With the announcement of the forthcoming BES 12 (BlackBerry announces BES12 - One enterprise mobile device management system for all smartphones | CrackBerry.com) came also the announcement of the dependent Enterprise BBM (The eBBM™ Suite). Interesting stuff that will take a lot of unpacking to make sense of it all but I have one observation....I'm wondering what this means to BlackBerry Collaboration Service (BCS). Essentially BCS leverages on collaboration frameworks such as Microsoft's Lync Server to provide Instant Messaging between BES-connected devices on the Work side of Balance. This has the advantage of being virtually eavesdrop-proof by third parties such as the NSA and nation-states since the encryption keys are managed completely within the organization's BES infrastructure and not by the BlackBerry NOC as it is with BBM.

Point being, it looks like BlackBerry is steering towards creating their own self-standing IM platform for the enterprise which doesn't depend on third party software such as the aforementioned Microsoft Lync. The other negative with BCS is that BlackBerry only has Enterprise IM clients for BlackBerry devices, both for legacy BlackBerrys as well as the new BlackBerry 10 devices. Extrapolating this point further, it may even mean that BlackBerry will, by so doing, provide a collaboration platform which will pull together IM, voice and video messaging cross BlackBerry, iOS, Android, Nokia X, and Windows Phone 8 platforms. I added this last point based on the recent announcement that BBM (vs. eBBM) will soon be available on Windows 8 and Nokia X devices.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-25-14 07:09 PM
    It is definitely more than just lipstick on a pig (as the reference goes). They have been getting input from large corporations on what they are wanting to do MDM wise. I know I have had several meetings with them, and hope to have more in the future. BlackBerry is definitely engaging their customers, let us see if they actually do anything with it.
    After watching and listening to what John had to say about the Enterprise Level (MDM) solution I will have to say that BES12 sounds very promising. I would love to know what the White House suggested! LOL

BlackBerry CEO John Chen speaks about White House talks, future devices, T-Mobile and more! | CrackBerry.com
    Just stopped at the blackberry booth at HIMSS, they told me about BES12, sounds like a great step in the right direction. Also that they will be offering free CAL transfers from older BES systems, as well as CALs from other mdm vendors, sounds like the offer that you can't refuse. I hope my company decides to upgrade from BES 5.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.2141
    02-26-14 11:38 AM
    With the announcement of the forthcoming BES 12 (BlackBerry announces BES12 - One enterprise mobile device management system for all smartphones | CrackBerry.com) came also the announcement of the dependent Enterprise BBM (The eBBM™ Suite). Interesting stuff that will take a lot of unpacking to make sense of it all but I have one observation....I'm wondering what this means to BlackBerry Collaboration Service (BCS). Essentially BCS leverages on collaboration frameworks such as Microsoft's Lync Server to provide Instant Messaging between BES-connected devices on the Work side of Balance. This has the advantage of being virtually eavesdrop-proof by third parties such as the NSA and nation-states since the encryption keys are managed completely within the organization's BES infrastructure and not by the BlackBerry NOC as it is with BBM.

Point being, it looks like BlackBerry is steering towards creating their own self-standing IM platform for the enterprise which doesn't depend on third party software such as the aforementioned Microsoft Lync. The other negative with BCS is that BlackBerry only has Enterprise IM clients for BlackBerry devices, both for legacy BlackBerrys as well as the new BlackBerry 10 devices. Extrapolating this point further, it may even mean that BlackBerry will, by so doing, provide a collaboration platform which will pull together IM, voice and video messaging cross BlackBerry, iOS, Android, Nokia X, and Windows Phone 8 platforms. I added this last point based on the recent announcement that BBM (vs. eBBM) will soon be available on Windows 8 and Nokia X devices.
    Yes, this has been running around in the back of my head as well with Lync/Enterprise IM vs eBBM.
    I know here Enterprise IM isn't all that embraced, more so because of the limited amount of features, issues with the status and no integration for sign on (grab the work email account for single sign on!!). I'm really hoping there is some sort of integration between Lync and eBBM because users on the desktop (and a user doesn't want 2 programs to do the same thing) will be using Lync (assuming BBM for the Desktop actually happens).

