From the BBM Blog

Hot on the heels of the latest BBM release, we�re excited to announce that there are even more great new features on their way to BBM. This time, we�re focused on making your BBM chats more fun with the addition of stickers, available in the new BBM Shop!

Unlike emoticons, stickers are bolder, more beautiful images that you can add right in to your chat. Stickers are downloaded in packs available for purchase from the new BBM Shop � found right inside BBM. Each sticker pack will contain between 20-25 stickers relating to a theme or a character like CosCat, Gilbert�s Tales, Bubble Bot and more (we can�t wait for you to meet the whole gang!). You�ll also find some of your favorite characters from TV and movies in sticker form (more on that later). Lastly, many of your favorite BBM emoticons will also be available in a free BBM sticker pack so you can really get your point across in a bigger, bolder way!

Today marks the start of the limited external beta for stickers and the BBM Shop. I�m sure you have lots of questions about how stickers will work and when you can get them. Let me assure you that all your questions will be answered shortly�just leave a note in the comments below.
    Cesare21, schmeat and cbvinh like this.
    02-21-14 11:22 AM
    Wow, brilliant way to monetize BBM and to attract young users all in one sweep!
    02-21-14 11:27 AM
    I was just about to post this...now I wonder what else BBM Shop could bring! Stickers is clearly a simple sale on the shop...$0.99 for a pack of like 20, definitely will sell...but what additional things could BBM offer within the shop!?
    02-21-14 11:49 AM
    I got the New Download Link for BBM Beta with Stickers but dont have BB anymore xD

Windows Blueberry
    02-21-14 01:12 PM
    I was just about to post this...now I wonder what else BBM Shop could bring! Stickers is clearly a simple sale on the shop...$0.99 for a pack of like 20, definitely will sell...but what additional things could BBM offer within the shop!?
    I don't see this being a big seller.
    I just don't believe that a large portion of active bbm users will spend money to send bigger emoticons.
    It won't take long before someone screens them, crops them and posts them and people will just send them as attachments.
    02-21-14 03:16 PM
    It won't take long before someone screens them, crops them and posts them and people will just send them as attachments.
    Did you say the same thing about music files?
    Brandon Orr likes this.
    02-21-14 03:42 PM
    Did you say the same thing about music files?
    No. I didn't.
    It's not even in the same ball park.
    You're welcome to disagree, I'm just c stating my opinion and why i think that. I don't think it's that far fetched.
    Brandon Orr likes this.
    02-21-14 03:44 PM
    Does anyone older than 20 use emoticons or emojis or these stickers? I must be outside of that market because I can't see me using these at all.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-14 03:45 PM
    No. I didn't.
    It's not even in the same ball park.
    You're welcome to disagree, I'm just c stating my opinion and why i think that. I don't think it's that far fetched.
    Well, it is copyrighted material that you're saying everyone will just pirate. While some may pirate, some will want the convenience of easily dropping in a sticker without having to search through directories/files (convenience and cost trumps hassles of pirating). This, of course, is contingent on how easy it is to add stickers into BBM's and how easy it is to buy stickers.

I can see a conflict between kids wanting more stickers and parents trying to control their pocketbook and not have their kids buy stickers on their own. Parents probably already have a system to deal with this, with music, so it shouldn't be a big issue.
    02-21-14 03:56 PM
    Well, it is copyrighted material that you're saying everyone will just pirate. While some may pirate, some will want the convenience of easily dropping in a sticker without having to search through directories/files (convenience and cost trumps hassles of pirating). This, of course, is contingent on how easy it is to add stickers into BBM's and how easy it is to buy stickers.

I can see a conflict between kids wanting more stickers and parents trying to control their pocketbook and not have their kids buy stickers on their own. Parents probably already have a system to deal with this, with music, so it shouldn't be a big issue.
    You're arguing a dumb point imo. That was just an afterthought I had, and not the reason I don't think this will sell.
    You don't seem to realize who mostly uses these things (young people), what they have little of (money), and what they have a lot of (time).
    I just don't believe that there are that many people willing to pay money for large emoticons. But what the f do I know? Someone who is smarter than me thinks it will obviously.
    02-21-14 04:02 PM
    Does anyone older than 20 use emoticons or emojis or these stickers? I must be outside of that market because I can't see me using these at all.
    I'm thinking the appeal is for kids too, though if they had something like classic video game characters, I can see 20+ users using it too.

If BlackBerry were to open up stickers to third parties and do the 70/30% revenue split, like with apps, I can see this growing quite a bit. However, they should start with licensed/brand characters and curated third party stickers first before opening it up to any yahoo. Opening up to just anyone right off could dimish the quality reputation of the store before it can even get rolling.
    02-21-14 04:07 PM
    This is neat! Interested to see how they add features to bring in revenue from BBM. I wish they would refine channels a bit more, I would like to be able to block people who keep chatting my channel. :/
    02-21-14 04:42 PM
    I see a lot of discounting what BlackBerry is doing. Too many nay sayers sayings this or that won't work. On one hand every one complains they are not doing enough and when they try different things lot of nay sayers. Same on BlackBerry blog too.

From my perspective if they earn a dollar it is a dollar more than they are earning now.

Besides this may be a test case for bbm shop. Start with something simple as selling stickers, work out the bugs and add more stuff.
    Who knows bbm music might make a come back in a different form. The possibilities are endless.

G

Posted via CB10
    dusdal, HUNTZODIAC and web99 like this.
    02-21-14 04:57 PM

Posted via CB10
    I'm 21 and guess what, I use emoticons more than a 10 year old kid.

Posted via CB10
    dusdal and HUNTZODIAC like this.
    02-21-14 05:21 PM
    I'm 21 and guess what, I use emoticons more than a 10 year old kid.

Posted via CB10
    That's good for some people I guess. Thankfully my friends coworkers and business associates don't use them.

I'm sure there are people who will but it's not for me.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-14 05:27 PM
    Colored screen is not essential either but people still prefer it to b/w.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-14 05:47 PM
    I see a lot of discounting what BlackBerry is doing. Too many nay sayers sayings this or that won't work. On one hand every one complains they are not doing enough and when they try different things lot of nay sayers. Same on BlackBerry blog too.

From my perspective if they earn a dollar it is a dollar more than they are earning now.

Besides this may be a test case for bbm shop. Start with something simple as selling stickers, work out the bugs and add more stuff.
    Who knows bbm music might make a come back in a different form. The possibilities are endless.

G

Posted via CB10
    You. Understand

Posted via CB10
    02-21-14 05:51 PM
    29 been in business for a number of years and I use emoticons all the time. Same way I use facial expressions in real life.

Also, having something like stickers available along with the launch of a < $200 device might work out quite well.

As was said earlier, the Bbm shop is likely the more important item in this beta.

Posted via CB10
    HUNTZODIAC likes this.
    02-21-14 05:54 PM
    Colored screen is not essential either but people still prefer it to b/w.

Posted via CB10
    That's a bad exampke
    02-21-14 06:08 PM
    What if BBM Channels could act like ads... big companies create Channels, user clicks generate cash like ads do. Companies eventually pay to be on the Featured Channels page. Boom --- Revenue

Posted via CB10
    02-21-14 06:12 PM

G

Posted via CB10
    I agree with everything you just typed

Posted via CB10
    02-21-14 06:47 PM