Okay, just presented this idea to some people and was shot down faster than when I tried to hit on a close friend..but here goes;

A separate bbm groups app..

Instead of groups being integrated within bbm, how about keeping bbm as MPC and personal chats only (bbm channels can be another discussion) and have groups as a seperate app by itself, in my mind if makes sense so maybe I'm crazy..

But i think it would get more people involved in groups, groups could evolve to be it's own awesome bbm tool with shared calenders etc and it might just mean the bbm app is less laggy (for some users)

Let's here the thoughts (sorry I've someone's posted about this idea before, I did search)

TechCraze C0008DDD1

EDIT sorry for the poor title choice mods..
    Last edited by tinochiko; 03-01-14 at 02:29 AM.
    02-28-14 01:42 PM
    Yeah, a bit cray cray , LOL.
    02-28-14 02:22 PM
    I thought the same thing. I never remember to go into BBM to check my channels

Posted via CB10
    02-28-14 06:33 PM
    An app would be pretty cool but with the current Hub integration all is pretty good. Comments and new posts arrive as a Hub notification so I never miss a beat.

Via CB10. Bits, C000C6078 for links to science and technology posts and world news.
    02-28-14 06:39 PM
    I thought the same thing. I never remember to go into BBM to check my channels

Posted via CB10
    I'm talking about BBM groups here not channels

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    02-28-14 06:59 PM
    An app would be pretty cool but with the current Hub integration all is pretty good. Comments and new posts arrive as a Hub notification so I never miss a beat.

Via CB10. Bits, C000C6078 for links to science and technology posts and world news.
    It wouldn't change the hub integration, in fact it would be even sweeter because there would be a separate icon for groups so you know Kind of notification you're getting

The way I see it BBM groups is already it's own application; it's just currently running in the same space as bbm, unless someone can correct me the only time groups links to bbm is when you invite contacts , otherwise it's got a whole bag of its own features, and would stand out more as it's own app (I know currently you can change the 'view' of chats to see just group chats or all chats and this would make that less clustered)

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    02-28-14 07:02 PM
    I don't think it needs to be a separate app. I like it all in one place. I think they need to add forum capability to channels

Posted via CB10 on ZED10
    02-28-14 07:03 PM
    I don't think it needs to be a separate app. I like it all in one place. I think they need to add forum capability to channels

Posted via CB10 on ZED10
    Fair enough you like it all in one place but say how many groups are you involved in know (if you dm saying)? I would bet that it's less than 10 and that's being generous,

If groups was a separate app and they added the ability to search (public) groups (meaning they add the functional to decide if you want your group searchable kind of like channels) then people would be involved in so many more groups,

Also they could have a nice system (again a bit like channels) of deciding which groups to get notifications from, except with the ability to mute a group for a certain period(like whatsapp)

I know it's nice to have everything in one place but one of the reasons apps like vine instagram, snapchat, etc have done so well is their expansion of one feature rather than trying to be everything (like fb). And I think a 'groups only' app would take of really well..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    03-01-14 02:36 AM
    Yup your right. I'm only in 4 groups. And I agree that they are great and should be used more. Maybe your right and people will if it was simpler. Now that it's cross platform in going to try to get more going. Kids soccer team, hockey team, Family etc... it's great for scheduling a group.

Posted via CB10 on ZED10
    03-01-14 09:25 AM
    Separate or not, I would like to see this things in groups:

1. Video and file sharing, upload any kind of file to the group, location, voice note, etc.
    2. See shared pictures and files in chat stream, when someone posts or shares a file post a thumbnail in the chat stream as a link to open the file
    3. Start from where you left or mark unread bubbles so you can easily start reading where you left the last time.
    4. See who has read the message I sent.

Having all these, BBM Groups will be the best of any IM app, I guess these things are not that hard to do.

EDIT: Plus why not, group video conference!
    04-04-14 06:01 PM