Hello fellow crackberrians!

Well, monday is my bday, so my fianc� tells me to run up to the AT&T store and get myself a Q10 for an early present (score!)

I walk in, look around and , not surprisingly, find no BlackBerrys anywhere -- I had read on here that they are no longer in stores, but I hoped I might get lucky. The young saleslady and her two young male coworkers asked what I was interested in, I say "the Q10", and you would have thought I called them the most offensive word you could imagine.

The young salesladies first response? "Why would you want THAT phone?"

What ensued then, was me arguing the finer points of BB10. The staff was pleasant, don't get me wrong, but I found their lack of knowledge frightening. This saleslady didn't know how to get back to the home screen (I told her to swipe up) and that you could side load Android apps to it.

They told me they could order one, but I passed instead and headed home slightly perturbed by their attitude towards the device more than their lack of knowledge.

I get home, tell my better-half about it and she calls AT&T up to order the phone. It gets worse.

This sales rep tries to talk her out of it, saying "You do know they've went bankrupt and you might not get support for the phone right?" (Wha??)

She gets the order placed, and come tuesday, I'll be rocking a Q10!

The thing that really bothers me though, is that the lack of knowledge (and outright misinformation) from retail stores is because BlackBerry doesn't 'sell' the devices to store staff. They don't show them how to use them, don't address the app catalog with them and basically rely on us consumers to do the selling for them.

I sincerely hope John Chen changes that mindset soon. It won't help BlackBerry at all to release new devices if they won't work with retailers to setup displays, answer questions and show staffers how to use their devices.

Any of you have a similar story?
    02-21-14 09:26 PM
    Same thing in Atlanta. AT&T don't have BlackBerry on display anymore, and sales people try to steer you clear of them. Sad really...
    Pilot Prop and JesseBabe23 like this.
    02-21-14 09:31 PM
    When I called verizon to order it (ya I ordered over the phone) the sales rep did the same

Posted via CB10
    02-21-14 09:38 PM
    Same thing in Atlanta. AT&T don't have BlackBerry on display anymore, and sales people try to steer you clear of them. Sad really...
    Tell me about it....walking into an At&T store here is the worst for BlackBerry enthusiasts....

Posted via Q10
    Sporatic likes this.
    02-21-14 11:32 PM
    I have a very different story, but it's not ATT. It's Sprint.
    I went into one of my many local stores to steal my daughter's upgrade and get myself a Q. They didn't have one, but called another store. That store had one, put it on hold for me. Drove the 5 mins there, walked in with my 9900 in hand and the guy immediately asked if i was the Q hold. Yep. He pulled it from the cabinet (it was the display one, last one in the store) and fires it up. It has a BUNCH of software updates to do, then it takes a while to activate on the upgrade line, then switch from the upgrade line to my line. Then some more updating and finally It's ready. It took literally about 90minutes from start to finish, and the sales guy kept saying how great BB is with security (hence the issue with swapping from upgrade line to my line) and how nice the phone is to use. He knew all of the swipes and showed me around the hub. He told me about the desktop software and how to back up the 9900 and bring stuff over to the Q. I know that Sprint isn't known for their service, and I've even had issues with it myself in the past, but this guy was top-notch. I will go back to his store for every upgrade, repair, whatever else I need b/c he was so great! Yes, i realize that I may have just gotten lucky that this one guy in particular knew the BB brand (as he talked on his galaxy, lol), and it's probably not a common thing. But it was a great experience!
    02-22-14 09:18 AM
    No, you're not alone at all. I've been with Sprint for many years and while I have issues at times with their service, I've always found the blackberry knowledge and experience inside the stores just fine. A couple of folks almost ALMOST border on my knowledge of the BB that I get here from Crackberry
    02-22-14 10:25 AM
    Atleast the AT&T lady knows what a Q10 is.. unlike some T-mobile people who think you are talking of the 9900. Tech-less mortals.
    02-22-14 10:58 AM
    I can't stand it when they do that.

Posted from my BlackBerry Q10 on AT&T
    02-22-14 01:01 PM
    Same story in the Netherlands when I ordered a Q10 over the phone. Are you sure you want a Blackberry I was told, don't think you'll get anything back for your phone after your contract expires.

At least as a techie, I knew what I was getting but how about the thousands that don't? Well, I got another Q10 for my daughter and she couldn't be happier.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 01:34 PM
    Same thing happened at Verizon. I bought a Q10, Z10 and a Z30. That shut them up.

Posted via CB10
    JAS0NB0URNE likes this.
    02-22-14 02:19 PM
    Same exact thing happened to me both times I went into an AT&T store to search for the Q10 before I just ended up purchasing it online. The guy at the first store wouldn't even order the Q10 for me, and the guy at the second store spent at least 5 minutes online seeing if he could order it for me, and said, "BlackBerry has sure taken a tole these last couple of months." I actually feel really irritated and annoyed when reps act like this. Just because I'm not coming in here for an iPhone or an Android doesn't mean that I'm any less of a contract holder. I've had the iPhone for almost 5 years, on and off from switching to a BlackBerry when I get bored with my iPhone (which is often) and I love when the reps ask, "Why would you go from a BlackBerry to an iPhone?" Like, I'm going from an iPhone to a flip phone. It's ridiculous and I feel like it's not very professional.

