Hi. I currently use a 32gb MSD card in my Z10. It used to be plenty, but since out little one appeared 4 months ago, it's been gradually filling up!

I'm looking getting a 64gb card to give me loads more space. However, currently I have about 5000 photos, and 200+ videos - and they are all arranged into folders - about a hundred separate ones for photos, and 30 for the vids.

I have no worries about how to switch SD cards and the transfer from one to the other, either using my PC directly by putting the cards in, or using BlackBerry Link - but... will I lose all my folders, and will I just end up will 5000 photos all mixed up and having to be reorganised?

Cheers.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 02:07 AM
    1. Open Windows File Manager

2. Connect your Z10 using your USB cable

3. Copy all the contents of your existing SD card onto the PC using Windows File Manager

4. Remove the existing SD card

5. Insert the new one and format

6. Copy from the PC all the contents from 1. using Windows File Manager

7. Everything should be there in the same order (including folders) as your 32GB SD card
    Stwutter likes this.
    02-20-14 02:29 AM
    I have 41Gb of 'Other Data' on my SanDisk which I want to delete but can't find the files. They aren't in the File Manager app.

Could they be bought movies which I've re-downloaded after a new OS as the license for the movies had expired ?

Not to detract from OP's post

Posted from my Z30 via CB10 app
    02-20-14 02:54 AM
    That's a lot of personal media.

Z10 STL100-3 >>>>>>>>Leaks 1055, 1259, 1925
    02-20-14 05:46 AM
    I have 41Gb of 'Other Data' on my SanDisk which I want to delete but can't find the files. They aren't in the File Manager app.

Could they be bought movies which I've re-downloaded after a new OS as the license for the movies had expired ?

No probs.
    Ben1232 likes this.
    02-20-14 05:52 AM
    1. Open Windows File Manager

2. Connect your Z10 using your USB cable

3. Copy all the contents of your existing SD card onto the PC using Windows File Manager

4. Remove the existing SD card

5. Insert the new one and format

6. Copy from the PC all the contents from 1. using Windows File Manager

7. Everything should be there in the same order (including folders) as your 32GB SD card
    Cheers. I'll certainly try that.
    02-20-14 05:52 AM
    Does z10 support 64? Or 32 is the max?

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 05:55 AM
    Does z10 support 64? Or 32 is the max?

Posted via CB10
    64gb.

64's come formatted as 'exFAT' I believe, so the card MUST be formatted in the phone before use (or in the PC making sure exFAT is not used, which I think is a Microsoft thing), or you'll only get a small amount of space to use - 4gb I think it is. I think this caused a lot of problems with people getting 64gb cards when the Z10 was released and thinking they were faulty or had been ripped-off.
    02-20-14 06:06 AM

Use the Sandisk on your computer(via an adapter would be preferred over connecting to the phone, for speed sake), and then run WinDirStat on the drive(link: https://windirstat.info/) This app creates a "visualization" of your drive that lets you see easily what's taking up space. I'm not sure how well(if at all) it works with drives connected via blackberry link, so I'd recommend plugging the card in direct.

I use this app all the time on my PC due to my limited space SSD drive I bought.
    Ben1232 likes this.
    02-20-14 07:22 AM
    Use the Sandisk on your computer(via an adapter would be preferred over connecting to the phone, for speed sake), and then run WinDirStat on the drive(link: https://windirstat.info/) This app creates a "visualization" of your drive that lets you see easily what's taking up space. I'm not sure how well(if at all) it works with drives connected via blackberry link, so I'd recommend plugging the card in direct.

I use this app all the time on my PC due to my limited space SSD drive I bought.
    Cheers I'll give that a go.

02-20-14 10:41 AM

Nice little program. Thank you for that.

I've been using MeinPlatz Software for professionals and beginners
    02-20-14 05:26 PM
    *Update*

So, the 64gb transfer went OK. Stuff copied to my desktop and then the new card was formatted (altho' I noticed that the Z10 recognised the card with 62.4gb free before the format), then dragged my files to the SD card.

Once it settled, all pix and files were fine, but about half (over 100) of my videos are unplayable - these are actually missing in the videos app, and they appear 'greyed-out' in videos in the file manager.

Not sure why this is? Gonna try and restore the vids from my most recent back-up tomorrow to see if that solves it.

Posted via CB10
    Stephen Weighell likes this.
    02-20-14 09:30 PM
    *Update*

So, the 64gb transfer went OK. Stuff copied to my desktop and then the new card was formatted (altho' I noticed that the Z10 recognised the card with 62.4gb free before the format), then dragged my files to the SD card.

Once it settled, all pix and files were fine, but about half (over 100) of my videos are unplayable - these are actually missing in the videos app, and they appear 'greyed-out' in videos in the file manager.

Not sure why this is? Gonna try and restore the vids from my most recent back-up tomorrow to see if that solves it.

Posted via CB10
    Check that the card is really a 64 GB card and not a fake one. There are some cards that are made to seem as 64 GB when in reality they are 32 GB. I bought a supposed SanDisk card through Amazon that did the same thing. Files would disappear after a while and could load about 25 GB only without giving problems. The card also became unreadable at times and the phone asked if I wanted to format it. I returned the card for a refund. This was a frequent problem based on all the complains in the reviews.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 09:51 PM
    Check that the card is really a 64 GB card and not a fake one. There are some cards that are made to seem as 64 GB when in reality they are 32 GB. I bought a supposed SanDisk card through Amazon that did the same thing. Files would disappear after a while and could load about 25 GB only without giving problems. The card also became unreadable at times and the phone asked if I wanted to format it. I returned the card for a refund. This was a frequent problem based on all the complains in the reviews.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks.

I doubt this is the case tho, as the first things loaded up was the videos, and that only took 8gb of space. And regardless of what order I reload my files back on, it's the same videos that won't play, which I think rules out the possibility of it being a space issue. I does seem to be particular vids - they seem to all be ones that I have received or DL, as opposed to ones taken with my phone - this still doesn't explain why they played before tho.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 10:07 PM
    There is a bug in the BB10 that when you try to download a movie or interrupt it that it takes the space of the entire movie out of what you have! Thus your SD card can fill up very quickly. The only fix appears to be to re-format the SD card. This doesn't happen to the device itself! Therefore I tend to download movies to the phone memory and manually move them over to the SD card. A real phaff but don't know any other way of getting it to work.
    02-21-14 03:09 AM
    Ok, a further update on my OP, in case it's of use or anyone can add some advice?

Having taken the pix/vids off my 32gb card onto my PC, formatting the 64gb card in the Z10, and then dragging/dropping the files onto it, I found that all the pictures are fine - an all in their respective folders - but about 50% - over 100 - videos are unplayable, stutter or just stop halfway thru. These ones are in my videos, but in the file-manage they are greyed out.

I then tried exactly the same process, but, instead of just using windows, I used BB Link, but the result was the same.

I'm pretty sure it's not the new card - a lot of the videos are fine, and all of the pictures & a few music files I have. And when it's formatted, it's shows over 62gb of space. Maybe it's just the fact that the Z10 (and BB10, or maybe all smartphones, generally) have trouble with 64gb cards? The only other idea I've had is to format the card via my PC instead of in the phone. I'm not sure if this will make any difference, but make give it a go anyway.

Anyone else done a similar thing - have you had the same issues or does your 64gb card run as it should??

Cheers.
    02-21-14 07:23 AM
    Rather than copying videos in bulk, try copying one or two at a time unless you've already tried that. How large are the messed up files?
    02-21-14 11:16 AM