However, if I can control from the BES the corporate contact list for BB's and push all the BBM PIN's to the phones, this would be great. Or at least create groups such as Engineering, Corporate, etc.
    02-27-14 07:33 AM
    I agree BlackBerry needs to give us the ability to create Bbm enterprise groups so that the user can communicate with each other. It's also crazy to have 50 user limit on group membership. Cone BlackBerry we are talking about enterprise application here. Where are these crazy limits coming from?
    Last edited by james-007; 03-02-14 at 11:49 AM.
    02-28-14 09:32 PM
    Oops by bad. please delete
    03-02-14 11:45 AM
    Damn, I just got 10.1.3 installed...

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 08:49 PM
    I will be looking forward to testing out BES12 to see it the changes are a big improvement from 10.x. I hope for BRRY's sake they are.
    03-03-14 03:44 PM
    I will be looking forward to testing out BES12 to see it the changes are a big improvement from 10.x. I hope for BRRY's sake they are.
    Care to elaborate? You make it sound like BES10 has been a train wreck to-date. I don't see it that way.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-14 03:14 PM
    This is only good in principle until it's practiced in practicality.
    03-05-14 12:13 PM
    From what I have been told, BES12 is a complete revamp of BES10 interface etc. It should be a substantial upgrade.
    03-05-14 12:22 PM
    From what I have been told, BES12 is a complete revamp of BES10 interface etc. It should be a substantial upgrade.
    The interface isn't the issue with BES it's the functionality and features that are what's stopping it. We have tested BES 10.1.3 (that's what was available at the time) and found there wasn't anything fancy to stop people from using AirWatch, Sophos, or other MDM solutions as their own provider. In fact AirWatch is doing a much better job at the packaging and product features offered as a MDM solution provider that BlackBerry is miles behind. Also until BlackBerry allows companies to add a secondary mailbox from the domain to a users account the companies who have switched to Apple will never switch back BlackBerry. I hope John is paying attention to this... BlackBerry who use to be top of the world is fallen to last place even with their MDM solution, people don't look at smartphones like they use to in the business world. Their device has to do certain things to make their business flow, when it stops doing that for them and the company who sells the device and or MDM solution (aka BBRY) refuses to change with the times they will quickly switch to another product all together.

This is how companies fail. Out off 100% of businesses that are product and or service based, if you don't provide the product and or service to a satisfactory level, 25% of the 100% stick around while the 75% quickly switch and pay someone else more money just to be satisfied in their business flow once more. It's a very hard lesson to learn, some companies completely fall apart in the end while others learn from their lesson and make changes so they don't call into this trap again.

So I hope BES12 is more than just lipstick, it better offer something more that I can't get from any other MDM solution otherwise I will try it and then uninstall it and go back to using EAS until my contract ends with my carrier.
    Last edited by smoothrunnings; 03-06-14 at 01:58 PM.
    03-06-14 10:13 AM
    The interface isn't the issue with BES it's the functionality and features that are what's stopping it. We have tested BES 10.1.3 (that's what was available at the time) and found there wasn't anything fancy to stop people from using AirWatch, Sophos, or other MDM solutions as their own provider. In fact AirWatch is doing a much better job at the packaging and product features offered as a MDM solution provider that BlackBerry is miles behind. Also until BlackBerry allows companies to add a secondary mailbox from the domain to a users account the companies who have switched to Apple will never switch back BlackBerry. I hope John is paying attention to this... BlackBerry who use to be top of the world is fallen to last place even with their MDM solution, people don't look at smartphones like they use to in the business world. Their device has to do certain things to make their business flow, when it stops doing that for them and the company who sells the device and or MDM solution (aka BBRY) refuses to change with the times they will quickly switch to another product all together.

This is how companies fail. Out off 100% of businesses that are product and or service based, if you don't provide the product and or service to a satisfactory level, 25% of the 100% stick around while the 75% quickly switch and pay someone else more money just to be satisfied in their business flow once more. It's a very hard lesson to learn, some companies completely fall apart in the end while others learn from their lesson and make changes so they don't call into this trap again.

