I have never tried that before.
    Sorry to hear that, it's a terrible feeling I know

Have a look around the internet and watch some screen replacement videos if they are available

Maybe you can also get a good deal somewhere that will replace the screen for you
    03-02-14 05:30 AM
    did have mine in an OB as well, but too difficult to type with it... muuuuch better experience without it!
    Obviously to each his own. I can't knock you for that.
    But, an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.
    It’s only a better experience if you can continue to type on your device.

-Why do we drive slower on a residential street than on a highway?
    It’s inconvenient and you get where you need to go a bit later, but at least you will be able to stop in time if a kid runs into the street.
    -Why do we keep glasses of water away from our PC keyboards when working?
    It’s inconvenient and you have to get up to quench your thirst, but at least you won’t fry your keyboard or monitor.
    -Why do we back up our device data?
    It’s inconvenient for the use of your time, but when your device acts funky, you can recover.

There are too many threads here about accidents. That’s why they are called accidents.
    I, like the OP usually never drop a device, but I don’t have to burn my own hand on a stove to learn to keep it away.
    I can learn from the mistakes of others.
    You only have a muuuuch better experience until that experience ceases to exist.
    world saviour likes this.
    03-02-14 07:37 AM
    OP: so you have nothing on the screen? No illuminated pixels? I've seen smashed screens before that still show images in the background.

Just based on what you said - I doubt any other part of it is broken. The printed circuit board, speaker, ports are all buttoned down pretty tight to the mid frame. Screen replacement literally will take 15 minutes for someone who knows what their doing. Haven't looked at them lately but Ebay has them.

If you're brave enough to tackle it yourself I can give you some pointers but you'll need to procure some tools (screwdrivers) to do it.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 09:10 AM
    Ins is a scham. You still need to pay a deductible up to 200 $
    03-02-14 09:28 AM
56 123