Go to Costco in Canada and try and find a BlackBerry at the Wireless etc. Not gonna happen. They will not carry any BlackBerry products.

I asked the sales rep why and the response was a shoulder shrug and a chuckle... very unprofessional

Posted using my amazing and intelligent Z10
    02-23-14 07:13 AM
    While this is a free market I have a fundamental issue with this. American are into iPhone because is a good product but also American. We need to show the same here

On the fast Z30
    02-23-14 07:22 AM
    What do you expect from a minimum wage commission salesperson?

Posted via CB10
    02-23-14 07:59 AM
    It's not so much the sales side as opposed to the idea that the business won't even carry a single BlackBerry product. That's the shameful part that I'm most disappointed about.

02-23-14 08:07 AM
    It's not so much the sales side as opposed to the idea that the business won't even carry a single BlackBerry product. That's the shameful part that I'm most disappointed about.

It's surely no surprise that retail stores stock items that they can sell - hopefully in volume and at high margins. Store space is expensive and won't be maintained if its not bringing a return.

P.S. Canada doing well in the ice-hockey btw.
    02-23-14 08:18 AM
    ...you mean the NHL IS DOING GREAT IN HOCKEY LOL So much for the amateur level in men's hockey lol.....i don't shop at Costco anyways

Posted via CB10
    02-23-14 08:27 AM
    It's sad that Americans stand behind their products but Canada doesn't stand behind theirs. It seems like we just follow what ever the Americans do..

Posted via CB10
    02-23-14 08:29 AM
    I was just there yesterday in Vancouver and they were selling blackberries right at the front of the kiosk

C001B7B16 The Gif Exchange
    02-23-14 08:47 AM
    It's sad that Americans stand behind their products but Canada doesn't stand behind theirs. It seems like we just follow what ever the Americans do..

Posted via CB10
    Just my opinion, but patriotism shouldn't really figure in the purchase of a mobile phone. You should surely buy the best phone that works for you. If enough people *don't* buy any particular phone, the imperative is on that manufacturer to improve the product so that potential buyers *are* attracted to it. Overall feature sets improve across the board, and every consumer wins!

Back in my youth, there was a "Buy British" campaign. My abiding memories of that period were seeing a succession of unattractive, expensive clunky cars being offered to tempt patriots. Lots of people didn't fall for this confidence trick and bought Japanese cars instead, and the British Motor industry started to produce much nicer cars in order to compete.
    02-23-14 08:48 AM
    The issue Costco has is they just have a tiny phone Kiosk. They do not have enough display room for phones that are not selling. I do not recall Costco selling iphones either probably other reasons other than sales.
    theRock1975 likes this.
    02-23-14 09:06 PM
    Yup its true. My friend broke his iPhone and he was apparently inspired to go with bb10 after hearing me talk it up so much. When he went to costco, he asked for a z10 and they said we don't have any so he walked out with a GS3

Posted via CB10
    02-23-14 09:44 PM
    There is no Canadian support for BlackBerry. The company that help build the technology industry and create so many direct and indirect jobs...Its a pitty...Even Canadian government is not supporting them..Its sad..BB is a great company with great products.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-14 09:58 PM
    What do you expect from a minimum wage commission salesperson?

Posted via CB10
    Oh so this is what caused the other thread!

Posted via CB10
    02-23-14 10:19 PM
    Just my opinion, but patriotism shouldn't really figure in the purchase of a mobile phone. You should surely buy the best phone that works for you. If enough people *don't* buy any particular phone, the imperative is on that manufacturer to improve the product so that potential buyers *are* attracted to it. Overall feature sets improve across the board, and every consumer wins!

Back in my youth, there was a "Buy British" campaign. My abiding memories of that period were seeing a succession of unattractive, expensive clunky cars being offered to tempt patriots. Lots of people didn't fall for this confidence trick and bought Japanese cars instead, and the British Motor industry started to produce much nicer cars in order to compete.
    It doesn't hurt as a consideration especially if you really have no major complaints with the product. All phones have issues which is never covered in the marketing materials. What's the difference between that and being influenced by a multi billion dollar marketing campaign? BTW Costco in Regina carries Q10 but no Z30 so they lost out on my last 2 phones.
    02-24-14 11:26 AM
    First of all, there is a good chance that the cell phone sales operation is contracted out to a separate company. For example, the alcohol and prescription meds are at Costco are usually done by a different company.

Second, the entire business proposition of a place like Costco is to offer a highly restricted selection (mostly no choices) of products and to make the manufacturers compete with each other for the slots. It's ridiculous to think that a store that offers only one kind of ketchup or beans or hot dogs is going to offer the full selection of available smartphone brands.

BTW, one of the reasons why Costco doesn't carry Apple products is that arch rival Wal-Mart made a deal with Apple for iPad exclusivity and possibly iPhone exclusivity. At one point, you could get the iPods including the iPod Touch at Costco but they got rid of all of their Apple products after the iPad thing.
    02-24-14 11:37 AM
    The issue Costco has is they just have a tiny phone Kiosk. They do not have enough display room for phones that are not selling. I do not recall Costco selling iphones either probably other reasons other than sales.
    Costco doesn't sell any Apple products. I guess they didn't get the memo requiring American companies to universally support other American companies.
    02-24-14 12:22 PM
    Costco does not sell Apple because they were discounting them and Apple yanked the account for doing that - happened a few years ago.
    02-24-14 12:25 PM
    Costco does not sell Apple because they were discounting them and Apple yanked the account for doing that - happened a few years ago.
    I think that's part of it. If Costco was discounting then that would explain why Apple wouldn't allow them to sell iPads, which led to the end of the relationship.

Costco to no longer sell Apple products due to iPad snub
    02-24-14 12:29 PM
    Aren't the people who have those kiosks from some contract company? I don't believe they are Costco employees neither are the phones/plans thru Costco.
    02-24-14 12:29 PM
    Danny, I believe people follow iPhones because they are unwilling to make a decision for themselves & find it easier to follow herd mentality - just like in high school.
    02-24-14 12:30 PM
    Danny, I believe people follow iPhones because they are unwilling to make a decision for themselves & find it easier to follow herd mentality - just like in high school.
    Except "the herd" is with Android, which accounts for something like 80% of devices sold worldwide. So, if they're following the herd, why are they following the smaller herd instead of the larger one?
    02-24-14 12:33 PM
    Just a FYI, those stores in Costco are not run by Costco it's actually a 3rd party store that is under Glenel. So it's like a wireless wave or t booth.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 12:40 PM