So I hope BES12 is more than just lipstick, it better offer something more that I can't get from any other MDM solution otherwise I will try it and then uninstall it and go back to using EAS until my contract ends with my carrier.
    It is definitely more than just lipstick on a pig (as the reference goes). They have been getting input from large corporations on what they are wanting to do MDM wise. I know I have had several meetings with them, and hope to have more in the future. BlackBerry is definitely engaging their customers, let us see if they actually do anything with it.
    app_Developer likes this.
    03-07-14 07:24 AM
    After watching and listening to what John had to say about the Enterprise Level (MDM) solution I will have to say that BES12 sounds very promising. I would love to know what the White House suggested! LOL

BlackBerry CEO John Chen speaks about White House talks, future devices, T-Mobile and more! | CrackBerry.com
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    03-08-14 08:51 AM

I cannot speak for the White House, but I know that many many large government agencies (including the DoD) have been talking to BlackBerry directly for a long time. That is, unfortunately, why devices were so locked down prior.
    03-10-14 06:27 PM
    So any timeline on BES12? And free upgrade from BES10?
    03-21-14 10:38 AM
    So any timeline on BES12? And free upgrade from BES10?
    Almost certainly the same as previous major upgrades. Also, time line I believe is this fall, September ish

Posted via CB10
    03-23-14 05:04 PM
    It's nice to hear John Chen saying recently that BES12 will be an all-in-one server for all of BlackBerry's devices including their legacy ones.
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    04-02-14 12:05 PM
    It's nice to hear John Chen saying recently that BES12 will be an all-in-one server for all of BlackBerry's devices including their legacy ones.
    I have yet to see it (trying to) but I have been told that UDS has been redone quite a bit. I hope they bring it on par with BDS, that would be a much better offering
    strongo likes this.
    04-03-14 07:31 AM
    Looks like a Desktop eBBM client is in the works.

BlackBerry Touts 'BlackBerry Classic' Phone, Cross-Platform Support | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Sims mentioned some upcoming features that might help juice up excitement around BlackBerry's services. Desktop video chat will be coming to the enterprise version of BlackBerry Messenger, although probably not to the consumer version because "we haven't seen the pull from the consumer market" for a desktop client
    04-15-14 04:10 AM
    I'm also looking forward to test BES 12. Hopefully I will soon be part of the beta program with all it's goodies and the ... NDA :-|

I am kind of dissapointed with BlackBerrys lack of innovation:
    BlackBerry got "UDS" from the acquisition of Ubitexx in 2011. It was definitively not the most advanced product, but the easiest to implement at that time. This was crusial because BlackBerry decided to go "multi-platform" (Mobile Fusion). Secure Work Space is the most important addition, but BES 10/BES 5 is still 3 separate products with yet another management console on top. What a patchwork!

My hope for BES 12 is
    - Keep BES 5 on a "maintenence level" but make installation and integration transparent and easy
    - Rewrite BES 10 from scratch for memory and performance and provide a "unified feeling" thoughout the product with only one management console. BDS and UDS are still (BES 10) two completely different products and they look and feel very different. The design from the UDS and BlackBerry Management Console is much more modern than BDS.
    - Make software deployment MUCH easier: Interface must integrate directly into Google Play, MS Store, Apple AppStore and BlackBerry World (search and deployment scenarios).

Ease of use and consistent UI design should be an important part of their ongoing focus.
    04-21-14 08:10 AM
    I'm also looking forward to test BES 12. Hopefully I will soon be part of the beta program with all it's goodies and the ... NDA :-|

I am kind of dissapointed with BlackBerrys lack of innovation:
    BlackBerry got "UDS" from the acquisition of Ubitexx in 2011. It was definitively not the most advanced product, but the easiest to implement at that time. This was crusial because BlackBerry decided to go "multi-platform" (Mobile Fusion). Secure Work Space is the most important addition, but BES 10/BES 5 is still 3 separate products with yet another management console on top. What a patchwork!

My hope for BES 12 is
    - Keep BES 5 on a "maintenence level" but make installation and integration transparent and easy
    - Rewrite BES 10 from scratch for memory and performance and provide a "unified feeling" thoughout the product with only one management console. BDS and UDS are still (BES 10) two completely different products and they look and feel very different. The design from the UDS and BlackBerry Management Console is much more modern than BDS.
    - Make software deployment MUCH easier: Interface must integrate directly into Google Play, MS Store, Apple AppStore and BlackBerry World (search and deployment scenarios).

Ease of use and consistent UI design should be an important part of their ongoing focus.
    The BES10 cloud preview is definitely a good start. I would hope that this is what BES12 will look and feel like. There is no need for separate consoles for BDS/UDS and the management studio. BES5, I hope, will be just a checkbox during installation, and will automatically pipe into this new console for just about everything. Wishful thinking likely, but who knows.
    04-21-14 08:37 AM
    Will it have support for cPanel? Or is there a technical reason why it can't be done? I feel there will be a large boost in BES usage once this is done. I know I'm going to get BES once they support cPanel

Posted via CB10
    04-30-14 09:11 PM