Like others have said, I really hope that BlackBerry works with the carries one-on-one next time they release a new phone, and maybe reassure all carriers as well that they're NOT GOING BANKRUPT. I don't like having to defend a brand that shouldn't even need help defending.
    02-22-14 02:28 PM
    Hello fellow crackberrians!

Well, monday is my bday, so my fianc� tells me to run up to the AT&T store and get myself a Q10 for an early present (score!)

I walk in, look around and , not surprisingly, find no BlackBerrys anywhere -- I had read on here that they are no longer in stores, but I hoped I might get lucky. The young saleslady and her two young male coworkers asked what I was interested in, I say "the Q10", and you would have thought I called them the most offensive word you could imagine.

The young salesladies first response? "Why would you want THAT phone?"

What ensued then, was me arguing the finer points of BB10. The staff was pleasant, don't get me wrong, but I found their lack of knowledge frightening. This saleslady didn't know how to get back to the home screen (I told her to swipe up) and that you could side load Android apps to it.

They told me they could order one, but I passed instead and headed home slightly perturbed by their attitude towards the device more than their lack of knowledge.

I get home, tell my better-half about it and she calls AT&T up to order the phone. It gets worse.

This sales rep tries to talk her out of it, saying "You do know they've went bankrupt and you might not get support for the phone right?" (Wha??)

She gets the order placed, and come tuesday, I'll be rocking a Q10!

The thing that really bothers me though, is that the lack of knowledge (and outright misinformation) from retail stores is because BlackBerry doesn't 'sell' the devices to store staff. They don't show them how to use them, don't address the app catalog with them and basically rely on us consumers to do the selling for them.

I sincerely hope John Chen changes that mindset soon. It won't help BlackBerry at all to release new devices if they won't work with retailers to setup displays, answer questions and show staffers how to use their devices.

Any of you have a similar story?
    Same experience in San Diego. However, they do have a Z and Q on display, but mixed with other phones. The lack of knowledge is amazing. The salesman I spoke to did not know BB10 could ran some Android apps let alone 10.2.1 could install APKs directly. You should have seen his face after I asked him which Android app he wanted to try, I downloaded and installed, and let him play with it on my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 02:57 PM
    When I called verizon to order it (ya I ordered over the phone) the sales rep did the same

Posted via CB10
    Verizon in San Diego had only a Z30 on display mixed with the Motorola phones under a Moto X sign. The salesman came over and said, "oh, you are looking at the BlackBerry. Where you interested in a Motorola phone?"

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 03:02 PM
    Let me tell you about mine lol

I couldn't get the first Q10 to activate for anything. Something seriously wrong with it. I called AT&T up because the store people were useless - literally. The lady was very nice and gave me the numbers to all the local stores so I could call them before I returned the phone. Then she goes well I have a Blackberry Torch I could give you for free instead and I laughed. Told her there was no way that was going to happen and I'd call back if none of the stores had one in stock - which they didn't. Did the return, got another one and it works! On 10.2.1 myself since AT&T won't push out the update and I'm cruising now.
    02-22-14 04:48 PM
    Whenever I walked into an AT&T store in Columbia SC looking for a hands on w/a functioning model I got the same response....."I use an iPhone - don't know why anyone would want "that". Then I go into a Verizon to look at the Z30 and find out there are NO BBs in stock. Matter of fact, they have a "stand" w/the BB "header" (similar to what you see w/ "Android" & "Windows" phones) on it but those shelves were filled with cell phone accessories. Of course they could order one but they have none in stock. BOTH stores are off of the Killian Street exit on I-77 Northbound out of Columbia.
    02-22-14 06:54 PM
    Wow. it really shows just what BlackBerry is up against -- especially here in the states. I guess if what these sales reps were saying was true, i wouldn't be as bothered by it. But when they're spouting out-and-out falsehoods -- I get a bit perturbed.

I'd really love for John Chen and Co. to really come out swinging and launch an aggressive marketing strategy laying out the differences between BlackBerry and the competition.
    02-23-14 05:16 PM
    Folks,

I called around to at least ten different T-Mobile stores this weekend asking about their $200/$250 credit if you're a trading in a Blackberry. Only one store knew about the trade in program.

Today I was porting a number to AT&T in the local AT&T store. They had the Q10 on display (which I would love to have). Ask the sales rep if they've sold many. He said they don't even have any in stock. I showed him my Verizon 9930 and told him I have an Airvoice sim card in it so I can use the Verizon network or AT&T (without data of course). He couldn't believe it.

Fort
    02-23-14 07:17 PM
    When I replaced my 9930 I got my Z30 online from the Verizon website. Specifically for the reason that at the store they have no idea what's going on with BlackBerry. Passed my Z30 to my wife then made the trip to the Verizon store to get my white Q10. So I waited my turn then told the girl I wanted a white Q10 please. First thing she says is you want a what? I then walked her over to the phone and said I would like this device in white. First response, I didn't know they made it in white let me check. This pisses me off. Let you check what ***** I know what I want bring the ******* phone. Those employees at least in that store are mindless drones.

White on White Q10 Baby!
    02-24-14 01:59 AM
    You hit it right on the money. They are Mindless Drones.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 07:48 AM
    I just received my little beast a day early! Just went through the setup and tutorials and have it charging right next to me.

What a hot looking phone guys! Seriously, this thing is gorgeous!

I'm officially back in black baby!
    02-24-14 01:27 PM